Friday, June 11, 2010

Episode 5

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "The Beginnings of a Legacy", Part 5

Yesterday, Cy made his way to Cathy's Tavern, where he aired further opinions of his life. Then, a strange woman named Joanne entered the place and she and Cy hit it off. Time soon passes by the couple...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two hours later, as the jukebox plays "Wichita Lineman", Joanne and Cy share a dance in the dimmed lights of the tavern.
"You dance so well." says Joanne.
"And this is without a single lesson." says Cy.
"I know." says Joanne.
"My mother taught me everything I know." says Cy.
"There she is again." says Joanne.
"My mother? How long have I gone now?" asks Cy.
"About five minutes." says Joanne.
"That's a record for me in times like this." says Cy.
"Careful to cover yourself, aren't you?" asks Joanne.
"That's what my mother told me." says Cy.
"You know, things would be much easier if you didn't mention her a lot." says Joanne.
"I don't mention her that much." says Cy.
"I've counted 14 times in the last half-hour." says Joanne.
"Quick on your wits, I see. You must be of a higher raising. Certainly can't get those brains from the local high school with the rest of these people." says Cy.
"I can't fool you for a minute." says Joanne.
"You know where that comes from." says Cy.
"Don't you have anything of your own?" asks Joanne.
"What do you mean?" asks Cy.
"I mean, something that all yours, that your mother never helped you in?" asks Joanne.
"I can't think of a thing, except my job." says Cy.
"Jobs, even full-time ones, are just temporary. What I mean is something that you can pass on." says Joanne.
"I've often thought about that but I've always felt my mother's legacy is enough for my offspring." says Cy.
"Well, maybe they would like something of yours to inherit, so not everything that get is secondhand." says Joanne.
"I would be nice to steak my own claim to fame, as it were." says Cy.
"There's the idea. Your own legacy." says Joanne.
"It's nice to dance with you. You make me think. Most girls I've known don't do that." says Cy.
"Maybe when our kids ask about how we met, we can tell them that you and I met and it was love at first dance." says Joanne.
"What a wit you have about you." says Cy.
"I'd like to think of it as my legacy." says Joanne.
"Why? Don't you have one?" asks Cy.
"Not really. Like you, I have feel that what I've inherit I will pass on to my offspring." says Joanne.
"Maybe the two of us can find our own legacies together." says Cy.
"That would be nice to do." says Joanne.
"Just the two of us." says Cy.
1:30 am soon rolls around and as the tavern closes down for the night, Cy and Joanne stand outside it, looking up at the stars.
"Look at those stars, Cy." says Joanne.
"They sure are bright up there. I wish I could give one to you as a present." says Cy.
"You're a romantic, I'm finding." says Joanne.
"I need more than that for a legacy." says Cy.
"You'll find it." says Joanne as she starts to walk away.
"Will I ever see you again?" asks Cy.
"We'll see about that." says Joanne as she continues to walk away into the night.
Some time later, Cy walks his way into his home. As he closes the door, he stares into the darkness. He then moves into the living room as he looks around for his usual place to sleep, the easy chair.
In the darkness, he spies an object on the mantle. He walks up to it and stares at it, its metal-like skin shining in the moonlight. He stares at it for a few minutes.
"Mama, I've met someone." says Cy.
The weekend soon passes and Monday morning and a new week soon arrive. Outside the WHYP building, Cy and Conrad meet up and Cy is doing a little dance in his step as he walks up.
"What is with you this morning?" asks Conrad.
"Oh, Conrad, my mind has been stoked." says Cy.
"By what or who?" asks Conrad.
"By this girl I met at the tavern on Friday." says Cy.
"Tell me more." says Conrad as he and Cy enter the building.
"Conrad, I walked into that tavern with a chip on my shoulder and she came in with those blue jeans on her legs and she brushed off the chip." says Cy as he and Conrad enter the hallway.
"Anything else?" asks Conrad.
"Well, we spent the whole night talking about how I need my own legacy, to pass down to my offspring." says Cy.
"What makes you think you're gonna have offspring?" asks Conrad.
"I'll ignore that." says Cy.
"I'm glad that you have a crush on someone." says Conrad.
"It's more than a crush. I feel it's love." says Cy.
"Love? Calm down, Cy. You don't know a thing about this girl, it seems." says Conrad.
"I know. My very own mystery woman. I figure that's the first part of my legacy, a strange woman that helped me when I needed it and disappeared into the night, never to be seen again." says Cy.
"As long as it's yours." says Conrad.
"Well, behind this door is a 1973 Goldman & Todd deluxe pinball machine." says Cy.
"I can't wait to get my fingers on those flippers." says Conrad.
"I know you can't." says Cy as he opens the door.
Cy looks in and sees something very wrong.
"Conrad, come here and see what I see." says Cy.
Conrad steps inside the green room and sees Mr. Gold, standing next to an empty space where the old pinball machine was.
"Cy, where's the pinball machine?" asks Conrad.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Next week, Cy and Conrad, confronted with a missing pinball machine, make a decision. This decision will end up affecting Cy's life in more ways than he possibly can imagine.

Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.

Produced at WGN Chicago. All rights reserved.
This is the Mutual Broadcasting System.

No comments:

Post a Comment