Thursday, November 4, 2010

Episode 109

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "Why Not Your Baby", Part 7

Yesterday, Darlene invited Thomas to join her for dinner, with the promise that Conrad will keep himself in check.  Meanwhile, Cy, having caught wind of it, has made his way over to Darlene and Conrad's house to prepare dinner while Darlene gets ready. 
As we begin today, the day soon passes...

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The evening soon arrives, and in the kitchen, steam comes out of a couple of pots and pans scattered on the stove as Cy moves around and stirs and smells the dinner he is making.

"Perfecto." says Cy as he smells from a pot.

"How's dinner coming along?" asks Conrad from the living room.

"Just fine. Everything is set." says Cy.

Suddenly, the doorbell rings.

"There's the guest of honor." says Conrad.

"I'll get it, Conrad." says Cy as he rushes out of the kitchen and to the front door.

"If you insist." says Conrad as Cy opens the door to reveal Thomas.

"Cy? What are you doing here?" says Thomas as he enters.

"I decided to keep an eye on Conrad while you're here." says Cy.

"Good idea." says Thomas, who then smells the aromas from the kitchen

"Smell that?" asks Cy.

"That I do." says Thomas.

"That's my work you're smelling." says Cy.

"You can cook?" asks Thomas.

"That I can. Excuse me while I attend to my work." says Cy, who then rushes back to the kitchen.

"Welcome to our home." says Conrad.

"Thanks. Looks nice." says Thomas.

"Have you been here before?" asks Conrad.

"Once." says Thomas.

"I see. I must have been out." says Conrad.

"Good thing you were." says Thomas.

"What's that suppose to mean?" asks Conrad as Thomas takes a seat on the couch.

"Nothing. It means nothing." says Thomas.

"It better mean nothing." says Conrad.

"Okay, guys. The food is ready to be served." says Cy as he walks out of the kitchen.

"What's on the menu?" asks Conrad.

"That's a secret until serving time. There's a theme I wish not to spoil." says Cy.

"What else is new?" says Conrad.

"You know, we've got time until Darlene comes down, so let's talk." says Cy.

"About what?" asks Thomas.

"Anything that's on your mind." says Cy as he takes a seat on the couch.

"I don't have anything, really." says Thomas.

"I have something." says Conrad.

"We don't need to hear it." says Cy.

"How can you be certain?" asks Conrad.

"Trust me. I know." says Cy.

"Hello, boys." says the voice of Darlene from the stairs.

The three men's heads turn to see Darlene, dressed in a revealing black dress, posing herself on the stairs.

"Hello... " says Thomas.

"I can't watch." says Conrad.

"Then turn your head." says Cy.

"You first." says Conrad.

"Hello, Thomas, you hunk of man, you." says Darlene in a velvet voice.

"Darlene, nice to see you." says Thomas.

"Same here, Thomas." says Darlene as she walks slowly down the stairs.

"What's with the get-up, sis?" asks Conrad.

"I just thought I would dress up a bit." says Darlene.

"I'm feeling this strange combination of interest, sex, and incest." says Cy.

"I get the first two, but incest?" says Conrad.

"Look under Oedipus, my friend." says Cy.

"Let's save that for later." says Conrad, moving off towards the dining room.

"It must be big news if you're dressed like this." says Thomas.

"The tightness of that dress should leave no clue." says Cy to himself as he moves towards the kitchen.

"Darlene, you didn't have to do this." says Thomas.

"Trust me, I did." says Darlene as she reaches the bottom of the stairs.

"Why?" asks Thomas.

"You'll see." says Darlene as she walks towards the dining room.

"Must be big if Darlene is all dressed up like that." says Thomas as he follows behind.

"Ready to eat?" asks Conrad as Darlene and Thomas enter the dining room.

"I hope you are." says Darlene as she walks up to her chair, which Thomas pulls out for her.

"What a gentleman." says Conrad.

"I agree on that." says Darlene as Thomas takes his seat.

"Here's your dinner, all prepared by me, your master chef for the evening." says Cy as he wheels in a dinner cart with food on it.

"Oh, joy." says Conrad, sarcastically.

"Now, when I was planning tonight's menu, I was stumped." says Cy.

"Interesting." says Darlene.

"First, I thought about making each of you a separate dish." says Cy.

"What an idea." says Conrad.

"But I decided against it, so I turned on my thinking cap." says Cy.

"And what did you come up with?" asks Darlene.

"This." says Cy as he puts a plate down in front of Darlene.

"That looks nice." says Thomas.

"You should be. It's a dish of my own design." says Cy as he puts a plate down in front of Thomas.

"And what, pray tell, is your plate?" asks Conrad as he gets his plate.

"The name of this dish is Chicken Debralee." says Cy as he puts his plate down at his spot on the table.

"A dish named for your mother?" asks Thomas.

"One of my best ideas." says Darlene.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Tomorrow, we conclude the daily series with a discussion and news, the usual stuff that happens at a dinner table, or so it goes.
 
Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.
 
A production of WGN Chicago.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment