Thursday, June 10, 2010

Episode 4

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you the fourth episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "The Beginnings of a Legacy", Part 4

Yesterday, we meet the slick manager of WHYP, Mr. Gold, Terry's father, who proceeded to give the weekly ratings and Cy gives his opinion. As we begin today, the day soon passes for Hyperion...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

That night, Cy wonders his way into one of Hyperion's best places to eat and drink: Cathy's Tavern. As Cy enters the place, the atmosphere hits him and he relaxes in for the night.
"Good day to you, Cy." says Cathy, the owner, standing behind the bar.
"Same to you." says Cy, listlessly.
"What's with you today?" asks Cathy as Cy takes a barstool.
"Everything." says Cy.
"Oh, that." says Cathy as she pours a mug of beer.
"I can't believe how Mr. Gold treats me and Conrad." says Cy as he gets handed the mug of beer.
"Do tell." says Cathy.
"Today, Mr. Gold came in with the new ratings and we're third from the top." says Cy.
"You're lucky. Last time, you were fourth from the top. How have things been?" says Cathy.
"Let me tell you. I've been five years without my mother and I think the loneliness is starting to get to me." says Cy.
"Maybe you need a girlfriend." says Cathy.
"I don't know about that. I mean, what if I'm not ready to have a relationship yet?" says Cy.
"When was your last relationship?" asks Cathy.
"About a year ago, and it lasted only three days. The girl just didn't excite me enough to keep going." says Cy.
"Is that needed with you?" asks Cathy.
"The best relationships are those where both people can give each other a spark to keep going, in the face of the everyday." says Cy.
"I guess you just need to find that one." says Cathy.
Just then, a young woman walks her way into the tavern. As she enters, she looks around at the surroundings, taking it all in. The sights and sounds and smells surround her as she walks her way to a barstool, which happens to be next to Cy's.
"Excuse me?" asks the woman.
"What do you want, honey?" asks Cathy.
"I'd like something to drink." says the woman.
"What would you like?" asks Cathy.
"I don't know." says the woman.
"Give her a beer." says Cy, looking over at the woman.
"Thank you, good sir." says the woman.
"You don't have to thank me. I always help out those in need." says Cy.
"Thanks for the help anyway." says the woman.
"You know, I've never seen you here before and it would help me if you were to tell me your name so I can remember who I helped." says Cy.
"My name is... Joanne." says the woman.
"You're welcome for my help, Joanne." says Cy.
"Now, help me by telling me your name." says Joanne.
"I'm Cy Scott, noted radio personality." says Cy.
"I listen to you every morning." says Joanne.
"Then you're among those who do and by the ratings, that's a low number." says Cy.
"You're very funny, even in person." says Joanne.
"I'm gonna ignore that wisecrack at my expanse." says Cy.
"Here's your beer, honey." says Cathy.
"Thanks." says Joanne, who then searches for her wallet.
"This one's on me." says Cy.
"Alright." says Cathy, who then moves away.
"Thanks again for the help, Cy." says Joanne.
"No problem. You know, you look to me as someone who's never been in a place like this." says Cy.
"You're right." says Joanne.
"In fact, you've never really been among people like this." says Cy.
"It shows, doesn't it?" asks Joanne.
"Those blue jeans may fool everyone else but I was taught differently than most." says Cy.
"Nice to hear." says Joanne.
"Come on, drink up. Don't waste your chance to join the common folk." says Cy.
"If you insist." says Joanne, who then takes a sip of her beer and rears back at the reaction.
"That wasn't so bad." says Cy.
"I've never drank this stuff before." says Joanne.
"You'll get used to it." says Cy.
"Why are you helping me so?" asks Joanne.
"I don't know the answer to that. It's just that the second you sat down, something came over me and I can't explain it." says Cy.
"Maybe it's love." says Joanne.
"That fast? I don't know. Maybe I should spend more time with you to find out." says Cy.
"I would enjoy your company." says Joanne.
"So would I." says Cy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Tomorrow, Cy and Joanne continue long into the night, and she sets Cy on a course to a adventure he never thought possible.

Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.

Produced at WGN Chicago. All rights reserved.
This is the Mutual Broadcasting System.

No comments:

Post a Comment