Friday, November 5, 2010

Episode 110

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you the final daily episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "Why Not Your Baby", Part 8

Yesterday, Thomas arrived for dinner and saw that Darlene had dollied herself up for it.  Meanwhile, Cy served up the dishes to be ate.  The dish he made was one of his own design, one which he dubbed Chicken Debralee after his mother. 
As we begin today, the dinner is about to become business...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Now, let's get down to the business at hand." says Conrad.

"What business at hand?" asks Thomas.

"The news." says Conrad.

"Can't we start eating?" asks Cy.

"We could." says Conrad.

"Good idea." says Cy as he puts a bite of food in his mouth.

"No, Conrad's right. I should tell you the news." says Darlene.

"What news?" asks Thomas as he swallows a bite of food.

"Thomas... I'm pregnant." says Darlene.

"What?" says Thomas after a moment of shock.

"I'm pregnant." says Darlene.

"Whose baby is it?" asks Thomas.

"Yours." says Darlene.

"Mine?" coughs Thomas as he tries to swallow another bite of food.

"Easy, Thomas. No use dying now." says Cy.

"Are you sure it's mine?" asks Thomas.

"You're the only man she's been with during the necessary period of time." says Cy.

"The only one, period." says Conrad.

"Darlene, why didn't you tell me earlier?" asks Thomas.

"Because she didn't wanting you leaving town." says Conrad.

"Conrad, keep out of this." says Cy.

"I wasn't sure how you would handle it." says Darlene.

"Darlene, I love you. You're the first one, besides Cy, to see more to me than an ex-con." says Thomas.

"Good one." says Conrad with a chuckle.

"Conrad, one more remark like that and I'll shove that plate down your throat." says Cy.

"Do you mean that?" asks Darlene quietly.

"I do." says Thomas.

"Remember that phrase." says Cy, taking a bite of food.

"Darlene, you mean a lot to me." says Thomas, getting out of his chair and walking over to Darlene's chair.

"I do?" asks Darlene.

"Yes. I know that you have one baby and now, we've made another." says Thomas.

"By the way, where is little Debralee?" asks Cy.

"Quiet." says Thomas.

"Okay." says Cy.

"Darlene, I wanna be by you during this, no matter what." says Thomas.

"You mean that, as well?" asks Darlene.

"With all my heart." says Thomas.

"I can't believe this." says Conrad to Cy.

"Believe what?" asks Cy.

"That Thomas loves her, if though she's carrying his child." says Conrad.

"I don't catch your drift." says Cy.

"Thomas should have left the very second he heard about that baby." says Conrad.

"Why would you think that?" asks Cy.

"Because that's what happened with you." says Conrad.

"My father was a truck driver." says Cy.

"This is your fault." says Conrad.

"What?" asks Cy.

"You brought these two together. He de-flowered my sister, knocked her up, and all you've done is to increase the damage." says Conrad.

"Increase the damage?" says Cy.

"You're ruining my sister and you know it!" says Conrad, who then gets up from the table and leaves the room.

"Touchy." says Cy as he takes another bite of food.

The next day, Cy is walking his way down the hallway to the green room. Where he gets there, he finds Phil on the green room phone, talking to someone.

"Fine. I'll tell him." says Phil, who then hangs up.

"What is this now? Replacing Loni?" asks Cy.

"I was just talking to Conrad." says Phil.

"Oh, yes. Did he tell you about last night?" says Cy.

"I managed to get a objective view out of his rant about it." says Phil.

"I thought I had damaged his sister, when it was only for the greater good." says Cy.

"Say, what happened after Conrad left?" asks Phil.

"Well, Darlene and Thomas spent the rest of the dinner talking about the baby and how to go about things." says Cy.

"And what did they come up with?" asks Phil.

"That he would stay around and move into his old house, so Darlene can move in with him and raise both little Debralee and her future sibling together." says Cy.

"That's a good plan." says Phil.

"I know it is. I just ate while they planned." says Cy.

"Conrad told me about that Chicken Debralee." says Phil.

"It's a wonderful dish. Remind me to give you the recipe sometime." says Cy.

"When did you come up with that?" asks Phil.

"When I was bored once making dinner. I just made it up and since it had a tendency to remind me of my mother, I named it for her." says Cy.

"I must try it sometime." says Phil.

"I make some for you." says Cy.

"Thanks." says Phil.

"Say, when did Conrad say he would in?" asks Cy.

"Oh, he said that he was not coming into work today." says Phil.

"Oh, more sickness?" says Cy.

"No, he told me he wasn't work with you ever again." says Phil.

"What?" asks Cy.

"He said that as long as you work here, he won't." says Phil.

"I guess this business of keeping our personal arguement off the air has failed." says Cy.

"I'm your new co-host, aren't I?" asks Phil.

"You are, until Conrad comes back." says Cy.

"But when will that be?" asks Phil.

"Leave that up to me." says Cy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
This concludes the daily series of Life in Hyperion.  Tune in three weeks from today on Friday at 8:00 pm to see the first weekly episode of the series, which follows from this point in the storyline.  Tune in and see how Cy fixes his friendship with Conrad.
 
Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.
 
A production of WGN Chicago.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment