Friday, October 22, 2010

Episode 100

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you the landmark 100th episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "The Temporary Parent", Part 4

Yesterday, on our 99th episode, Cy, walking his way home, saw someone leave a box outside the police station.  Looking into it, Cy found that the box contained a living baby, left under safe haven laws.  Cy then took the baby inside and all inside are trying to figure out what to do with the foundling.
As we begin the 100th episode, Cy has just an a brainstorm of an idea...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What is it?" asks Officer Grace.

"Someone told me today that they would like to have a child." says Cy.

"Who is it?" asks Officer Grace.

"Conrad's sister Darlene." says Cy.

"Why her?" asks Officer Timmy.

"She told me today that her material instincts have finally kicked in overtime and she wants a child so bad." says Cy.

"Wait a minute, Cy. You wanna give this baby to someone who might not let go of her if someone else adopts her?" says Chief McIntyre.

"Where do you get that idea?" asks Cy.

"You just told us that she wants a child very badly. How do we know that she won't try to keep it?" says Chief McIntyre.

"Maybe you should have Darlene as one of the potential adoptive parents of the baby." says Cy.

"There's a thought. I keep it in mind." says Chief McIntyre.

"Do you also mind if I bring in Darlene for a look-see?" asks Cy.

"I don't mind at all. It'll be nice to see someone get this child on the right track." says Chief McIntyre.

"And then let someone else take over?" asks Officer Timmy.

"Just keep watch." says Chief McIntyre, who then retreats back into his office.

"I'll go get Darlene." says Cy, who then leaves the building.

"Cy's concern over this baby is a little unfounded." says Polly.

"What do you mean?" asks Thomas.

"I mean, he just offered Darlene up as a parent out of the blue when he ran out of us as parents." says Polly.

"So what, Polly?" asks Thomas.

"He should have let the county take the baby in until a parent could have been found for it." says Polly.

"Maybe he has the baby's interests at heart." says Thomas.

"I don't think Cy's being a humanitarian over this child. Cy's gist in this whole thing is tilted somewhat." says Polly.

"Cy's actions seemed normal to me." says Thomas.

"And yet, he seems to want this baby to go home with someone and he didn't even volunteer himself for the job." says Polly.

"According to him, he's got two boarders and a dog in that house of his. Trust me, there's no room for a baby." says Thomas.

"And his father until yesterday." says Polly.

"He was only here for two days." says Thomas.

"And he seems to have stirred Cy somewhat. I mean, if his father hadn't been here yesterday and the day before, you think that Cy would even be behind this baby?" says Polly.

"Maybe you should leave him alone. After all, he's bringing in what he calls a temporary parent to the baby." says Thomas.

"Is it just temporary?" asks Polly, who then moves off.

At the library, Darlene is overseeing those in the children's area. The kids are playing and reading as quietly as most kids are, so there is a slight din to the room. Darlene sighs as she see the children.

Cy then enters the library, walking a little fast. He looks around and makes his way over to where Darlene is. He then tries to speak and can't say a word. He then thinks a little about he is going to say.

"Hello, Cy." says Darlene in a depressed manner, causing Cy to snap out of his thinking.

"Hello, Darlene. See that our conversation didn't help you." says Cy.

"I can't help it. Every time I look at these kids, I just wanna have one of my own. A child to hold and feed and change and all of that." says Darlene.

"Well, I might have an answer to that." says Cy.

"What answer can you give that will help me?" asks Darlene longingly.

"As I was walking home, I saw someone leave something next to the police station. When I checked on it, I found that it was... a baby." says Cy.

"Are you kidding?" asks Darlene.

"You think that I would kid you about that?" says Cy.

"How old is it?" asks Darlene.

"It's a she and she's only a couple hours old. Let me tell you, it's a hard way to enter the world." says Cy.

"Why did you come here and tell me about the baby in the first place?" asks Darlene.

"Because I've decided to make you the baby's temporary parent." says Cy.

"Temporary parent?" asks Darlene.

"Yeah, someone who takes care of a child until real parents can be found for it." says Cy.

"Aren't those called foster parents?" asks Darlene.

"This is different. A foster parent is a real parent, for they adopt the child. A temporary parent is only acting in place of the state until a real home can be found for it, like a 24-hour babysitter." says Cy.

"Like a live-in social worker?" says Darlene.

"That's the idea. If your run as a temporary parent works out, I may popularize the idea." says Cy.

"How long is temporary in my case?" asks Darlene.

"Until someone comes around and adopts the child, althought in your favor, I have asked Chief McIntyre to make you a candidate for adopting the baby." says Darlene.

"And if I lose?" asks Darlene.

"I will have to give up the child to its real parents. Remember, the baby is a loan, not something to keep at this time." says Cy.

"I'll try hard to take care of the baby and hope that my time as a temporary parent will help in my selection as the baby's real parent." says Darlene.

"If no real candidate is approved by the county, the baby will be yours." says Cy.

"That's nice to know." says Darlene.

"The baby is down at the police station now. Would you like to see your temporary daughter?" says Cy.

"I would." says Darlene.

"Shall we leave?" asks Cy as he makes his way to the door.

"Let us do." says Darlene as she follows suit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Next week, we end our tenth serial and begin our 11th serial with Darlene's first day as a temporary parent for Van Buren County and the City of Hyperion, and that, my friends, is quite a mouthful of a title to give someone.
 
Join us, won't you?
Yours truly,
the All-Mighty Executive Producer, Writer, Director, and Creator of The Show,
John Maxwell
 
A production of WGN Chicago.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment