Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Episode 12

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode, "The Beginnings of a Legacy", Part 12

Yesterday, we began our third week with Conrad receiving an accusation from Barry that he stole the machine, an idea quickly shot down. The two then went over the evidence and discovered the answer of the machine's whereabouts. When we last left off, Cy and Conrad were about to relay their discovery to Mr. Gold...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Cy then again pockets the keys and walks back into the building with Conrad.
They walk their way to Mr. Gold's office and knock on the door.
"Come in." says Mr. Gold.
"Hello, sir." says Cy as he and Conrad enter.
"What is it now, detectives?" asks Mr. Gold.
"Mr. Gold, we think we know where your machine is." says Cy.
"Where is it, detectives?" asks Mr. Gold.
"Follow me in this line of reasoning with me and Conrad." says Cy.
"Okay, Scott. I'll give you your chance." says Mr. Gold.
"As we know, we think the machine was stolen." says Cy.
"We all know that." says Conrad.
"But we think it wasn't stolen." says Cy.
"It wasn't?" asks Mr. Gold.
"Right. A few minutes ago, I happened to put the keys I found into the lock in the
front door of the building and it fit." says Cy.
"I see it, but what's that gotta do with the pinball machine?" says Mr. Gold.
"The answer to the case of the missing pinball machine is that it wasn't missing to
begin with." says Cy.
"It wasn't?" says Mr. Gold.
"You see, we all just assumed it was stolen from the fact that it's not in the green
room. We questioned everyone we could ask and found no reason to steal the machine."
says Conrad.
"Well, the thief was from the outside." says Mr. Gold.
"That's another assumed fact. When we visited the Shulmans, the head of the
family mentioned giving the two guys he hired a set of keys. As we were leaving their
house today, I found a set of keys in the driveway." says Cy.
"What does that prove?" asks Mr. Gold.
"Our theory is that when one of the two men were getting in the truck at the
Shulmans', the keys must have slipped out of his pocket. When they got here, they
couldn't find the keys, so they left their truck here and reported a successful delivery
rather than face facts." says Cy.
"So, what you're saying is... " says Mr. Gold.
"The pinball machine is still in the truck." says Cy.
"I'll phone the delivery company and see." says Mr. Gold, who then runs back into
the station.
"Amazing, Cy." says Conrad.
"It was a close one, wasn't it, Conrad?" says Cy.
"I see." says Conrad.
"I did it, Conrad, I did it." says Cy.
"And you finally got over boredom." says Conrad.
"And I think I made a new girlfriend" says Cy.
"You did." says Conrad.
Just then, Mr. Gold walks out of the station.
"The two delivery guys fessed up to what happened. The pinball machine in their
truck, all right." says Mr. Gold.
"All in a day's work." says Cy.
"Right, detectives. I'll call Mr. Shulman and tell him." says Mr. Gold, who then
runs back into the building.
"Conrad, I do believe that we have proven ourselves as experts of mystery-
solving." says Cy.
"Right, Cy." says Conrad.
An hour later, the two delivery men finally complete their job and place the new
pinball machine in the green room. As they do, Joanne walks up to Cy.
"So, you solved it today, detectives?" says Joanne.
"I fessed up to your father about our true identities. He's proud of our work." says
Cy.
"Good of you to do that, Cy." says Joanne.
"Well, are you still up for that date tonight?" asks Cy.
"Let me think... yes." says Joanne.
"Good to know, good to know." says Cy.
That evening, Cy walks his way back up the Shulmans' driveway as he readies to
take Joanne on their date. As he walks up, he whistles a happy tune.
He soon reaches the front door and rings the doorbell. The chimes that rings out
further cement the wealth of the Shulmans. After a moment, one of the large oak door
swing open.
"Good evening, Cy." says Joanne, dressed in a red gingham knee-skirt dress.
"Good evening, Joanne. I've come to take you out on that date." says Cy.
"I'm ready for you. Why don't you come inside?" asks Joanne.
"I guess I can." says Cy, who then steps inside.
"I wanted the folks to really met you before we go out." says Joanne.
"That would help in our relationship, but I've had the honor of meeting your father
and grandfather, and I can't think of two more interesting people." says Cy.
"That's only a small sample of my family." says Joanne as she guides Cy into the
living room.
Sitting in various chairs are the members of Joanne's family. Joe I and Joe II are
sitted a fair distance from each other. A woman bolt out of her chair as she runs over to
meet Joanne and Cy.
"It's so wonderful to meet the man that's finally dating my Joanne." says Mrs.
Shulman, looking the Fran Drescher type, down to the hair, voice, and matter of dress.
"Yes, ma'am." says Cy.
"Please, call me Loretta. This ain't no formal gig." says Mrs. Shulman.
"Okay... Loretta." says Cy.
"Please, sit down." says Loretta.
"I guess I should before I take Joanne out." says Cy, who then takes a seat next to
Joanne on a sofa.
"Joanne's finally dating, and at only 23." says Loretta.
"It's not that big of a deal." says Joanne.
"It is to me." says Loretta.
"I'm just amazed at how fast it went. The two only met today." says Joe II.
"In this day and age, that's a long time." says Joe I.
"Don't start, dad." says Joe II.
"Yeah, granddad, don't start." says Joe III.
"I just can't believe that my granddaughter is dating someone like you." says Joe I.
"You mean, a radio show host or a Gentile?" asks Cy.
"The latter. I always thought Joanne would go for a nice boy of our people. Instead, she went with you." says Joe I.
"I think myself a great catch." says Cy.
"That's not the point, son." says Joe I.
"You seem to be impressed with me earlier." says Cy.
"That's when you were a so-called detective. Now, you think you're my granddaughter's boyfriend." says Joe I.
"I'm this close to leaving." says Cy.
"Then leave. We're not keeping you here." says Joe I.
"Ease off my boyfriend, grandpa." says Joanne.
"Oh, Joanne, I just can't get off the subject." says Joe I.
"Allow me to change the subject myself." says Cy.
"Don't, Cy." says Joanne.
"I, for one, have an open mind about this." says Loretta.
"Me, too." says Joe II.
"You two keep outta this. This is between me and the boy here." says Joe I.
"Grandpa, just accept him." says Joanne.
"He'll have to prove himself to me." says Joe I.
"How?" asks Cy.
"Convert." says Joe I.
"I can't. I love pork too much." says Cy.
"Come on, Cy, let us leave." says Joanne.
"I'm with you. I've had enough." says Cy as he and Joanne get off the sofa and walk out of the room.
"You must be accept him as Joanne's suitor, dad." says Joe II.
"Just another arguement to me." says Loretta.
"I can't believe I let him get to me. I'm just like my mother in that respect, or lack of." says Cy as he and Joanne walk down the driveway.
"She sounds like an interesting person." says Joanne.
"She is. She was an actress on television and in film." says Cy.
"And who was your mother, Cy?" asks Joanne.
"The late Debralee Scott." says Cy.
"Sorry to hear that." says Joanne.
"That's okay. I'm over it." says Cy.
"I'm glad." says Joanne.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Tomorrow, we begin our second serial with Cy bringing Joanne home and the arrival of another Tuesday morning in Hyperion.

Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.

Produced at WGN Chicago. All rights reserved.
This is the Mutual Broadcasting System.
"The feeling's always Mutual"

No comments:

Post a Comment