Friday, July 9, 2010

Episode 25

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "The Streets of This Town", Part 13

Yesterday, Cy finished the tour he was giving to his new boarder, Thomas, with visits to Cy's study and Thomas' new bedroom.  Today ends our second serial and as we begin today, Cy has just finished and Thomas has offered his thanks...

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Cy then hears a knock at the door. He walks out of the bedroom and to the front door. When he opens it, he finds Joanne.
"Joanne. What are you doing here?" asks Cy as Joanne walks inside.
"I came here to... " says Joanne before she's taken aback by the same fixings as Thomas.
"Like it?" asks Cy as Joanne spots the painting of Cy's mother.
"Your mother looks beautiful." says Joanne.
"The painting was taken from an old photograph I had of her. I had it made for her funeral." says Cy.
"Well, I never... Where was I?" says Joanne.
"You wanted something." says Cy.
"Ah, yes. I wish to invite you to dinner at my house." says Joanne.
"What for?" asks Cy.
"Because after what happened Monday, I wanted to smooth things over." says Joanne.
"Well, you got the right idea." says Cy.
"Will you come?" asks Joanne.
"I will." says Cy.
"Thanks." says Joanne, who then turns and leave.
"Who was that?" asks Thomas, standing nearby.
"That was Joanne, my new girlfriend." says Cy.
"She looks nice." says Thomas.
"Get your own girl." says Cy.
That night, at the Shulmans' dinner table, the Shulmans and Cy sit down to eat dinner, which sits in the center of the table. As they sit down, Joe I looks over at Cy.
"I hope this dinner is good enough for you." says Joe I.
"I hope it is." says Cy.
"You promised, grandpa, no fighting." says Joanne.
"Then how will we talk?" asks Joe I.
"Grandpa... " says Joanne.
"Okay, okay. What a girl you gave me, Joe II." says Joe I.
"And that goes for you two, too." says Joanne.
Cy then emits a chuckle at Joanne's statement.
"Say, that was funny." says Joe I.
"My mother taught me to enjoy humor, no matter where it came from." says Cy.
"Who exactly was your mother?" asks Joe I.
"The late Debralee Scott, world-famous television and film actress." says Cy.
"I haven't heard of her." says Joe I.
"Ever heard of Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman?" asks Cy.
"I used to watch it a lot. Every day, as a matter of fact. I was a fan." says Joe I.
"My mother was Mary's sister." says Cy.
"Are you kidding?" asks Joe I.
"No, I'm not. She was also the woman all the sweathogs talked about, until she got them to stop." says Cy.
"How does a guy like you end up at a Michigan radio station?" asks Joe I.
"Well, my friend Conrad was born in Hyperion and his father moved the family to New York City around 1990. We became friends from the first meet." says Cy.
"Very interesting." says Joe I.
"However, after the twin towers, Conrad's father moved them back here. I stayed with my mother until her untimely passing." says Cy.
"I'm sorry for your loss." says Joe I.
"Well, when Conrad heard about it, he invited me to live in Hyperion, so I did." says Cy.
"What a life story. I guess I misjudged you, boy." says Joe I.
"A lot of people do until they hear who my mother was." says Cy.
"Excuse me for a minute, but how long are you two gonna keep talking?" asks Joe II.
"Until he leaves." says Joe I.
"That gives me enough time to tell you a few stories." says Cy.
"Do go on. I love to hear about her." says Joe I.
"I tell ya, if you can name a cuisine, trust me, New York City has a restaurant that serves it." says Cy.
"Including bagels?" asks Joe I.
"I lost track of how many bagel shops there were." says Cy.
"I can't believe how interesting you are." says Joe I.
Later that night, Cy returns home, making sure not to close the door loudly, as not to awaken Thomas. However, as soon as Cy closes the door, Thomas appears in the living room.
"Hello, Cy." says Thomas as Cy closes the door.
"I thought you were asleep." says Cy.
"Well, I decided to stay up and greet you upon your return home." says Thomas.
"So it seems." says Cy.
"So, how was your time among Joanne's people?" asks Thomas.
"Interesting." says Cy.
"Do tell." says Thomas.
"Well, when I got there, I met Joanne's family. Joanne's mother, who looks like that nanny character on that old sitcom, not to mention three different Joe Shulmans, the first, second, and third." says Cy.
"How were they each?" asks Thomas.
"The third had a minor indifference in me but the first, althought he took a slight dislike to me at first for being non-Jewish, he soon grew to enjoy me as I entertained him with stories of my mother." says Cy.
"I wish I had your life." says Thomas.
"Not everyone can have mine." says Cy.
"Thanks for taking me in." says Thomas.
"No problem. Maybe one day, you can take back your own house." says Cy.
"Too many ghosts there." says Thomas.
"Well, when the ghosts move out, you'll move in." says Cy.
"I wonder when that is?" asks Thomas.
"Up to you, Thomas." says Cy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Next week, we begin our third serial, which deals with the re-birth of a close figure in Cy and Conrad's life, although closeness isn't a trait of the person to be re-born, and that re-birth might begin to drive a wedge between our duo, the best of friends.

Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.

Produced at WGN Chicago.
All rights reserved.
This is the Mutual Broadcasting System.
"The feelings here always Mutual"

NOTE: Next week, as part of the continued schedule changes to the Mutual line-up, Life in Hyperion is moving from 5:00 pm EST to 2:30 pm.  Further changes will be broadcast by your local Mutual station.

No comments:

Post a Comment