Monday, July 26, 2010

Episode 36

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "The Melting of the Iceberg", Part 11

Last week, we saw the 30th birthday party of Conrad's sister Darlene unfold with the usual results, except for one.  After a sharp barb about his mother, Cy dared Darlene to down his usual birthday gift, a bottle of whiskey.  After drinking the whole thing, she falls unconscious.  Believing Cy has harmed his sister, he leaves the party.
Soon, after the party ends, Cy and Joanne stand watch over Darlene, waiting for her to wake up, which she does three hours later.  When she does awake, her personality has changed, leaving Cy to conclude that Darlene's icy core has melted.  Darlene then takes Cy and Joanne out to celebrate her re-birth.
The next day, Cy finds Phil in the green room, but not Conrad, who has decided to take the day off.  Cy then tells Phil about what happened.  Curious, Cy takes Phil to the library to meet the melted Darlene.  As we begin this week, Cy and Phil are about to end their visit...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

"I'm amazed at the human Darlene." says Phil.
"Yeah, and if Conrad ever found out how she got that way, he'd actually try to re-freeze her." says Cy.
"I don't think Conrad prefers a human iceberg for a sister." says Phil as he sits down at the table.
"You don't know Conrad. He actually let her stay frozen for as long as he did." says Cy.
"Maybe he'll change his tune at the new, human Darlene." says Phil.
"I know one thing, I think I'll drag myself home. I've got to meet Polly and Elmer at my house so we can bone up for our gig." says Cy.
"Good idea." says Phil as he and Cy get up from the table and walk to the front of the library.
"I wonder how Conrad would take the human Darlene." says Cy.
"You are gonna tell him about it, aren't ya?" asks Phil.
"I think I should let him find out about himself." says Cy as he and Phil reach the reception desk.
"I wonder if that's wise." says Phil.
"Let me make the ideas, Phil." says Cy as he checks the book out.
"Cy, look at this." says Phil, pointing behind him.
Sure enough, in the children's section of the library, sitted in front of a group of kids, is Darlene, reading a story. Cy and Phil walk over to where the kids and Darlene are and listen in.
" ...And the third bowl was just right, so Goldilocks ate it all up." says Darlene as she reads.
"Reading the Three Bears to children. Now, I've seen everything." says Cy.
"She's actually good with kids." says Phil.
"After the ice has melted, of course." says Cy.
"She tried the first bed, and it was too hard. She tried the second bed, but it was too soft." says Darlene.
"But she tried the third bed, and it was just right." says Phil, sitted upon the floor like the rest of the kids.
"What are you doing?" asks Cy.
"Listening, what else?" says Phil.
"You're about 15 years past this." says Cy.
"Sit down." says Phil.
"Oh, why not." says Cy as he takes a spot on the floor.
"Two extra listeners. Now, where was I?" says Darlene as she notices the entry of Cy and Phil.
A couple of hours later, Cy arrives back at his house. As he walks into the house, he spots Polly and Elmer in the living room.
"Good day, guys." says Cy.
"You'we a wittwe wate." says Elmer.
"I'm sorry, but I was held up at the library." says Cy.
"By what?" asks Polly.
"Story time." says Cy.
"Awen't you 27?" asks Elmer.
"The storyteller today is Darlene, Conrad's sister." says Cy.
"The human icebewg?" says Elmer.
"Not anymore. Darlene actually downed my usual birthday gift to her and it melted the ice at last." says Cy.
"Is that true?" asks Thomas as he enters the room.
"Yes, and please come in and sit. I've gotta get my mandolin." says Cy.
"You mean this?" says Thomas as he holds up the case.
"Thank you for getting it for me." says Cy.
"I saw Polly and Elmer enter and they told me why they were here." says Thomas.
"You know, it's not too late to make this a quartet." says Cy.
"No thanks. I'm still so much in awe of Polly's voice that I wouldn't be able to play a single note." says Thomas.
"Anyway, what song is first up on the set-list?" asks Cy as he gets out his mandolin.
"I was thinking of some interesting." says Polly.
"What songs do you know?" asks Elmer.
"Just as many as you and those I don't know I can easily learn." says Cy.
"How about 'You Ain't Goin' Nowhere'?" says Polly.
"Good idea. I think it goes like this." says Cy, who then starts playing the tune on his mandolin.
"I'ww fowwow." says Elmer, who then himself starts in on the tune.
As Polly begins to sing, Thomas takes a seat and listens in.
That night, Cy and Joanne are walking down the street towards Darlene's house.
"So, you say Darlene has changed?" says Joanne.
"Changed is an understatement. The ice has melted and revealed the human underneath. Just you wait until you meet the human Darlene, you will be surprised." says Cy.
"Is it all promises with you, Cy?" asks Joanne.
"This one, I promise wholeheartedly." says Cy.
Cy and Joanne soon reach the house and walk their up to the front door.
"This is it, Cy." says Joanne.
"Don't I know it?" says Cy, who then gives the door a knock.
After a few moments, the door swings open with a swoosh to reveal Darlene, still in the same clothes as earlier.
"Hello there, Cy. Nice to meet you again, Joanne." says Darlene.
"This is the new Darlene?" says Joanne.
"I've been re-born, so to speak." says Cy.
"So I see." says Joanne.
"Coming inside?" asks Darlene.
"Let us do." says Cy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Tomorrow, Cy and Joanne sit down to dinner and learn about a new Darlene, while the morning after finds a thank you in order.

Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.

A production of WGN Chicago.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment