Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Episode 38

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "The Melting of The Iceberg", Part 13

Yesterday, Cy and Joanne had their little dinner with the melted Darlene, who proved to be an excellent hostess after years of bad treatment to people.  The next morning, Cy arrived at work to find Phil alone again and told him about the dinner.  The two were also visited by Darlene, who offered an apology for her past behavior towards them. 
As we begin, Darlene is finishing up her visit...

---------------------------------------------------------------------

"Well, time for you to go get ready for work." says Cy.
"I will. Thanks, Cy and Phil. I'll see you tonight at the tavern." says Darlene, who then giggles and walks crookedly out the green door, just as Conrad enters and sees her depart.
"Good morning, Conrad. How was your day off?" says Cy.
"It was fine. Was that my sister?" says Conrad.
"That it was." says Cy.
"I wonder what's wrong with her?" says Conrad.
"Tell him." says Phil through clinched teeth to Cy.
"What" whispers Cy to Phil.
"Tell him about Darlene." whispers Phil.
"What are you two talking about?" asks Conrad.
"Conrad, what I'm about to tell you I was planning to withhold until it was safe but Phil says I have to tell you." says Cy.
"Out with it, Cy." says Conrad.
"It's about Darlene." says Cy.
"What about Darlene?" asks Conrad.
"Remember that bottle of whiskey I gave her on her birthday two days ago?" asks Cy.
"I do." says Conrad.
"Well, that evening, Darlene decided to drink it all down." says Cy.
"What happened?" asks Conrad.
"The most amazing thing happened, the human iceberg melted." says Cy.
"What are you saying?" asks Conrad.
"I'm saying that whiskey has melted your sister the human iceberg and turned her human." says Cy.
"And all this because she drank?" asks Conrad.
"That's the idea. I'll admit, she has been downing alcohol for the last two days." says Cy.
"I can't believe it." says Conrad.
"Me, neither." says Cy, thinking Conrad gets the idea.
"I can't believe that my sister has turned into a drunk over what I said." says Conrad.
"What? What are you talking about?" asks Cy.
"You see, after you left her house two days ago, I gave her a stern talk. I thought I'd upset her. That's why I didn't come into work yesterday." says Conrad.
"Well, whatever you did, it's all irrelevant now, Darlene has finally become human." says Cy.
"My sister has turned into a drunk and I gonna see to it that she stops, and I'm gonna need your help, Cy." says Conrad.
"Why me, Conrad?" asks Cy.
"Because you're the one that made her drink." says Conrad.
"She drank that bottle down of her own accord. I didn't tell her to." says Cy.
"I overheard you at the party telling her she should." says Conrad.
"I was merely suggesting that she did drink it. I didn't tell her to gulp the whole thing down or start drinking the other bottles." says Cy before realizing what he just said.
"I've gotta get to those bottles and get rid of them before she drinks herself to death." says Conrad.
"You just don't get it, do you?" asks Cy.
"Get what?" asks Conrad.
"That your sister, the human iceberg, has melted and become a human being. She's warm, friendly, and wise. She even made friends with me, Phil, and Joanne. Don't tell me you actually prefer the iceberg." says Cy.
"Why not? She was nice sober, wasn't she?" asks Conrad.
"You still don't get it." says Cy.
"I don't need to get it. All I need to get is my sister into AA." says Conrad.
"And have her re-freeze and become a human iceberg again?" asks Cy.
"Didn't your mother drink like that?" asks Conrad.
"She lost the love of her life in one of this country's greatest tragedies, so don't compare your sister to that, ever." says Cy.
"Now you don't get it. She's my sister. I must protect her." says Conrad.
"From having friends? I think you're starting to freeze up, becoming a human iceberg." says Cy.
"I am not!" says Conrad.
"One sibling gets unfrozen, the other starts freezing up." says Cy.
"What an observation, Cy." says Phil.
"It's not true." says Conrad.
"How you would know what's best for your sister?" asks Cy.
"Yeah, you've never even met the melted version." says Phil.
Suddenly, Cy hits on an idea.
"There lies our problem, Conrad has not met the human Darlene yet." says Cy.
"That's right, Cy. The two haven't met." says Phil.
"He's her sister, but the two haven't crossed paths." says Cy.
"I don't need to." says Conrad.
"I think you do, Conrad, and as it just so happens, I invited Darlene to Polly's concert at the tavern tonight." says Cy.
"Polly's singing at the tavern?" asks Conrad.
"Yep, with me on mandolin and Elmer on fiddle as her back-up band, and Darlene will be there, so I invite you down to the tavern tonight to hear Polly and meet the human Darlene." says Cy.
"I accept, but only on the first basis." says Conrad.
"Believe me, you'll love the human Darlene as much as you managed to love iceberg Darlene." says Cy.
That night, as the sun begins to set, Cy, with the urn containing his mother's ashes in hand, and Thomas, with two carrying cases in his hands, make their way to the front door of Cathy's Tavern.
"I can't believe you're bringing that urn with you." says Thomas.
"I think my mother has every right to hear Polly, even like this." says Cy.
"Well, I have to carry your mandolin, named for her, and a tape recorder." says Thomas.
"Consider yourself a roadie tonight." says Cy.
"I will not." says Thomas.
"Then be careful with that stuff." says Cy.
"Why do you have a tape recorder?" asks Thomas.
"I'm gonna record the show tonight for history's sake." says Cy.
"Well, that's interesting." says Thomas.
"I have a couple of reels of my mother's singing that people will be interested in someday." says Cy.
"Can I listen to them?" asks Thomas.
"Tomorrow." says Cy as he and Thomas finally reach the front door.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Tomorrow, Cy and company settle in for Polly's performance, and the first sparks fly in another romance.  Love is abound in Hyperion, isn't it?

Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.

A production of WGN Chicago.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment