Friday, June 18, 2010

Episode 10

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "The Beginnings of a Legacy", Part 10

Yesterday, Cy and Conrad, in their search to discover the whereabouts of the pinball machine, discover something else: that Cy's mystery woman is actually Joanne Shulman, the daughter of the man who donated the pinball machine. That man, and his father and founder of the company, soon meet up with our detectives...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

"Don't worry, these two are looking for it, aren't you?" says Joe II.
"That's right, sir." says Cy.
"Have we given any clues?" asks Joe I.
"Not right away. All you gave us was the machine's bio, not to mention... " says
Cy before being interupted by Conrad, "Don't, Cy."
"You just find the machine." says Joe II.
"You go find it." says Joe I before he rattles something in Yiddish.
"Be careful, he sounds mean." says Cy.
"You know Yiddish?" asks Joe I.
"Comes from living in New York." says Cy.
"Are you... ?" asks Joe I.
"No, I'm not." says Cy.
"Thought so." says Joe I, who then leaves the room.
"What help you guys are." says Cy.
"Just find my machine before I fire you." says Joe II.
"You don't work for you, Mr. Shulman." says Cy.
"We'll see about that." says Joe II.
"I see, sir. I'm just wondering, is there anyone who would want you to go under?"
asks Cy.
"I have my competitors, detectives. They all want me to go under." says Joe II.
"Relax, sir. I'm just trying to get in all the facts. I believe I'm closing in on the
answer." says Cy.
"You better find it, detectives." says Joe II, who then leaves the room.
"I must apologize for my father. He's very worried about the coffee business."
says Joanne.
"I can see that. Coffee is a valuable trading tool and each move he makes pays off
in tons." says Cy.
"I wish we could be more helpful." says Joanne.
"I don't know about your father, but I know you can be more helpful." says
Conrad.
"Me, too." says Cy.
"Sorry I couldn't be more help." says Joanne.
"That's okay." says Cy.
"Let me show you the way out." says Joanne.
"You're a nice girl. Sweet, innocent." says Cy as they start walking to the door.
"Are you saying I did it?" asks Joanne.
"No, I'm saying you didn't do it." says Cy.
"You do seem like nice guys, detectives." says Joanne as they reach the door.
"We deal ourselves in nice." says Cy.
"How can someone like you be so nice?" asks Joanne as she opens the door.
"My mother always believed in people, even if people don't believe in themselves." says Cy.
"Really?" says Joanne.
"Yeah. That's one part of her legacy I'll keep." says Conrad.
"That's interesting. And have you started looking for your own legacy, Cy?" says Joanne as Cy and Conrad begins to step out the door.
"You bet. Why do you think we're here?" says Cy.
"Glad to hear that." says Joanne.
"Let's go, Cy, before Mr. Gold gets wind of this." says Conrad.
"I'm sorry you have to leave." says Joanne.
"Say, may I have the pleasure of your company once again?" asks Cy.
"When the case is over, a date for that night." says Joanne.
"I'll try and finish today." says Cy.
"Goodbye... detectives." says Joanne as she closes the door.
"All this for nothing?" asks Conrad.
"Well, I finally met Joanne again, and this time, we'll gonna keep in touch." says Cy.
"However it may hurt us and our careers." says Conrad.
Cy and Conrad then turn and begin to head down the driveway. As they get
underway, Cy feels something at his feet. He stops and looks down.
"Look, Conrad, a set of keys." says Cy.
"I see that." says Conrad.
"I wonder who lost them." says Cy as he picks them up.
"I wouldn't know." says Conrad.
"Let's get back to the station." says Cy as he pockets the keys and resumes
walking, with Conrad following behind.
Cy and Conrad then return to the radio station and makes a bee-line for Mr. Gold's
office. As they enter Mr. Gold's office, they see that he's on the phone.
"He said I hired them?" asks Mr. Gold to the man on the other end, apparently Mr.
Shulman reporting on Cy and Conrad's visit.
"Hello, Mr. Gold." says Cy.
"Pardon me, my hired detectives have just arrived." says Mr. Gold with an air of
sarcasm.
Mr. Gold then hangs up the phone with a quick good-bye.
"As you now know, we did make a visit to the Shulmans." says Cy.
"I heard, and did you two find anything?" says Mr. Gold.
"Only that two men brought the machine here. Are they the same two men who
also took the old machine?" says Cy.
"No. Those two men who took the old machine were to take it to Harris' house."
says Mr. Gold.
"We're running low on leads, Conrad." says Cy, who then turns and leaves with
Conrad.
"How about we talk to everyone here again?" asks Conrad.
"I guess we have no choice, for I feel the return of the winter doldrums upon me."
says Cy.
"Right, Cy." says Conrad.
Cy and Conrad then walk their way back to the green room and finds Phil still
there.
"Phil, I would think that you would be gone by now." says Conrad.
"I thought I'd stay until you solved this mystery, detectives." says Phil.
"As you can see, I haven't, Phil, so don't rub it in." says Cy.
"I didn't think you would get far enough to solve it." says Phil.
"I thought I had a lead, but I turned up nothing." says Cy.
"You better find another lead, Detective." says Phil.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Next week, Cy and Conrad manage, by dumb luck, to locate the missing pinball machine, Cy and Joanne begin their romance, and we begin our second serial.

Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.

Produced at WGN Chicago. All rights reserved.
This is the Mutual Broadcasting System.
"The feeling's always Mutual"

No comments:

Post a Comment