Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Episode 108

The Mutual Broadcasting System bring you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "Why Not Your Baby", Part 6

Yesterday, Darlene told Cy and Conrad that she was pregnant, with Thomas as the father.  Conrad goes into a panic as he fears that Thomas has shamed his sister, while Cy gives his congrats while also thinking back to his own creation and fearing a repeat of events.
As we begin today, we head back downtown...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back at the library, Darlene walks her way into the area behind the reception desk, where she takes a seat at a table. As she sits, she breathes a sigh. She then reaches over and grabs a phone and begins dialing.

At the police station, Thomas is busy mopping up a section of floor in the main office area as Polly sits on a nearby desk, picking out notes on her guitar with her fingers.

"You're a great finger picker." says Thomas.

"I've had lots of practice." says Polly.

"Then why let Cy put the Sidewinders behind you, when your picking alone can accompany you?" asks Thomas.

"He hears only my voice." says Polly.

"Well, the next time you see him, make him hear your playing." says Thomas.

Suddenly, the phone on the desk starts ringing. Quickly, Polly picks up the receiver.

"Hello?" asks Polly.

"Hello, Polly. May I speak to Thomas?" asks Darlene at the other end.

"Who's calling?" asks Polly.

"It's me, Darlene." says Darlene.

"Thomas, it's Darlene." says Polly as she hands off the receiver to Thomas.

"Darlene?" asks Thomas as he puts the receiver to his ear.

"Thomas, I've called you to ask you over to my house tonight." says Darlene.

"What for?" asks Thomas.

"I need to talk to you about something." says Darlene.

"What?" asks Thomas.

"I'd rather saved that until tonight." says Darlene.

"Are you sure Conrad won't mind?" asks Thomas.

"He'll have to mind." says Darlene.

"When should I be there?" asks Thomas.

"At 7:00 pm." says Darlene.

"Got it. Be there." says Thomas.

"Goodbye." says Darlene, who then hangs up the phone.

"What did Darlene want?" asks Polly as Thomas hands back the receiver.

"She wanted me to come over to her house tonight." says Thomas as Polly put the receiver back on the phone.

"What for?" asks Polly.

"She didn't say." says Thomas.

"It must be important." says Polly.

"I just hope Conrad can stand me in his home." says Thomas.

"I'm sure he will. He may dislike you but he must treat you as a guest." says Polly.

"I hope so." says Thomas.

That afternoon, Conrad is sitted in the living room easy chair, reading the newspaper as Darlene makes her way inside the house. She then sneaks into the living room, making her way over to where Conrad is.

"Hello, Conrad" says Darlene in a sweet voice.

"Hello, sis." says Conrad, still reading the paper.

"How did your show go today?" asks Darlene.

"It went well, as it always does. Don't you listen to it?" says Conrad.

"I work in a library. Not a good place to listen to the radio." says Darlene.

"Well, how was your day?" asks Conrad.

"It went well. You were there today, remember?" says Darlene.

"Oh, yeah. I remember it well, even the part about me becoming a uncle, again." says Conrad.

"I didn't mean to make you feel that way." says Darlene.

"And, yet, I do." says Conrad.

"Well, I'm gonna make it up to you." says Darlene.

"How?" asks Conrad.

"Well, I'm gonna invite Thomas over here tonight." says Darlene.

"What on earth for?" asks Conrad.

"Well, I'm gonna tell him that he has a baby on the way." says Darlene.

"There's no need to tell him. Besides, he'll leave town on that news." says Conrad.

"He will not." says Darlene.

"How can you be sure?" asks Conrad.

"How can you be so negative?" asks Cy, entering the room.

"What are you doing here, Cy?" asks Darlene as he arrives at the easy chair.

"Thomas called me and told me about the special dinner he was having here tonight." says Cy.

"Why did he call you?" asks Conrad.

"Because he wanted to make sure you would behave around him." says Cy.

"Thank goodness you're here anyway." says Darlene.

"Darlene, I've decided to cook up that dinner, so you may get ready." says Cy.

"Thanks, Cy. You're worth a million." says Darlene, who then darts up the stairs.

"Tell me the truth, Cy. Thomas just told you about it." says Conrad.

"He did, but I felt you needed watching over, so as to not spoil the evening." says Cy.

"How could I spoil the evening?" asks Conrad.

"I can think of a few things." says Cy.

"Like what?" asks Conrad.

"Like telling Thomas the news and not Darlene." says Cy.

"He needs warning." says Conrad.

"He needs to hear it from Darlene, not you." says Cy.

"Name another way I could spoil the evening." says Conrad.

"Just your general personality right now. It's known to spoil a few things." says Cy.

"Leave me alone." says Conrad.

"I'm helping Darlene tell Thomas this news the best way she can, and I thought I would help by doing two things." says Cy.

"What two things?" asks Conrad.

"By making the dinner and keeping you in line." says Cy.

"How can you cook dinner?" asks Conrad.

"I'm an expert cook. Comes from constant viewings of the Food Network." says Cy as he walks from the easy chair.

"And many hours in New York's finest restaurants." says Conrad.

"I can't help that." says Cy.

"Sure you can't." says Conrad.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Tomorrow, Thomas arrives for the dinner as Cy finishes cooking and Conrad finishes fuming over it.  What a night this will be.
 
Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.
 
A production of WGN Chicago.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment