Monday, November 1, 2010

Episode 106

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "Why Not Your Baby", Part 4

Last week, Darlene welcomed an addition to her family in the form of a baby, found outside the police station by Cy.  Cy, who didn't feel the baby belonged in foster care, handed it to Darlene as part of a new job he invented: temporary parent.  Darlene soon took the baby home and gave it the temporary name Baby Debralee, after Cy's mother.
Also, last week, we announced that this week will be the final one for the daily series, and that the series will be re-formatted into a weekly show.  So, let's begin this final week with continuing from where he left off, as Cy and Conrad engaged in another argument...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Well, your sister was, and you're next as her sibling." says Cy.

"I'm not turning into a human iceberg!" says Conrad.

"Excuse me, Cy?" asks the voice of Officer Grace at the door of the green room.

"Yes, Grace. What info do you bring us?" says Cy.

"It's about Darlene." says Officer Grace.

"She's gone crazy, hasn't she?" asks Conrad.

"Shut up, Conrad." says Cy.

"It's about her temporary parent role." says Officer Grace.

"What about it?" asks Cy.

"It's been upgraded to permanant." says Officer Grace with a smile.

"What do you mean?" asks Cy.

"Chief McIntyre has decided not to file with the county adoption agency and just awarded custody of the newborn to Darlene." says Officer Grace.

"What for?" asks Conrad.

"Because it has to go to someone and after seeing her and the baby yesterday, he decided to give it to her." says Officer Grace.

"So, Darlene's now a real mother?" asks Cy.

"That she is." says Officer Grace.

"I knew it!" says Cy.

"What did you know?" asks Officer Grace.

"Well, I thought that if I got Darlene off the bat, I could help her in her need of a child." says Cy.

"You planned this whole thing?" asks Phil.

"That I did." says Cy.

"Whoa! Cy, you're the best." says Phil.

"He played my sister." says Conrad.

"Now, I wouldn't say that." says Cy.

"There was a chance that Chief McIntyre would report it to the county adoption agency and take the baby out of her hands." says Conrad.

"I bet that he wouldn't. I know Chief McIntyre after spending so much time with Polly. Chief McIntyre is a first-come, first-served kind of guy." says Cy.

"That's right." says Officer Grace.

"That was quite a gamble." says Phil.

"I knew it would pay off." says Cy.

"Gotta go." says Officer Grace, who then leaves.

"Cy, I can't believe you." says Conrad.

"I sure can believe it. Cy's ruse worked and Darlene is now a mother." says Phil.

"For good, this time." says Cy.

"I can't believe you played my sister like that." says Conrad.

"I didn't play her. I only helped her." says Cy.

"In a way that could have killed her, which wouldn't be the first time." says Conrad.

"Stop bringing up that birthday party!" says Cy.

"Is that guilt talking?" asks Conrad.

"That's annoyence talking." says Cy.

"I think it is guilt." says Conrad.

"This whole thing is annoying." says Cy.

"Ditto here." says Phil.

"Conrad, when are you ever gonna let go of this?" asks Cy.

"Not until Darlene gets back to normal." says Conrad.

"She is normal." says Cy.

"I mean the way she used to be." says Conrad.

"You want an iceberg as a sister?" asks Cy.

"If it means keeping her safe from harm." says Conrad.

"Everyone gets harmed." says Phil.

"Don't I know it?" says Conrad.

"One day, you're gonna tell me what is keeping you from accepting this human Darlene." says Cy.

"I'll never tell." says Conrad.

"I know one thing." says Cy.

"What, Cy?" asks Conrad.

"I'm gonna tell Darlene the good news." says Cy.

Later that morning, Cy and Conrad silently enter the library.

"I would've been happy to tell her." says Conrad.

"I think it would sound better from me." says Cy.

"Why is that so?" asks Conrad as they near the stairs.

"Because I helped her get that baby." says Cy.

"Hey, guys." says Darlene as she walks out from a row of books.

"Hello, Darlene. Where's the baby?" says Cy.

"At home, asleep." says Darlene.

"That's just like her namesake. She like to sleep, too." says Cy.

"What are you doing here?" asks Darlene.

"Darlene, I come here with important news." says Cy.

"I could tell her myself." says Conrad.

"I wouldn't be the same from you." says Cy.

"What wouldn't be the same?" asks Darlene.

"It concerns Baby Debralee." says Cy.

"What about her?" asks Darlene.

"She's all yours." says Cy.

"What do you mean?" asks Darlene.

"Chief McIntyre has awarded custody of the baby to you, Darlene." says Cy.

"That's... great." says Darlene.

"I thought you would be happier." says Cy.

"I am happy." says Darlene.

"Something's bugging at you." says Cy.

"How can you know?" asks Darlene.

"I just can tell. Call it a way of reading people." says Cy.

"Cy, Conrad, I have something I wanna tell you." says Darlene.

"Should we sit down?" asks Cy.

"Yes, please." says Darlene, followed by Cy and Conrad sitting down at a table next to them.

"Now, please tell us what's on your mind?" asks Conrad.

"This seems familiar to me." says Cy.

"Maybe it's just your method of thinking." says Conrad.

"Quiet, please. I'm trying to say something." says Darlene.

"You will, if you please just tell us." says Cy.

"Cy, Conrad... I'm pregnant." says Darlene.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Tomorrow, Cy and Conrad question an expectant mother about the origin of her baby, beyond the obvious, of course.
 
Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.
 
A production of WGN Chicago.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment