Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Episode 13

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "The Streets of This Town", Part 1

Yesterday, we ended our first serial with Cy and Conrad solving the mystery of the missing pinball machine. That night, Cy went back to the Shulman house to take Joanne out on a date and butted heads with Joanne's grandfather. When we last left off, Cy and Joanne went out and now, they return...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cy has just finished his first date with Joanne. The time is about 1:00 am
and Cy is walking Joanne up the driveway to the house. As they finally reach the front door, Joanne opens the door and Cy stands outside.
"I've had a wonderful time, Joanne." says Cy to Joanne, standing inside her house,
ready to close the door.
"Then why don't come in? Extend the date." says Joanne.
"I prefer to wait for awhile, at least until I know if she's ready for me." says Cy.
"Will I know?" asks Joanne.
"My mother taught me to look into a date before checking into their bed." says Cy.
"Smart woman." says Joanne.
"And you're as smart as she." says Cy.
"Good night, Cy." says Joanne as she closed the door.
"What a girl. If you could only met her, Mama." says Cy as he walks away from
the house.
As Cy strolls his way back home, he whistles an old tune very well. The
nighttime streets are quiet. Cy breathes in the night air as he makes his way to a
crosswalk.
He then makes his way into the neighborhood where he lives and takes it the nighttime sounds as they float into his ears. The night air fills Cy's lungs and the smells fill his nose.
He soon reaches his darkened home and walks inside. He sees the dark living room and the gleam coming off his mother's urn sitting on the mantle. He walks his way up to it and stares at it.
"I've just had the time of my life, Mama. Wish you coulda been there." says Cy.
Cy then walks to the couch. He sits down on it and decides to watch a little television before sleeping. Cy turns on the television and watches it for a long time. Eventually, the sun rises as Cy continues to watch television.
Cy notices the time, 6:00 am, on the clock on the wall and decides to head into work. With a close of the door, Cy walks his way from the house to the radio station. Cy's walk is mixed with the sleepiness he feels in his head. However, the feeling fades as the fresh air enters his body. The walk brings back feelings for Cy.
As he walks, he runs into Polly McIntyre, one of his and Conrad's many friends. Her appearence is of a 22-year-old girl, with blackish-brown hair, piled on her head and wearing a mini-skirted dress with a scarf around the middle, with another one around her neck. She also has a gleam in her eyes.
"Good morning, Polly." says Cy as he pulls alongside her.
"Hello, Cy. I've never seen you out this early before." says Polly.
"I'm not usual this awake during this time." says Cy.
"So, why are you?" asks Polly.
"I had an interesting night, last night." says Cy.
"Really? Can you tell me about it?" asks Polly.
"I don't think I can now. I need all my mental strength to get to work." says Cy.
"I'll ask about it later." says Polly.
"Hear that morning music in the air." says Cy.
"What music?" asks Polly.
"The sounds of the birds as they tweet their wake-up calls. The wind blowing
across the street. I tell ya, it reminds me of all those mornings in New York. The song's
different but the melody's the same." says Cy.
"A guy like you never belonged in the city." says Polly.
"I made the most of it, Polly. My mother often wished to escape the city." says
Cy.
"You did it for her." says Polly.
"Thank you, Polly." says Cy as they arrive in front of the police station.
"Here's where I get off." says Polly.
"See you later, Polly." says Cy, continuing by Polly on his way to work.
"What a guy Cy is." says Polly, who then walks up to the front of the police
station and goes inside.
"Good morning, Polly." says Officer Grace as Polly enters.
"Good morning, Officer Grace." says Polly.
"Good morning, my niece." says Chief McIntyre.
"Another day of work?" asks Officer Grace.
"What other kind of work is there?" says Polly as she puts down her guitar case and takes hold of her mop and bucket.
"I guess you're right. I saw you talking to Cy as you walked up." says Officer
Grace.
"Can you believe that he once lived in New York City?" asks Polly.
"I never do." says Officer Grace.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Tomorrow, we meet a new character, continue with Cy as he reaches the radio station, who then receives an assignment from Mr. Gold.

Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.

Produced at WGN Chicago. All rights reserved.
This is the Mutual Broadcasting System.
"The feeling's always Mutual"

No comments:

Post a Comment