Thursday, June 24, 2010

Episode 14

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "The Streets of This Town", Part 2

Yesterday, we began our second serial with Cy and Joanne ending their first date. Cy then went home and watched television until the sun rose. Cy then started walking to work. Along the way, we met Polly McIntyre, the police station janitor and niece of the police chief. As we left off, Polly had just begun her workday...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Just then, one of Officer Grace's fellow lawkeepers, Officer Timmy, enters the police station with a man, dressed in a plaid shirt, carrying a fiddle case in his arm.
"But officew, I'm tewwing the twuth." says the man, in a cajun accent.
"I know you awe." says Officer Timmy, mocking the man.
"Officer Timmy, what have you done?" asks Polly.
"I got the Hyperion Rapist. He isn't so smart. He confessed to it and he talks in that stupid Elmer Fudd voice, not to mention carrying around his weapon, hidden inside the usual violin case." says Officer Timmy.
"His name is Elmer, and he does play the fiddle." says Polly.
"Elmer?" says Officer Timmy.
"That's what I'm twying to teww you." says Elmer.
"But he confessed to it." says Officer Timmy.
"Was Elmer talking to a lady when he confessed?" asks Polly.
"Yes." says Officer Timmy.
"He likes to confess that he's done various crimes to impress women." says Polly.
"You're kidding?" says Officer Timmy.
"You know, Powwy, I've cweaned my own cwimes fow yeaws." says Elmer.
"I see it now." says Officer Timmy.
"Elmer, would you like to stay for the day?" asks Polly.
"Oh, boy, yes. I get to be a assistant." says Elmer.
"Uncuff him and give him back his case." says Polly.
"Okay." says Officer Timmy, who then uncuffs Elmer.
"What do I do fiwst, Powwy?" asks Elmer.
"Sit in that chair and watch me." says Polly.
"Okay, Powwy." says Elmer, sitting in a chair by a desk.
"I gotta get back to my beat." says Officer Timmy, who then walks out the door.
"I heard something in here." says Chief McIntyre, coming out of his office.
"Hewwo, Chief McIntywe." says Elmer.
"Hello to you, Elmer. Who brought you in this time?" says Chief McIntyre.
"Officew Timmy." says Elmer.
"Well, did you brief him on Elmer, Polly?" asks Chief McIntyre.
"Yes, sir." says Polly.
"I guess you've got a assistant today, Polly." says Chief McIntyre.
"That I am." says Elmer.
"If you're good today, I might pay you." says Chief McIntyre.
"That wouwd be gweat." says Elmer, getting out his fiddle.
Cy soon reaches the radio station and makes his way into the green room. In the green room, Cy takes up a magazine and waits for Phil to arrive, during which Mr. Gold arrives after Cy has been there for 30 minutes.
"I wonder who's gonna my mother's character in this Welcome Back, Kotter movie? Maybe Lindsay Lohan?" says Cy to himself.
"Good morning, Scott." says Mr. Gold as he enters the room.
"Same to you, Mr. Gold." says Cy, still reading his magazine.
"Listen, Scott, I have something to tell you." says Mr. Gold.
"You're firing Barry and Terry?" asks Cy.
"No way, Scott. I've decided to make you this week's host of the WHYP Law School." says Mr. Gold.
"Is it my turn?" asks Cy.
"I make the decisions around here, you just follow them." says Mr. Gold.
"I accept your offer." says Cy.
"You have to." says Mr. Gold, who then leaves the room.
Cy continues to wait for Phil, who arrives about an hour and 15 minutes after Cy's arrival.
"Hello, Cy." says Phil as he enters the green room.
"Morning, Phil. Have a good night sleep?" says Cy.
"I did, and you?" says Phil.
"The same. I feel the Tuesday morning blues, man. I'm one of those people who
have it out for Tuesday as a day of the week. My mother died on a Tuesday, so I have a
little more reason to hate it." says Cy.
"I hear ya." says Phil.
"Besides, Tuesday is the day the station does its series about law enforcement,
which features Officer Grace in a starring role." says Cy.
"That's right. Who's the host this week?" says Phil.
"Believe it or not, I checked the schedule and it's my turn." says Cy.
"Another guest host." says Phil.
"Hard to believe the old host decided to go to law school and become a lawyer in
Chicago." says Cy.
"Me, too. So, how did your date with Joanne go last night?" says Phil.
"As much as a normal first date can be." says Cy, putting down the magazine.
"That good?" asks Phil.
"Not that good. I took her home and that's all I did." says Cy.
"Have a good night's sleep?" asks Phil.
"I didn't sleep. I just watched television. I even caught a re-run of one of my mother's shows." says Cy.
"Good for you. Nice to see you still enjoy them." says Phil.
"I never stopped." says Cy.
"Just which one was it?" asks Phil.
"Welcome Back, Kotter. Specifically, that first one, where she pretends to be
pregnant." says Cy.
"Watched it out of mindfulness?" asks Phil.
"Just watched it. I don't need a reason to watch." says Cy.
"Do you really need one?" asks Phil.
"That was the first time since she died that I sat down and watched something that she acted in." says Cy.
"I can't imagine going five years without seeing something anyone near me was in." says Phil.
"You managed to get that one, Phil." says Cy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Tomorrow, an old figure from Phil's past visits and Phil gets a chance to move up in the world, or just in his job.

Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.

Produced at WGN Chicago. All rights reserved.
This is the Mutual Broadcasting System.
"The feeling's always Mutual"

No comments:

Post a Comment