Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Episode 107

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "Why Not Your Baby", Part 5

Yesterday, we began the final week of daily episodes with Officer Grace telling Cy that Darlene has been made the permanant mother of the foundling, which was Cy's plan all along with the temporary parent scheme, which Conrad struck out against after hearing about it.  Cy and Conrad then went down to the library to tell Darlene the good news.
As we begin, Darlene has just told the duo that she is pregnant...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You're what?" asks Conrad.

"Pregnant." says Darlene.

"I think that's what she said." says Cy.

"Keep out of this." says Conrad.

"Why should I?" asks Cy.

"Quiet. Are you sure?" says Conrad.

"Well, my friend was a little late, if you know what I mean." says Darlene.

"I get the idea." says Cy.

"Well, I took a test this morning, and it was positive." says Darlene.

"That's wonderful!" says Cy.

"That's terrible." says Conrad.

"Why is that terrible?" asks Cy.

"Because she already has one." says Conrad.

"The more the merrier, they say. Darlene told me that she wanted a sizable family." says Cy.

"When did this happen?" asks Conrad.

"There's only one man I've been with in the required time." says Darlene.

"Good ol' Thomas. He's the father." says Cy.

"That ex-con? He's the father?" asks Conrad.

"He has to be." says Cy.

"You keep out of this!" says Conrad.

"I have every right to be part of this." says Cy.

"You could have prevented this." says Conrad.

"How can I prevent this?" asks Cy.

"You could have left Thomas in jail." says Conrad.

"Thomas is a human being, same as your sister." says Cy.

"My sister's been volated by that man. Don't dare to pass it off now." says Conrad.

"Conrad, I believe you're losing it." says Cy.

"And why not? Thomas knocked her up and now, he's left her to raise it alone." says Conrad.

"Thomas is still with her, Conrad." says Cy.

"Actually, we haven't been together since that first date." says Darlene.

"So, is the relationship over?" asks Cy.

"It must be." says Darlene.

"I don't like the sound of that." says Cy, getting up from the table.

"Believe it. It's the truth." says Darlene.

"Excuse me. I must make my leave." says Cy, who then does so.

"I wonder why he left?" says Darlene.

"Who cares? Your honor is at steak!" says Conrad.

"My honor?" asks Darlene.

"People respect you. You don't need to have these children." says Conrad.

"Leave me alone, Conrad!" says Darlene, who then walks away, leaving Conrad alone.

Some time later, Cy arrives at his home. As he walks inside, he hears the sounds of Renee and Stacy coming from the study. He makes his way to the study to find them making out some, sitted on a small stool.

"Good day, ladies!" says Cy.

"Cy, why are you interupting our time together?" asks Stacy.

"I'm sorry. My mind's on something." says Cy, who then leaves.

"It must be serious." says Stacy.

"Keep out of this, Stacy." says Renee.

"I can't help it." says Stacy.

"It's none of our concern." says Renee.

"He helped us, Renee." says Stacy, getting up from the stool.

"Don't push it with him." says Renee.

"How can I push him? Nothing seems to get to him." says Stacy as she begins to leave the room.

"Until now." says Renee as Stacy exits the room.

Stacy walks into the living room to find Cy staring at the picture of his mother over the mantle. She stops and watches as he begins to speak to the picture.

"I fear that a cycle of events is starting all over again, Mama." says Cy.

"What cycle?" asks Stacy.

"Oh... nothing." says Cy, turning around.

"It must be something if you're telling your mother about it." says Stacy, walking forward towards Cy.

"I like to talk to her, so I don't feel alone." says Cy.

"What about Liberty, your dog?" asks Stacy.

"This requires a human response." says Cy.

"I'm a human." says Stacy.

"I guess you're right." says Cy.

"So, what's on your mind?" asks Stacy.

"A friend of mine is pregnant." says Cy.

"That's a wonderful thing. I don't know why you're so lackluster about it." says Stacy.

"I'm just remembering how I came into the world." says Cy.

"How do those two subjects relate, besides the obvious?" says Stacy.

"Stacy, I was the product of a basic one-night stand." says Cy.

"Really?" says Stacy.

"My mother and my father were together during a mutual bout of loneliness, so they decided to cure it with each other." says Cy.

"And what happened after that?" asks Stacy.

"Well, they moved on but soon, my mother found out that... " says Cy.

"The same thing happened to this friend of yours?" asks Stacy.

"It's starting to, but I feel I can do something about it this time." says Cy.

"As long as you believe that, it will happen." says Stacy.

"I hope so. My mother was always happy she had me. It could have been different." says Cy.

"I've met your father, and he's a good reason to love you." says Stacy.

"How's that?" asks Cy.

"Well, if things hold out, you'll turn out just like him." says Stacy.

"To me, that's part insult and part complement." says Cy.

"Nice to know that." says Stacy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Tomorrow, an invitation to a dinner is given, with the idea that big news will occur from it, if everything goes right, all to plan.
 
Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.
 
A production of WGN Chicago.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment