Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Episode 33

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "The Melting of the Iceberg", Part 8

Yesterday, Conrad, in trying to smooth over things at the birthday party he was holding for his sister Darlene's 30th birthday, ordered her and Cy to cease their arguement.  However, Cy and Darlene continue anyway, with Cy daring Darlene to drink his usual present to her: a bottle of whiskey.  She then downed the whole thing, which causes her to faint onto the floor and Conrad to leave in disgust over Cy's actions...

---------------------------------------------------------------------

"I've never seen Conrad like that before." says Phil.
"Well, he's never seen his sister in this shape before." says Cy.
"You mind if I leave?" asks Phil.
"You mad at me, too?" asks Cy.
"No. I have a date with Officer Grace tonight." says Phil.
"A second date. She must really be for you." says Cy.
"I'd like to think so." says Phil.
"I release from your duties. See you at work tomorrow." says Cy.
"Thanks." says Phil, who then departs.
"You got anything else to do tonight?" asks Cy.
"No, not a thing." says Joanne.
"Then help me get Darlene to her bed." says Cy.
"Gladly." says Joanne, who then grabs Darlene's legs as Cy grabs her head and they pick her up off the ground.
"I never knew how heavy she was. Of course, there's all that ice." says Cy.
"I thought ice was light." says Joanne.
"When it's in water. On land, remember, this whole state was flatten by a sheet of it." says Cy.
"I forget that." says Joanne.
"There's the bed. Be careful." says Cy as they reach Darlene's sofa.
"Ready, one, two, three." says Joanne, who then, along with Cy, puts Darlene on the sofa.
"Now we wait." says Cy.
"I guess it will be interesting." says Joanne.
"Last week, you had no idea what goes on in this town." says Cy.
"I think I will stay with you." says Joanne.
"Is that a promise?" asks Cy as he nears the door.
"Where are you going?" asks Joanne.
"To wait my own way." says Cy.
"I'll alert you when Darlene revives." says Joanne.
"I can trust you." says Cy, who then leaves the room.
Three hours pass by as Joanne and Cy await for Darlene to return to consciousness. At 5:30 pm, Cy returns to the living room with a plate of food in his hand.
"Hello, Cy." says Joanne, staring at Darlene's body.
"Hello, Joanne." says Cy, with a mouth full of food.
"What are you doing?" asks Joanne.
"Eating dinner." says Cy, swallowing.
"You're suppose to be a guest." says Joanne.
"I am a guest. I'm eating what I found in Darlene's fridge." says Cy.
"I don't think you're supposed to do that." says Joanne.
"Why not? I found that this food is very good. I can't believe that in five years, Darlene has never invited me or anyone else to a dinner party." says Cy.
"If Darlene regains consciousness with you eating, I hope you can explain yourself." says Joanne.
"Even if I saved you a little to eat as I relive you and allow you to eat dinner while I watch Darlene?" asks Cy.
"Does this count as a date?" asks Joanne.
"Two people, who happened to be in a relationship, sharing the food out of someone else's fridge?" asks Cy.
"I guess it wouldn't hurt." says Joanne.
Just then, Darlene stirs for the first time in hours. Her eyes slowly pop open as Cy and Joanne look on. With her eyes, she soon stares at the ceiling.
"I guess Darlene's alive and well." says Cy.
"Now Conrad can calm down." says Joanne.
"Hello, you two." says Darlene as her eyes lock on the duo.
"Nice to see you awake." says Cy.
"It's nice to be awake at last." says Darlene as she raises herself off the sofa.
"If you're wondering where the party guests are, they went home." says Cy.
"That's helpful, Cy." says Darlene as she gets off the sofa.
"Did she just call you 'Cy'?'" asks Joanne.
"I think she did." says Cy.
"So, Conrad and Phil went home?" asks Darlene as she walks over to a mirror.
"And she called Conrad by his first name." says Joanne.
"She's creeping me out a bit, I mean more than usual." says Cy.
"Look at this hair style. Why would I ruin such great hair?" says Darlene as she looks at herself in the mirror.
"It's what you prefer." says Cy.
"Well, I don't like it." says Darlene, who then loosens the bun and lets her hair fall down.
"What's happened to you?" asks Cy.
"I don't know." says Darlene as she plays with her hair.
"Me, neither." says Cy.
"Then we'll share it." says Darlene as she undoes the top button on her shirt and breathes.
"Feel better?" asks Cy.
"Cy, I'm sorry for what I said earlier. I think your mother's great." says Darlene.
"Joanne, something's wrong with Darlene." says Cy.
"Well, she's seems nice." says Joanne.
"That's the point. She's never been nice to anyone." says Cy.
"Are you two gonna keep talking to yourselves or are you gonna let me in?" asks Darlene as she walks up to the duo.
"Maybe, if you promise to tell us what's going on." says Cy.
"Something that I can't put my finger on." says Darlene.
"She didn't act like this before." says Joanne.
"You mean her usual... frozen self?" says Cy.
"What is it, Cy?" asks Joanne.
"Joanne, I believe that the impossible has happened at last." says Cy.
"What has happened?" asks Joanne.
"The iceberg has finally melted!" shouts Cy.
"Is that it?" asks Darlene.
"Your icy core has turned into water, warm water." says Cy.
"I do feel warm and friendly." says Darlene.
"Of course you do. The ice has melted." says Cy.
"You've been re-born, so to speak." says Joanne.
"I have been re-born. A new Darlene." says Darlene.
"What shall we do?" asks Cy.
"Let's go out on the town to celebrate." says Darlene.
"I guess so." says Cy.
"Can you believe it?" asks Joanne.
"I can't believe it. One bottle of Jack Daniels and it causes the iceberg to melt and the human being to emerge." says Cy.
"Almost like a miracle." says Joanne.
"Your people believe in them." says Cy.
"But not in this way." says Joanne.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Tomorrow, Cy and Joanne follow Darlene to celebrate her re-birth and Cy tells Phil, but not Conrad, about what has happened.

Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.

A production of WGN Chicago.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment