Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Episode 58

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "Believe Me When I Tell You", Part 4

Yesterday, Thomas let in the strange woman and found out two things: that she is a relative who knew Thomas' departed mother and father, and two, that her name is Mary Hartman.  While trying to wonder if he should tell Cy about her, Cy himself takes in a dog from off the streets. 
As we begin, Cy, Conrad, and the dog are making their way downtown...

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Some time later, Cy, Conrad, and the dog are making their way past the police station when they met by Chief McIntyre, walking into their path.

"Hello, Chief McIntyre." says Conrad.

"Hello, you two. I need to talk to you, Cy." says Chief McIntyre.

"Why do you need to talk to me?" asks Cy.

"It's about my niece and your client." says Chief McIntyre.

"Ah, Miss Polly. How is my singing star doing today?" says Cy.

"She's working, like she should." says Chief McIntyre.

"You still haven't answered my first question." says Cy.

"Cy, I know you want Polly to sing, but she has a duty to the police department first." says Chief McIntyre.

"You dare stand against your niece's own singing career?" asks Cy.

"She has to work here first." says Chief McIntyre.

"What can I do, anyway?" asks Cy.

"You could keep Polly's gigs down a notch." says Chief McIntyre.

"I still need her to sing, not mop floors. How about I get someone to sub for Polly when her singing career overtakes her job, from time to time?" says Cy.

"Okay. Just remember, I want that person here tomorrow so I can release Polly from her work." says Chief McIntyre.

"Has Polly another gig?" asks Cy.

"She and her band want to rehearse all day again." says Chief McIntyre.

"Chief, what will you do if Polly becomes a star?" asks Cy.

"I honestly have no idea." says Chief McIntyre, who then walks away.

"I think I'll head up alone." says Conrad, who then makes his way without Cy or the dog.

"I guess it's just you and me, doggie." says Cy.

"Woof!" says the dog.

Cy and the dog then continue their way. They soon manage to make it to Cy's house. Upon entering, he finds Thomas sitting at the little writing desk next to the front door, staring at something.

"Hello, Thomas. What are you staring at?" says Cy.

"That." points Thomas.

Cy then moves his head and catches the sight of Mary, her eyes glazed over and her mouth giving off sounds of pleasure.

"Who is that, Thomas?" asks Cy.

"You won't believe her name, Cy." says Thomas.

"Please tell me." says Cy.

"Her name is Mary Hartman." says Thomas.

Cy almost repeats the name but stops himself short of doing so, ever so reminded of the title of his mother's greatest work. He then stares at her himself.

"Any idea as to her origin, besides Fernwood, Ohio?" asks Cy.

"No idea. She says she's a relative of mine." says Thomas.

"Might I ask what she is doing now?" asks Cy.

"Taking a trip, if you know what I mean." says Thomas.

"Acid trips are little mental vacations, my mother once told me." says Cy.

"She's looking at one now." says Thomas.

"And the name of the daytripper would send her into a laughing fit." says Cy.

"What are you gonna do with her?" asks Thomas.

"She's your relative." says Cy.

"What's with the mutt?" asks Thomas, noticing the dog.

"That's my new pet." says Cy.

"What's its name?" asks Thomas.

"I think I'll go with Liberty." says Cy.

"Nice name. It sounds so close to your mother's name." says Thomas.

"Liberty was the name of Gerald Ford's dog." says Cy.

"Don't the seventies ever end for you?" asks Thomas.

"They haven't for Mary." says Cy.

"Good point. You still answered me." says Thomas.

"Well, as soon as Mary returns from her trip, I think I'll ask her to stay some more." says Cy.

"I guess it would be nice to see what connection she has to me." says Thomas.

"She's the first family I've met of you in my life." says Cy.

"I can see that with my parents dead, she would be helpful in telling me things." says Thomas.

"Maybe she knew your parents. That would a great subject to question her on." says Cy.

"If you say so, Cy." says Thomas.

"You agree with that, Liberty?" asks Cy to the dog.

"Arf!" replies the dog.

"Say, I have an idea. Why don't we go out while Mary's still on her trip?" says Cy.

"That's a good idea." says Thomas, getting up from his seat.

"Liberty, guard our guest until she returns." says Cy.

"Arf!" says the dog.

"What shall we do during our time out?" asks Thomas.

"Why don't we get you a job at the police station?" says Cy as he walks out the door quickly.

Thomas quickly follows behind, curious as to Cy's statement.

"What job?" asks Thomas once he's outside, stopping Cy in his tracks.

"I had a brief conversation with Chief McIntyre on my way home." says Cy, getting back underway.

"What about?" asks Thomas as he follows behind.

"About Polly." says Cy.

"What about her?" asks Thomas.

"He told me he has trouble with my client and he wants her to work at her job." says Cy.

"So, where do I come in?" asks Thomas.

"I told him that I would get him a fill-in whenever her career took over her job at any time." says Cy.

"And you want me to be that fill-in?" says Thomas.

"You catch on quick, Thomas." says Cy.

"Why should I work for the police department?" asks Thomas.

"Thomas, aren't you bored with just being in my house most of the time?" asks Cy.

"I am, but I'm not sure I wanna work for the police." says Thomas.

"It'll be a fun experience and as Polly's career grows, with my help, your time at your job will increase until you take over the job completely." says Cy.

"You really think Polly has a chance at stardom?" asks Thomas.

"A casting director took a chance on a 17-year-old nothing from Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania in 1971 and it paid off wonderfully for her." says Cy.

"That casting director had little to do with your mother's career." says Thomas.

"That same casting director later went to work for Norman Lear." says Cy.

"You always have an answer, do you?" asks Thomas.

"That's my lot in life." says Cy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Tomorrow, the position of assistant janitor at the Hyperion Police Station gets filled, with help from Cy and a little help from good ole' Lady Luck.
 
Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.
 
A production of WGN Chicago.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment