Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Episode 22

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "The Streets of This Town", Part 10

Yesterday, Cy and Conrad did their Friday show, complete with a tribute by Cy to all lovers everywhere in honor of Phil's date with Officer Grace that night. Meanwhile, we found that Polly, the janitor down at the police station, is a singer and delivers a concert, her usual thing, to those in the jail, including Thomas. As we begin today, the sun is setting in the west as night approaches...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

As night falls on Hyperion, the bank swells with people's checks and romance blooms for two people. As Phil sits in his house, dressed in his best suit, he awaits the arrival of Officer Grace.
Suddenly, at about 7:30 pm, he hears a knock at the door. Phil rushes over to the door and opens it. There, in front of him, is Officer Grace, dressed in a red sweater with a grey skirt.
"Officer Grace, I've never seen you like this." says Phil.
Her hair, which had been tied behind her head, was now down and out.
"Ready, Phil?" asks Officer Grace.
"Sure... Grace." says Phil.
Officer Grace extends her arm and Phil takes hold of it and together, the two walk to Officer Grace's car. Phil gets in on the passenger side and Officer Grace gets in the driver's seat. Before starting the car, she gives Phil a kiss.
"That's one, to start." says Officer Grace as she starts the car.
"I guess I get more later." says Phil.
"You bet." says Officer Grace as she backs the car out of the driveway.
"So, where are we going?" asks Phil.
"We're going to Tom's Place." says Officer Grace.
"Great place to go." says Phil.
"I know." says Officer Grace.
The two drive to Tom's Place, the best eatery in town.
"This is the place." says Officer Grace when they get there.
"Wow, I never knew this place as a place for romance." says Phil.
"Come with me and I'll show you." says Officer Grace as she walks to the door, with Phil running behind.
The two walk arm-and-arm into the place. In the back, Elmer and his group, the Sidewinders, are playing the greatest hits of Dillard & Clark. The group: guitar, bass, pedal steel, drum kit, and fiddle, are Hyperion's premier country-rock players.
"'She was there all that night, said for you I know I'm right.'." sings the lead singer.
"Nice tune. Cy played it a few times." says Phil.
"Come on." says Officer Grace as they walk to a table.
As they sit down, a waitress comes by.
"Hello, welcome to Tom's Place." says the waitress.
"Thanks, can we have some menus?" says Officer Grace.
"Yes, you may. Let me go get them." says the waitress as she moves away.
Phil just sits there, waiting for Officer Grace to start.
"Well, aren't you gonna talk?" asks Officer Grace after a few minutes.
"Here are your menus." says the waitress before Phil can speak.
As the waitress departs, Phil speaks, "I was waiting for you."
"Well, you have every right to start this conversation." says Officer Grace.
"Right. I'm sorry." says Phil.
"Don't be and look at the menu." says Officer Grace.
Phil then plants his face behind the menu, hoping that Officer Grace will start again. Phil stares at the menu for 15 minutes, waiting for Officer Grace to talk. Finally, Phil can't take it.
"I wish to talk to you." says Phil.
"Then why don't you?" asks Officer Grace.
"I was waiting for you to speak." says Phil.
"Well, I want to talk to you, too, and I wanted you to start." says Officer Grace.
"I hoping you would start." says Phil.
"I guess we're talking now." says Officer Grace.
"I guess we are." says Phil.
"Let's keep talking." says Officer Grace.
"Lets." says Phil.
Phil and Officer Grace keep talking, pass the giving of their orders to the waitress, passing the receiving of the orders and through the eating of the food, they keep talking. Meanwhile, Cy happens to walk in due to his knowing Elmer and catches Phil and Officer Grace talking. Cy dares not to interupt their date and watches from one of the counter stools in the place.
As the Sidewinders plays the best of Gram Parsons, the two keep talking. When the band gets to the song that Cy played earlier, Phil decides to take Officer Grace to the dance floor. As the two dance, Cy watches and is amazed at the two.
"That's love, right there, in all its glory." says Cy to the waitress.
"It sure is." says the waitress.
"You know, I've been wanting to make my own legacy, you know, to pass on to my offspring." says Cy.
"Is that right?" asks the waitress.
"And I think I've found another piece. I've brought two people together in love." says Cy.
As 11:00 pm nears, Phil and Officer Grace make their leave, with Cy staying at his chair.
"We close at midnight." says the waitress.
"I know, I'll just wait and leave then." says Cy.
"You need someone." says the waitress.
"I do have someone. She's just not here." says Cy.
Phil and Officer Grace drive back to Phil's house.
"Boy, that was fun." says Phil as they walk through the front door.
"It sure was." says Officer Grace.
"Care for some coffee?" asks Phil.
"I sure would." says Officer Grace.
Phil goes into the kitchen and puts on a pot. As the coffee brews, Officer Grace walks around the apartment.
"Who's this." asks Officer Grace when she sees Phil's special picture.
"That's Evangeline, my high-school crush." says Phil.
"I think I've seen her before." says Officer Grace.
"She died in a car accident senior year." says Phil.
"I know now, it was a accident case I covered." says Officer Grace.
"You were at the scene?" queries Phil.
"I was." says Officer Grace as Phil brings over the coffee.
"She was special. In fact, I thought she would be mine." says Phil.
"She died with her boyfriend." says Officer Grace.
"I know, but I loved her." says Phil.
"Hopefully not as much as me." says Officer Grace.
As Phil and Officer Grace drank their coffee, they realize their inner connection and the look in their eyes becomes one picture and the two soon adjurn to Phil's bedroom. With soft hands, the two soon pass into passion only two people truly in love can have. They continue to look in each other's eyes and see their love.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tomorrow, the morning sun rises on Phil and Officer Grace and an ex-con gets a housing offer from an unlikely source.

Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.

This is the Mutual Boardcasting System.
"The feeling's always Mutual"

NOTE: Starting tomorrow, Life in Hyperion will be moved to 5:00 pm EST as part of a scheduling change. Further changes will be announced by your local Mutual station.

No comments:

Post a Comment