Thursday, July 1, 2010

Episode 19

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "The Streets of This Town", Part 7

Yesterday, Phil again hosted in Conrad's place due to Conrad's continued illiness. Meanwhile, Thomas, back on the street, decided to return to his old home. Once there, however, he was confronted by the ghost of his late father and ran away, into a pair of cops, who took him in. As we begin, it's another Thursday morning...

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next day, Conrad makes his way into the green room.
"Happy Thursday, Conrad." says Cy as Conrad enters.
"Right back at ya." says Conrad.
"You're in a happy mood today." says Cy.
"I'm finally well enough to work." says Conrad.
"That's good, because I think I'm catching your cold." says Cy.
"You can work through it." says Conrad.
"I know a few ways of getting through a cold." says Cy.
"I hope you share some of that." says Conrad.
"A couple pints it is." says Cy.
Just then, Officer Grace enters the green room.
"Good morning, guys." says Officer Grace.
"Good morning, Officer Grace, or should I say just Grace?" says Cy.
"Whatever you prefer." says Officer Grace.
"What brings you around here?" asks Conrad.
"I'm looking for Phil. I need to talk to him." says Officer Grace.
"He should be here by now." says Cy.
"Here I am." says Phil as he enters the green room.
"Phil, Grace here would like a string of words with you." says Cy.
"Just Grace now?" says Phil.
"Well, with she being your girlfriend now, I feel she's becoming a friend to me." says Cy.
"Go inside." says Phil.
"Yes, my faithful intern." says Cy as he heads inside the radio station.
"What is it now?" asks Phil.
"We picked up a vagabond last night, name of Thomas Cinder. Says that he knows you." says Officer Grace.
"Thomas Cinder? He's my old bully." says Phil.
"So you do know him?" queries Officer Grace.
"Yes, I know him, but not as a friend." says Phil.
"He says that he feels he's your friend." says Officer Grace.
"His mind has been strained by prison. He talked to me the other day about it and I didn't believe him." says Phil.
"Well, he's in our jail right now and we're keeping him until someone posts his bail." says Officer Grace.
"That won't help him. His family's all but gone. His father died in a accident 5
years ago and his mother died giving birth to him." says Phil.
"Any siblings?" asks Officer Grace.
"None, his father tried to hook up with my mother a few times but his personality left a lot to be desired." says Phil.
"Any more infomation?" asks Officer Grace.
"No." says Phil.
"Fine. I'll just leave now." says Officer Grace.
She gives him a hug and a kiss and departs.
"Grace is getting attached to you." says Cy, coming out of the station.
"Were you listening?" asks Phil.
"I had to. It looked interesting." says Cy.
"Well, I guess you heard about Thomas?" asks Phil.
"She asked me before you and I had nothing on him." says Cy.
"It's a shame." says Phil.
"I think I'll pay his bail, but not until next week. He could use a place to sleep." says Cy.
"He's homeless?" says Phil.
"He's got his old house but he doesn't wanna go back." says Cy.
"I wonder why?" asks Phil.
In the police station, on the jail cot, lays Thomas, still hearing and seeing what happened last night. His guitar case is under the bunk. As he twists and turns on his cot, Polly enters the room, rolling along with her the mop bucket.
Polly grabs the mop from the bucket and begins to wash the floor. Thomas is awakened by the rolling bucket. He looks over to where the noise is coming from and sees Polly mopping away.
"Who the hell are you?" asks Thomas.
"I'm the janitor here." says Polly.
"You don't look like no janitor I've ever seen." says Thomas.
"Well, make no mistake, I'm the janitor around here." says Polly.
"I'm the prisoner today." says Thomas.
"That I see." says Polly.
"There's no one in here to talk to." says Thomas.
"So you think you can gain a conversation out of me?" asks Polly.
"I hope so, ma'am." says Thomas.
"Maybe a little one. Just don't ask me how to escape." says Polly.
"Escape is the last thing I want to do." says Thomas.
"Why not? That's usually want anyone wants." says Polly.
"I have no place to go." says Thomas.
"Don't you have a home?" asks Polly.
"I have a house, not a home." says Thomas.
"Why isn't a home?" asks Polly.
"Because there's no one there, except the ghosts of my childhood." says Thomas.
"You sound different than most prisoners." says Polly.
"That's because I've been there and I don't wish to go back." says Thomas.
"That's where you are right now." says Polly.
"I mean prison, not jail. There's a difference." says Thomas.
"Not to me." says Polly.
"If you were in my place, you wouldn't say that." says Thomas.
"You do have a quality I haven't seen in a prisoner before." says Polly.
"Yeah, childhood guilt." says Thomas.
"Your life must have been terrible." says Polly.
"Don't get me started, ma'am. By the name, what's your name?" says Thomas.
"Polly, Polly McInytre." says Polly.
"Any relation to that police chief?" asks Thomas.
"My uncle." says Polly.
"Great, I told my story to the police chief's niece." says Thomas.
"Don't worry. I'm a softie, in this case." says Polly.
"Thanks, Polly." says Thomas.
"You're welcome... " says Polly.
"Thomas, Thomas Cinder." says Thomas.
Polly then returns to her mopping and Thomas lays back down on the bunk of his cell, still thinking of the events of last night.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Tomorrow, Phil receives some advice on his upcoming date from Cy, who offers some of his own help in the ways of romance.

Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.

Produced at WGN Chicago. All rights reserved.
This is the Mutual Broadcasting System.
"The feeling's always Mutual"

No comments:

Post a Comment