Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Episode 17

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "The Streets of This Town", Part 5

Yesterday, Cy went on the air, hosting the weekly law relations show at WHYP. During the show, he asks important questions and fields phone calls from interested and semi-imvolved people. As we begin, the end of the show has arrived...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

When the show ends, Cy signs off and the panel members get out of their chairs
and head for the door, except Officer Grace, who walks over to Cy. Phil looks on and
sees Officer Grace whisper something in Cy's ear.
Phil can't tell anything due to the soundproof nature of the control room. Officer
Grace then backs away and Cy gets up from his chair. Cy then walks into the control
room, followed by Officer Grace.
"Phil, I believe Officer Grace would like to talk to you." says Cy.
"Okay." gulps Phil as Officer Grace walks over.
"Take your time." says Cy as he walks to a corner of the room.
"I'll leave now." says the engineer as he switches to some NPR feed for the night
and leave the control room.
"Well, what do you want?" asks Phil.
"Well, Cy has told me that you may have a crush on me." says Officer Grace.
Phil looks over at Cy, who gives a little wave.
"Well, maybe a little crush but I would never go too far." says Phil.
"Because of our ages?" queries Officer Grace.
"No, I mean, you're... 32 and I'm... 21 and that's no reason." says Phil in his best
babble.
"Don't let that get in the way because I've been having some feelings for you,
too." says Officer Grace.
Phil nearly loses it.
"You... have feelings... for me?" says Phil.
"A little, ever since I first saw you." says Officer Grace.
"The feeling is mutual." says Cy.
"Anyway, I was wondering if you would like to go out with me this Friday, if it's
all right with you." says Officer Grace.
Phil stands there for a minute as he ponders Officer Grace's offer.
Finally, Phil answers, "Yes."
Officer Grace gives Phil a hug and says, "See ya Friday."
Cy watches Officer Grace leave the room and then, walks over to Phil.
"Well, Phil, you got a date." says Cy.
"Yeah, with Officer Grace." says Phil.
15 minutes later, outside the radio station, Phil exits with Cy as the both of them begin their way home.
"I hope you'll do well on your date." says Cy.
"Me, too." says Phil.
"Hey, Phil." says a voice.
Cy and Phil look around and spy Thomas, standing on the sidewalk near them.
"What are you doing here?" asks Phil.
"I have a favor to ask you." says Thomas.
"I'll just keep walking. See you tomorrow, Phil." says Cy, who then walks away.
"What do you want out of me, Thomas?" asks Phil.
"A place to stay." says Thomas.
"I don't know of any." says Phil.
"How about your place?" asks Thomas.
"Why would I let my former bully stay with me?" asks Phil.
"Can't you forget that and just help me?" asks Thomas.
"I can't forget all the things you did to me and I never will." says Phil.
"I've spent the last few years realizing the pain I've caused others and I wish to start anew." says Thomas.
"I don't know if I can trust you." says Phil.
"Just for one night, let go of the past and take me in." says Thomas.
Phil just stands there for a moment as he thinks over Thomas' request. Finally, after a minute, Phil speaks, "I will, but just for one night."
"Thanks, Phil. I promise to do my best." says Thomas.
"We'll see about that." says Phil as he and Thomas get underway.
30 minutes later, Phil and Thomas arrive at Phil's house. As Phil turns on the lights, Thomas makes his way around.
"What a place you got." says Thomas.
"It's home to me but only a one-night rest for you." says Phil.
"I'll take it over a prison cell." says Thomas.
"How long did you spend?" asks Phil.
"About five years, after I left the juvie hall." says Thomas.
"So I heard from some of my fellow victims." says Phil.
"Who's the gal in the picture?" asks Thomas as he picks up the picture of a young lady off a table.
"None of your business." says Phil.
"Must've been important to you if you kept her picture." says Thomas.
"Put it down or out you go." says Phil.
"Who's the bully now?" says Thomas as he puts the picture down.
"I didn't mean it that way." says Phil.
"It's a classic set-up. The bullied getting their revenge on the bully." says Thomas.
"I can't help it, after all the damage you caused." says Phil.
"If you can look past that, I believe we can be friends." says Thomas.
"Just rest up, you'll need it." says Phil, who then makes his way into the bedroom.
"I guess I get to sleep on the couch." says Thomas.
The next day arrives with the sunrise. With the sunrise, as always, brings a new day. At Phil's house, Thomas is sleeping away on the couch, hugging his guitar case like someone would hug a loved one.
Phil walks out of his bedroom all dressed up and ready to go for the day at hand. As he starts to make his way to the door, he spies Thomas still sleeping. Phil then changes course and makes his way over to the couch.
"Wake up!" shouts Phil, awakening Thomas from his slumber.
"I was having a wonderful dream until you woke me up." says Thomas.
"I'm sorry to disturb your sleep, but it's time for you to go." says Phil.
"Why now? How about a bite to eat?" asks Thomas.
"I'll give you enough for you to get some breakfast but now, you must leave." says Phil.
"Why are you doing this to me?" asks Thomas.
"Because I don't want my bully living with me." says Phil.
"That was a long time ago. Can't you ever get over it?" says Thomas, getting off the couch.
"Not me." says Phil.
"The bully getting bullied." says Thomas.
"Why did you even stay with me? I mean, you have your own house to go home to." says Phil.
"Not with all the memories there." says Thomas.
"You said you wish to make amends for all the pain you caused. Well, you need to confront your pain first." says Phil.
"I guess I should leave and think about going home." says Thomas as he makes his way to the front door.
"Let me give you some money." says Phil as he reaches for his wallet.
"Thanks." says Thomas.
"It's the best I can do." says Phil, handing over a fair amount to Thomas.
"You're welcome." says Thomas, who then makes his way out the door.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Tomorrow, illiness once again strikes WHYP and Thomas, with no place to turn to, goes home and confronts the past he finds there.

Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.

Produced at WGN Chicago. All rights reserved.
This is the Mutual Broadcasting System.
"The feeling's always Mutual"

No comments:

Post a Comment