Friday, July 16, 2010

Episode 30

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "The Melting of the Iceberg", Part 5

Yesterday, Cy and Thomas shared songs and opinions of life and Cy shared his feelings for Conrad's sister Darlene, who Cy calls a human iceberg and feels that she will never melt.  As we begin today, we head to the house that Conrad and Darlene share together...

---------------------------------------------------------------------

At his house, Conrad is sitted in a easy chair, reading the local paper. After a while, he lowers the paper to see if anyone is around. When he feels alone, he puts the paper down and gets out of the chair. He then tiptoes to a closet.
Carefully, he opens the door and pulls out an instrument case and walks back over to his easy chair. He opens the case, revealing a banjo, which he gets out and climbs back into the easy chair with it.
Conrad then puts banjo picks on his fingers from the case and then starts doing a banjo roll. The roll soon turns into a song and the song soon gains its lyrics.
"Come gather round, my children, this story I will tell, about Pretty Boy Floyd the outlaw, Oklahoma knew him well." sings Conrad.
As Conrad continues to play, his sister Darlene opens the front door and walks into the house. Hearing the banjo music, she closes the door carefully behind her and walks slowly into the living room, where Conrad is singing his heart out. When Conrad finishes his tune, Darlene gives him applause.
"Darlene, when did you get in?" asks Conrad.
"About the time you started on the second verse." says Darlene.
"I'm sorry that my playing upset you." says Conrad.
"Why can't you play something a little more up-scale, instead of that poor-man's excuse?" says Darlene.
"I happen to enjoy it. It gets me out of being bored." says Conrad.
"There's no such thing, my brother." says Darlene.
"Well, I know they exist." says Conrad.
"You've got to stop listening to that Cyrus." says Darlene.
"Why not? He has great ideas, like taking in Thomas so he wouldn't be homeless." says Conrad.
"Why would Cyrus find escape with that ex-con?" asks Darlene.
"Cy has a heart for hard-luck cases." says Conrad.
"After all, he is named after one." says Darlene.
"His mother found McLean Stevenson funny." says Conrad.
"Let us not discuss it, my brother." says Darlene.
"Why are you here anyway? You're suppose to be at work." says Conrad.
"The chief librarian actually let me off early. He thinks I actually need it." says Darlene.
"Well, after your age limit idea, I'm inclined to believe him." says Conrad.
"The library is no place for three-year-olds." says Darlene.
"Then how will three-year-olds learn reading?" asks Conrad.
"From their parents, of course." says Darlene.
"Of course, why not?" says Conrad.
"My brother, why did you ask me here today?" asks Darlene.
"To give you this." says Conrad, plucking an enevlope from behind the chair.
"Oh, another birthday card." says Darlene.
"You could at least be happy for me." says Conrad.
Darlene then flashes a bad smile at Conrad, which causes him to finch a bit as Darlene opens the enevlope and the card.
"I am your only sibling, my brother." says Darlene.
"That's what Cy said." says Conrad.
"Well, after today, I'm beginning to not like anything Cyrus has said." says Darlene.
"What happened today?" asks Conrad.
"Cyrus came into the library today." says Darlene.
"He did mention that when he left work today." says Conrad.
"Well, after a minor altercation, I asked Cyrus to leave the library." says Darlene.
"Cy isn't gonna be happy tomorrow." says Conrad.
"When is he happy?" asks Darlene.
"Darlene, could you knock off early again tomorrow?" asks Conrad.
"You are not throwing another party for me, are you, my brother?" asks Darlene.
"Of course not. I just want you to enjoy your birthday." says Conrad.
"I enjoy it enough, my brother." says Darlene.
"Do it for me, Darlene." says Conrad.
"Alright, if it will help you, my brother." says Darlene.
The next day, Cy makes his way back to work, where Conrad is sitting in the green room. Conrad looks at the muttering Cy as he walks in.
"I can't believe that Darlene!" says Cy.
"What's wrong with my sister this time?" queries Conrad
"Darlene! She tells me what to do because I'm some toy to her." says Cy.
"She believes in the rules, Cy." says Conrad.
"I know, but she doesn't have to do it all the time." says Cy.
"You can't blame her, Cy." says Conrad.
"Of course not. It amazes me how a person can turn into a iceberg, frozen solid." says Cy.
"Don't you start on my sister, it's her birthday today." says Conrad.
"Thanks for reminding me. 30 years on this globe and nary a friend to help you in the birthday count." says Cy.
"Don't forget about the party today." says Conrad.
"You can forget about me being there today." says Cy.
"You gotta be there for Darlene." says Conrad.
"Not after what she did to me yesterday." says Cy.
"Remember, the party is to start at 2:00 pm." says Conrad.
"Isn't that when your sister works?" asks Cy.
"I managed to convince her to knock off work early." says Conrad.
"How did you manage to swing that with the iceberg?" asks Cy.
"I talked her into observing the occasion." says Conrad.
"Without tipping her off?" says Cy.
"I even told her that I wasn't gonna put on a party." says Conrad.
"I'd like to see her actually surprised, even though it won't work." says Cy.
"It will, just wait and see." says Conrad.
"That's what you said last year, and it wasn't true then, and isn't now." says Cy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Next week, Conrad and friends gather for Darlene's 30th birthday party, which starts off bad, as Cy predicted, but it soon makes a turn that changes the lives of those at the party, for better or worse.

Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.

This is the Mutual Broadcasting System.
All rights reserved.
A production of WGN Chicago.

No comments:

Post a Comment