Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Episode 18

The Mutual Boardcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "The Streets of This Town", Part 6

Yesterday, after Cy's hosting assignment concluded, Phil received an offer from Officer Grace for a date, which Phil happily accepted. He then received an offer from his old bully Thomas Cinder to spend a night at Phil's house, which Phil allowed, but only for one night. As we begin, Phil has just sent Thomas back onto the streets...

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cy makes his way into the green room as he dances his way in. As he enters the green room, Phil is pouring a cup of coffee.
"Happy hump day, Cy." says Phil.
"Right back at'cha." says Cy, sitting himself down in a chair.
"What's with you today?" asks Phil, taking a sip of his coffee.
"I had the best night so far with my new girl Joanne last night." says Cy.
"You two finally do it?" asks Phil.
"Of course not. I gave her a serenade. Actually, we both did." says Cy.
"You are a hopeless romantic." says Phil.
"That I am." says Cy.
"Why haven't you done it yet?" asks Phil.
"Because I haven't earned it yet." says Cy.
"Earn it? How do you earn doing it?" asks Phil.
"My mother told me that you should wait in a new relationship until you have
earned the right to make love with your girl." says Cy.
"How does that help?" asks Phil.
"If you do it just to do it, it loses all the flavor. If you wait until it becomes part of
the natural process of a relationship, then it has been earned and the two lovers are
forever together." says Cy.
"Then why haven't you married yet?" asks Phil.
"Because waiting also helps to make sure you love someone. Most of the time, by
the time you make love, it's just a formality." says Cy.
"What a genius your mother was." says Phil.
Just then, the phone rings. Cy rushes over and picks up the receiver.
"Johnny.... I mean, Cy Scott." says Cy.
"Cy, you have a phone call from Conrad." says Loni.
"Just patch me through and forget the charges." says Cy.
"Okay." says Loni as she patches in the call.
"Cy?" says Conrad on the other end.
"Conrad, don't tell me you're still sick?" asks Cy.
"This cold refuses to go away. I'm making progress." says Conrad.
"Wise precaution." says Cy.
"I guess I can make it to work." says Conrad.
Cy looks over at the clock in the green room, which reads 8:09 am.
"No, you stay home for the day." says Cy.
"Thanks." says Conrad.
Cy then hangs up the phone.
"Sick again?" asks Phil.
"I can't help it if his body is a little off today." says Cy.
"I guess I'm on hosting duty again." says Phil.
"The following show you're about to do is the same as yesterday. Only the words
have been changed to protect the listener from losing it." says Cy.
"With that kind of help, I know I can ace today." says Phil.
The night brings a chill to the air, which is normal for the late summer. In one part of town walks Thomas Cinder. Thomas walks alone, still carrying the guitar case, looking at his old house, now an empty shell.
As he stares, he thinks about how his life was and the way it is now. He also feels
something's wrong, like the house isn't empty. He feels people inside, even if the windows are dark and there's no sign of life, he feels it.
He just checks it to his mind and decides to go up to the house. As he walks, he
wonders what is inside. He finally reaches the door and opens it. Inside, it's devoid of anything, just the way it was left when Thomas went off to prison.
Thomas decides to sleep on the floor, hoping his memories will keep him warm. He puts down his guitar case and lays down next to the door and lulls himself to sleep,
with his dreams of his childhood keeping him company.
His dream is anything but happy. In the dark, he sees the outline of his father,
beer can in hand, looking at him. He opens his eyes and sees the sight.
"Hello, son." growls Mr. Cinder in a southern accent.
"Hello, dad." says Thomas.
"I see you're back." says Mr. Cinder as he takes a sip of beer.
"I know. I just got out of prison." says Thomas.
"So I hear." says Mr. Cinder.
"I blame myself for going there." says Thomas.
"It's all your fault, son." says Mr. Cinder as he takes another sip of beer.
"No, it's not. It's your fault." says Thomas.
"Watch it, son." says Mr. Cinder.
"I mean it, the way you raised me... " says Thomas.
"I told you to watch it." says Mr. Cinder, stepping closer to Thomas.
"I can't believe how you raised me." says Thomas as he gets off the floor.
"Keep your mouth shut, boy." says Mr. Cinder.
"When you died, I didn't shed a single tear." says Thomas.
"That's it, boy. You're gonna get it now." says Mr. Cinder, making a move
towards Thomas.
Thomas then moves out of his dream, grabs the guitar case, starts running, and
bursts through the door and runs from the house, scared that his father will follow him.
He runs down the street and into a collection of trash cans. His collision alerts a cop car,
which comes by the cans.
"Guys, my dead father trying to kill me." he spews out.
"A hobo?" says the driving officer.
"Most likely." says the passenger officer.
Together, the two drag Thomas into their car and drive away, with Thomas
shouting, "I hate you, dad!" over and over.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Tomorrow, Conrad returns from his bout with illiness and Thomas, locked in the city jail, makes a very unlikely friend.

Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.

Produced at WGN Chicago. All rights reserved.
This is the Mutual Broadcasting System.
"The feeling's always Mutual"

No comments:

Post a Comment