Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Episode 7

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "The Beginnings of a Legacy", Part 7

Yesterday, Cy and Conrad discovered that the new pinball machine for the green room was missing, so Cy decides to go looking for it, thinking that finding it will help to begin his legacy. With Conrad in tow, the duo see Mr. Gold to get the job. Meanwhile, we meet another character, Officer Grace Baker of the Hyperion Police. When we left off, Officer Grace had just left Mr. Gold's office...

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Officer Grace then walks her way from Mr. Gold's office to the green room. As she opens the door, she spots Phil, staring at the empty space where the pinball machine should be.
"Hello, Phil." says Officer Grace, entering the room.
"Oh, hello, Officer Grace." speaks Phil in a nervous matter.
"I see that the pinball machine is truly missing." says Officer Grace.
"It should be, or you wouldn't be here." says Phil.
"So, how's the job going?" asks Officer Grace.
"Going well, going very well." says Phil.
"Mine's been the usual, the same." says Officer Grace.
"That's good to know." says Phil.
"So, hmm, I'm here to ask you about the pinball machine." says Officer Grace.
"Well, it's gone." says Phil.
"That I can see. Anything else?" says Officer Grace.
"Not really, I don't have much to add." says Phil.
"Well, can you think of anything?" asks Officer Grace.
"Not really." says Phil.
"Well, I see you two are hard at work." says Cy as he and Conrad enter the room.
"So, how did things go with Mr. Gold?" asks Phil.
"Great, he felt we should have no part in it, so we got the case anyway. All we
have to do now is solve it." says Cy.
"Fine, you two. I guess I have to refer to you as detectives." says Phil, beginning
to fall into his place with Cy and Conrad's act.
"Phil, why must you play along?" asks Officer Grace.
"I wanna help in this, Officer Grace." says Phil.
"Whatever you say." says Officer Grace.
"Here's where the pinball machine is supposed to be." says Phil, pointing to the
empty spot.
"I see." says Cy, walking over to the spot.
Cy then lowers himself into a pitcher's position and examines the area. Cy spots
the four dents in the carpet where the old pinball machine once stood. He moves his hand
slowly over one of the dents. He then gets back up and turns his attention to Conrad,
Officer Grace, and Phil..
"Say, how long ago was the old machine here?" asks Cy.
"I last saw it Saturday, Cy, as you very well know." says Phil.
"What about you, Officer Grace?" asks Cy.
"I haven't seen the machine for a long while. I don't know what to tell you." says
Officer Grace.
"That's okay. I feel I have enough for the both of you." says Cy.
Officer Grace looks over at Phil as she admires Cy's commitment to solve the
mystery.
"Cy, what findings have you made so far?" asks Officer Grace.
"Good question. I looked at the area and see the four dents left by the old
machine. When I moved my hand over one, I felt no sign that the machine was here
before it was stolen." says Cy.
"Maybe you should ask Mr. Gold about the new machine?" says Phil.
"Perhaps I should, but not now. I think I'll go see two morons about a machine." says Cy as he turns to leave, with Conrad following behind.
"I wonder where they're going?" asks Phil to Officer Grace.
"I think he's gonna surprise their rivals in their native habitat." says Officer Grace.
Cy closes the door behind him and walks down the hallway and turns a corner into another hallway, leading to a door with the lettering, "Barry & Terry", written on it. Cy gives the door a knock and hears Barry invite him in.
"Hello, Cy and Conrad." says Terry.
"Don't mock us now. We're detectives on a case." says Cy as he closes the door.
"Pardon me, detectives." says Terry.
"Detectives, what brings you and your associate around here?" asks Barry.
"I came here to talk about that missing pinball machine, you two." says Cy.
"I don't know anything that machine." says Terry.
"All I know is that one of the sponsors donated it in exchange for air time on our
program." says Barry.
"I think Mr. Gold wants to title the programs after the sponsors, the way he
talks." says Terry.
"So, a commercial on your program that would have subtracted time from you
guys." says Cy.
"Ease up, you two, we have no reason to steal it." says Barry.
"We're better stealing audience." says Terry.
"Cy, I wouldn't question them further." says Conrad.
"Why not?" asks Cy.
"Because it might hurt us come sweeps week." says Conrad.
"Gentlemen, I leave you to your wallow." says Cy.
Cy then turns back and heads back out the door without saying another word with
Conrad following behind.
"That Cy. He keeps it up, he may end up paying for it." says Barry.
In the radio studio itself, the WHYP Radio Lunch Wagon is wrapping up its broadcast day. Inside the studio is a man dressed in a dress shirt and pants, with a thinning scalp.
"And so, this is Chris Hardin, saying onto you, see ya next time here at the WHYP Radio Lunch Wagon." says the host.
And with that, the engineer in the control room plays the closing theme and Chris exits the studio and meets Cy and Conrad as he leaves.
"Hello there, Chris." says Cy.
"Hello, Cy. Hello, Conrad." says Chris.
"We're here to talk to you." says Cy.
"What for?" asks Chris.
"We're detectives, trying to solve this mystery." says Cy.
"Okay, detectives." says Chris, feeling it best to go along with Cy.
"We're investigating the missing pinball machine and I wanna know if you have any hints for us." says Conrad.
"I wish I did. I did see them take out the old machine on Sunday night." says Chris.
"Can you tell me more?" asks Cy.
"I came here to help with the WHYP Sunday Night Service and I saw two men take out the old machine." says Chris.
"Any more info you can share?" asks Conrad.
"No, sorry. I wish I did." says Chris.
"All right. I may see you later, so don't leave town." says Cy, who then turns and leave, along with Conrad.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Tomorrow, Cy and Conrad continue their search for clues and the missing pinball machine, which will lead Cy down a path to another piece of his legacy.

Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.

Produced at WGN Chicago. All rights reserved.
This is the Mutual Broadcasting System.

No comments:

Post a Comment