Thursday, July 29, 2010

Episode 39

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "The Melting of the Iceberg", Part 14

Yesterday, Conrad arrived at work and had a brush with the melted Darlene as she left.  After some forcing, Cy told Conrad about what had happened to her and Conrad paniced.  However, Cy manages to calm him down with a promise to meet the melted Darlene at Polly's gig that night.
As we begin, the evening sun is setting and Cy and Thomas have arrived at Cathy's Tavern...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

As the two enter the place, the Friday night crowd are beginning to pour in. The chatter and smoke rise in the air.
"Look at this place. It's nothing but a giant hallway with tables and chairs." says Thomas.
"That's the beauty of this place. It's small and intimate." says Cy.
"Perfect for Polly. Where is the little starlet?" says Thomas.
"I don't know. The stage is bare but no sign of her or Elmer." says Cy.
"They'll show up. Meanwhile, let us take a seat." says Cy, leading Thomas to the back of the place. On the way, they pass a bare spot between the two halves of the tavern.
"This here is the stage." says Cy.
"This small space?" asks Thomas.
"We don't need much on this one, just enough room for three musicians." says Cy.
"That's true." says Thomas.
"And here is where you'll be sitting." says Cy, reaching a large table in the back of the tavern.
"Nice seats." says Thomas.
"Well, we're guests of Polly tonight." says Cy as Thomas takes a chair.
"And her backing band." says Thomas.
"That's right." says Cy as he puts down the urn in the center of the table.
"Have you found a name for it yet?" asks Thomas.
"No, but I'm working on it." says Cy.
"Hewwo, Cy." says Elmer as he enters through the back door of the place.
"Hello, Elmer. Where's the star of the night?" says Cy.
"She'ww be hewe in a minute." says Elmer.
"Have you found a name for you two as a backing group?" asks Thomas.
"Not weawwy." says Elmer.
"Where's the equipment?" asks Cy.
"It's in my twuck. Wouwd you hewp me get it?" says Elmer.
"Sure, I'll help." says Cy, who then follows Elmer out the back door.
As Thomas continues to sit at the table, Darlene enters the tavern. As she looks around, she spies Thomas at the table. Instantly, her eyes light up as she walks over to the table.
"Hello there." says Darlene as she reaches the table.
"Hello. Who might you be?" says Thomas.
"I'm Darlene Harris." says Darlene.
"Oh, Conrad's sister. Well, I'm Thomas Cinder." says Thomas.
"Oh, Cy's boarder. Nice to meet you." says Darlene.
"Pleasure's all mine. So, you used to be a human iceberg?" says Thomas.
"I guess Cy has mentioned me." says Darlene.
"A little." says Thomas.
"Say, where is he?" asks Darlene.
"With Elmer." says Thomas.
Just then, Cy and Elmer are bringing in the equipment they'll be using, following by Polly, carrying a guitar case and a bag.
"Nice to see you finally arrive at last, but what's with the bag?" says Cy.
"That's for me to know and for you to find out." says Polly, who then retreats into the girls restroom.
"This is great equipment. Where did you get it?" says Cy.
"I know a guy." says Elmer.
"You're a fiddler, not a guitarist." says Cy.
"I fowget about that." says Elmer.
"I can't believe the set-up here. Me and Polly will both get stools to sit on during the performance, and you have to stand." says Cy.
"Weww, I pwefew to stand. It awwows me to pway bettew." says Elmer.
"To each their own, I say." says Cy.
"Hey there, Cy!" says Darlene.
"I see you're here, Darlene." says Cy as he and Elmer arrive at the table.
"Would I miss Polly's first public performance?" asks Darlene.
"I guess no one is." says Cy as he and Elmer then move over to the performance area.
"Put it down hewe." says Elmer, who then, along with Cy, puts down two amps with cords.
"I guess I'd better get the stools." says Cy, making his way to the back door.
"I'ww get the mike stands." says Elmer, following behind.
"Gee, sounds like that Cy and Elmer are ready." says Darlene.
"I heard them rehearse and they sound great." says Thomas.
"Knowing you, you got a usual taste of Polly." says Darlene.
"I've never regretting hearing her voice and it was nice to hear again during the rehearsal." says Thomas.
"I can see Cy's guest of honor." says Darlene, pointing at the urn.
"Yep, he brought her down here in his arms." says Thomas.
"You know, Cy gets his love of country music from his mother." says Darlene.
"He's never really mentioned that." says Thomas.
"Yep, she was a fan of the honky-tonk sound that she passed on to her son." says Darlene.
"How do you know so much about Cy?" asks Thomas.
"After I melted, I spent a night here at the tavern and he told me a lot about her." says Darlene.
"Knowing Cy, he probably told you before." says Thomas.
"I know, but I wasn't listening." says Darlene.
"Well, I guess you listened the last time." says Thomas.
"That I did." says Darlene.
"Hello, you guys." says Joanne as she arrives at the table.
"Hello, Joanne, my new best buddy. Me and Thomas here were talking about Cy and his mother." says Darlene.
"It's hard to go a day without Cy relaying a story about her." says Joanne.
"He's very proud of her." says Darlene.
"I bet you're proud of being a librarian." says Joanne.
"That I am. It's a very interesting world." says Darlene.
"I never knew the world of a librarian was so interesting." says Joanne.
"Oh, it is. Today, some kid bumped into me and I actually let it go." says Darlene.
"How's that interesting?" asks Joanne.
"Because when I picked up one of the books, I started to read it and I was amazing. I had never read anything like that in my life." says Darlene.
"That is interesting. Did that book ever get back on the shelf?" says Joanne.
"What shelf?" says Darlene before breaking out in laughter, with Joanne following along.
"Hi, guys." says Phil as he pulls up to the table.
"Hello, Phil." says Darlene.
"Can I have a seat?" asks Phil.
"Please do." says Darlene.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Tomorrow, Polly takes the stage, no matter how small it is, and, as Cy would say, a star, no matter how small, is born.

Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.

A production of WGN Chicago.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment