Monday, June 14, 2010

Episode 6

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "The Beginnings of a Legacy", Part 6

Last week, we began our series with a visit to WHYP radio and its employees, mainly Cy Scott and Conrad Harris. After going on the air, Cy discussed how he couldn't get out of boredom. Then, we met Mr. Gold, who told the duo that someone has donated a pinball machine. Mr. Gold also gave the ratings and Cy gave his opinion of them.
Cy then made his way to Cathy's Tavern, where he met a mysterious woman named Joanne, who told Cy that he should make his own legacy, as a means of getting out of boredom. The weekend soon passes and Cy and Conrad arrive back at WHYP and the green room, where they find the new machine gone...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Cy and Conrad stare at the empty space, as well as Mr. Gold.
"Where is it?" asks Mr. Gold.
"Mr. Gold?" says Cy.
"Oh, you two, as you can see, something's happened to our 1973 Goldman & Todd deluxe pinball machine." says Mr. Gold.
"That I can see." says Cy.
Just then, Phil enters the room.
"Hey, guys, still taking in the new machine?" asks Phil.
"Phil, it's not here." says Cy, gesturing to the empty space.
"I see it now. I guess Conrad's not getting a turn." says Phil.
"I guess not." says Cy.
"I wonder where it went." says Mr. Gold.
"Well, I guess me and Conrad should get ready for our show today." says Cy, walking towards a chair.
"I guess we should." says Conrad, following behind.
As Cy and Conrad take their seats, Mr. Gold still remains standing as he wonders
at the whereabouts of the new pinball machine.
"I guess I should go check on Barry and Terry for you guys." says Phil to Cy and Conrad.
"Thanks." says Cy.
"You're welcome." says Phil as he makes his way out of the green room.
Mr. Gold slowly moves away from the empty space as he walks towards the door.
"I'm gonna report this to the police." says Mr. Gold, who then makes his leave
from the green room.
"I wonder where that machine is." says Cy.
"Don't worry, they'll find it." says Conrad.
"I hope so." says Cy.
"I wonder who would want to steal a pinball machine?" says Phil.
"There's a question. The theft of a machine that one wouldn't normally steal."
says Cy.
"That is an interesting question, but what's the answer?" asks Conrad.
"My mother liked to say that when something goes missing, you should go look for it." says Cy.
"But who wants to find a pinball machine?" asks Conrad.
Cy thinks for a few seconds as Conrad's eyes and Phil's eyes focus on him. He then has a thought.
"I know someone who can." says Cy.
"Who do you know that can solve this?" asks Conrad.
"Us, we're gonna solve it." says Cy.
"I know you're trying to find your own legacy but we can't solve a mystery." says Conrad.
"Why not? I'll be fun and it'll get us out of being bored at last." says Cy.
"I guess it wouldn't hurt to solve a mystery." says Conrad.
"There we go. Now, the first thing we do is talk to the victim of this crime." says Cy.
"I'm standing right here, Cy." says Conrad.
"Not you, my partner. I'm talking about Mr. Gold." says Cy.
. Two hours later, Cy and Conrad are walking down the hallway to Mr. Gold's
office. Cy is smoking a cigar as he knocks on the office door.
"Come in." says Mr. Gold, writing down something.
Cy then opens the door and he and Conrad walk into the room. Cy's face is
shadowed by his hat, pulled down over his forehead.
"What do you want, Scott and Harris?" asks Mr. Gold.
"We were to solve a mystery." says Cy.
"What mystery?" asks Mr. Gold.
"The mystery of your missing pinball machine." says Cy.
"Really?" says Mr. Gold.
"Don't underestimate me, my friend. I assure you that we are good at what we do." says Cy.
"What do you want, you two?" asks Mr. Gold.
"We know that a pinball machine was stolen from this radio station." says Cy.
"That's right." says Mr. Gold.
"We know that it was a 1973 Goldman & Todd deluxe pinball machine." says Cy.
"That's right." says Mr. Gold.
"And as you said before, those kinds of machines are rare." says Cy.
"That's what I said." says Mr. Gold.
"Listen, Mr. Gold. I will locate your missing machine for a small fee. Let's say, uh, $100?" says Cy.
"$100? To find the machine?" says Mr. Gold.
"You don't have to pay me when I find it. Just keep in mind that if you don't pay, you'll get yours." says Cy.
"We'll do it for free." says Conrad.
"Deal." says Mr. Gold.
"Why did you do that for?" asks Cy.
"Remember, Mr. Gold is the man with our jobs in his hands and it wouldn't be
helpful if we ask to be paid when our pay is at stake." says Conrad.
Just then, the door to the office opens and Officer Grace Baker, one of Hyperion's
finest, walks in. Her blue police uniform is off-set by her long curly brown locks with the
police officer's cap on her head and the black police coat.
"Hello, Mr. Gold." says Officer Grace as she sees Cy and Conrad..
"Officer Grace, I'm sure you're familiar with Scott and his friend Harris." says Mr. Gold, gesturing at Cy and Conrad.
"Yes, I am." says Officer Grace.
"Don't mind them, they're here to help me. Say they wanna solve this mystery." says Mr. Gold.
"Then I might as well get this report filled out." says Officer Grace.
"Gladly." says Mr. Gold.
"Now, tell me how you got this pinball machine?" says Officer Grace.
Mr. Gold explains, "I made this deal with Joe Shulman, the owner of Shulman Coffee, for ad space on the air, in exchange for a new pinball machine for the green room. His father had bought the machine and he was giving it to me, saying it had no purpose. It was to be delivered overnight but it hasn't come in yet."
"I see, and has anyone else known about this new machine?" asks Officer Grace.
"I told that Scott character and his buddies about it. That Conrad, he's a former champion at pinball, so I hear." says Mr. Gold.
"Anything else?" asks Officer Grace.
"Not really." says Mr. Gold.
"If you don't mind, we'd like to take over the questioning for now. We'll let you know of my findings." says Cy.
"Okay, detectives." says Officer Grace as she leaves the room.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Tomorrow, our crime solvers begin their case, and a romance blooms ahead for two lucky people, if they only knew their luck.

Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.

Produced at WGN Chicago. All rights reserved.
This is the Mutual Broadcasting System.

No comments:

Post a Comment