Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Episode 23

Now it's time for another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "The Streets of This Town", Part 11

Yesterday, Phil and Officer Grace made their way out on the town for their date. For that event, they hit Tom's Place for drinks, food, and a good time. During their time at Tom's Place, they were observed by Cy. At the end of their time, the two made their way home and into bed, together. As we begin, the night is passing away...

------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the morning sun rises on Hyperion, Phil and Officer Grace sleep together, dreaming dreams of life together. Phil is the first to stir and he gets out of the bed and puts on a pair of pants. As he does this, Officer Grace stirs and watches.
"Where are you going?" coos Officer Grace.
"Just getting dressed." says Phil as he puts on a shirt.
Down at the police station, Cy walks inside as Polly mops a section of floor and Elmer pulls the bow across the fiddle strings slowly, with Polly doing a bit of harmonizing.
"Don't tell me that you're so good at singing, they gave musical accompaniment to do your job?" asks Cy.
"Elmer here is the newest employee of the Hyperion Police Department." says Polly.
"Another drain on the city's resource." says Cy.
"I am not a dwain on the city's wesouwces." says Elmer.
"That's easy for you to say, and that was irony I just said." says Cy.
"What brings you here, anyway?" asks Polly.
"I came here to bail out Thomas Cinder." says Cy.
"The guy in the jail cell back there?" asks Polly.
"That's him. I'm gonna give him a home." says Cy.
"Since when are you Donald Trump?" asks Polly.
"He's gonna live with me." says Cy.
"A charity case for you, Cy?" asks Polly.
"As much as possible." says Cy.
"I'ww get Chief McIntywe." says Elmer, who puts his fiddle down and runs over to Chief McIntyre's office.
"I hope I have enough to bail him out." says Cy.
"You, with $100,000 in the bank?" asks Polly.
"$102,980 total as of yesterday, and hope to expand if the market trends continue." says Cy.
"Cy, I hear you wish to pay Thomas Cinder's bail." says Chief McIntyre as he walks out of his office with Elmer.
"That's right." says Cy.
"Well, to tell the truth, you can have him for free." says Chief McIntyre.
"How about a bail of $5.00?" asks Cy as he pulls out a five-dollar bill.
"I'll take it, if you wish." says Chief McIntyre.
"My mother told me never get something for nothing, it's not right." says Cy.
"And this is from a man who plays the stock market." says Polly.
"My money's working the same as me, to the same goal." says Cy as he hands over the five-dollar bill.
"I'll go get him." says Chief McIntyre, who then pockets the five and walks back over to the jail cell room.
"I can't bewieve you'we taking him in." says Elmer.
"Didn't someone extend you the same after Katrina?" asks Cy.
"Yeah, but I stiww don't bewieve it." says Elmer.
"Are you the one who paid my bail?" asks Thomas as he exits the jail cell room.
"Yes, I am. Cy Scott's the name." says Cy.
"Nice to meet you." says Thomas as he extends a hand to shake.
"Pleasure's all mine. You'll be living with me, as a boarder." says Cy as he shakes Thomas' hand.
"For how much?" asks Thomas.
"Free. I wish not to trouble you." says Cy.
"You said that your mother... " says Polly before Cy interupts, "My mother also said you can't put a price on charity."
"Let's go home." says Thomas.
"Follow me." says Cy as he and Thomas exits the police station.
"Wow, what a place." says Thomas as he and Cy enter his house.
"Thanks. I make sure to keep things to my taste." says Cy.
"I can live with that." says Thomas.
"Good to know, good to know." says Cy.
Thomas then sees the painting of Cy's mother.
"Who's that lady in the picture?" asks Thomas as he walks up to the picture, hanging over the fireplace.
"That's my mother." says Cy.
"She's looks nice." says Thomas.
"She had to be, she was an actress." says Cy.
"An actress?" says Thomas.
"Her name was Debralee Scott. She worked in television and a few movies. She was on a couple of grounbreakers." says Cy.
"Where is she now?" asks Thomas.
Cy then walks over to the fireplace and picks up an urn from the mantle.
"She's right here." says Cy as he gives him the urn.
"When did she die?" asks Thomas.
"Almost five years ago." says Cy.
Thomas then looks and sees the writing on the urn. First, he sees the name of Cy's mother, under it "April 2, 1953 - April 5, 2005". Then, he sees some more writing.
"'If all my days were hills to climb and circles without reason, if all I was was passing time, my life was just a season.'." reads Thomas.
"My mother's epitaph. I thought it fit her well." says Cy.
"You sure must like your mother." says Thomas.
"Proud is more like it." says Cy.
"I can't even remember mine. She died giving birth to me." says Thomas.
"Sorry to hear that." says Cy.
"It's okay. You can't miss what you never had." says Thomas.
"My mother would have liked you. She always believed in second chances." says Cy.
"Nice to hear that." says Thomas.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tomorrow, Cy continues his tour of Thomas' new home, which features a jam session, and a confession of thanks.

Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.

This is the Mutual Broadcasting System. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment