Monday, October 18, 2010

Episode 96

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Only 4 episodes left until the 100th episode!

Today's episode: "The Truck Driving Man", Part 7

Last week, we saw the arrival of Cy's father, long-haul trucker Mitch Jones, in Hyperion.  As Mitch meet Cy's friends, Cy himself proved very cold to his own dad, as memories of the past came back to him and Cy tried to deal with it the best he could.  By the end of the week, we saw Cy take his father on a tour of the town, which ended at Tom's Place.
As we begin this week, we continue as the aftermath of Cy's adventure is still being looked over...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

As Polly, Thomas, and Officer Grace scatter to various parts of the room, Renee and Stacy remain by the desk.

"I can't believe this whole thing is over." says Renee.

"Me, neither." says Stacy.

"I never thought that I would ever see you again." says Stacy.

"Same here." says Renee.

"Aren't you happy about this?" asks Stacy.

"Yes, I am." says Renee.

"The way you're talking to me, it doesn't seem so." says Stacy.

"I am happy." says Renee.

"You really oughta think Cy for getting us back together." says Stacy.

"I didn't ask him to do it." says Renee.

"He didn't have to." says Stacy.

"Did you hear what his father called him? Mac, just like every other New Yorker." says Renee.

"Isn't that his middle name? You told me the name once, Cyrus McLean Scott." says Stacy.

"That may be so." says Renee.

"And it's what truck drivers often refer to each other." says Stacy.

"You have an explanation for everything about him." says Renee.

"Why are you still against him, even after everything he's done?" asks Stacy.

"Because I still think he did this for his own benefit, not ours." says Renee.

"He doesn't strike me as self-centered." says Stacy.

"I told you, he doesn't have pictures of loved ones, only his mother." says Renee.

"Doesn't his mother count as a loved one?" asks Stacy.

"She just raised him." says Renee.

"Doesn't sound like that. She's very important in his life." says Stacy.

"You never even heard of her." says Stacy.

"I went online when Al wasn't looking and I found some info on her." says Stacy.

"And what did you find?" asks Renee.

"She was an actress and she was in a couple of good films." says Stacy.

"That doesn't mean a thing." says Renee.

"I also learned what she was like and she reminds me of you, pretty and tough."

says Stacy.

"She also raised Cy." says Renee.

"Who's a very intelligent person and I don't think Debralee would have accepted anything less from her offspring." says Stacy.

"Cy has a large painting of her above the fireplace and her urn. He's always surrounded by reminders of her." says Renee.

"I think, after seeing Cy in action, the whole world needs reminding and Cy does that well." says Stacy.

"I guess he must be more than the son of Debralee Scott." says Officer Grace, walking over to the desk.

"You've been overhearing our conversation?" asks Renee.

"Yes, and I've heard many opinions on Cy but never self-serving. As you said yourself, Stacy, his mother would not accept anything less than someone who knows right from wrong." says Officer Grace.

"Many people would say what we do together is wrong." says Renee.

"It's not wrong to Cy." says Officer Grace.

"You're right, Officer." says Stacy.

"I'm starting to see your point, but I'll need more." says Renee.

"Just tune a radio to WHYP weekday mornings and you'll get it." says Officer Grace, who then walks away.

"Maybe I should do that sometime." says Renee.

"I'll join you, tomorrow." says Stacy.

"It's a date." says Renee.

Back at Tom's Place, Cy and Mitch continue to sit and drink beer, as Cy continues not to offer much in talking.

"Mac, you haven't said much to me in the last 30 minutes." says Mitch.

"I haven't?" asks Cy.

"There you go again. You know, if you have something to say, say it." says Mitch.

"I don't feel like it." says Cy.

"You must feel like something." says Mitch.

"I feel fine, Dad." says Cy.

"Your feeling has gone down today since this morning." says Mitch.

"How nice of you to notice." says Cy.

"C'mon, Mac. From what I hear, you just had a great adventure. Lighten up." says Mitch.

"Maybe I should." says Cy.

Suddenly, a cell phone on Mitch's belt rings, with a old-fashioned phone ring-type ringtone, rings out.

"Excuse me, Cy." says Mitch as he answers the phone.

"Take all the time you need." says Cy.

After a minute of talking, Mitch hangs up the phone.

"Cy, listen. I've gotta tell you something." says Mitch.

"What is it, Dad?" asks Cy.

"I've just gotten an order to go to Kalamazoo to pick up a shipment and take it to Baton Rouge." says Mitch as he gets up from the bar stool.

"Dad, wait." says Cy as he gets up from his bar stool.

Cy and Mitch make their way out of the place and make their way back to Cy's house.

"Hate to drink and run, Mac, but I must go." says Mitch.

"If you say so." says Cy as he and Mitch reach the driveway.

"Explain to everyone else about my sudden departure." says Mitch.

"I will, Dad." says Cy as they reach the truck.

"I promise to back this way soon, Mac." says Mitch as he gets inside.

"Take your time." says Cy.

"If you say so." says Mitch as he closes the door behind him.

"Goodbye, Dad, again." says Cy as Mitch pulls the truck out of the driveway.

Cy then stares as the truck makes its way down the street, leaving Cy with a misx of emotions as Stacy and Renee make their way up to the house.

"I see Mitch is leaving. Where's he going?" says Renee.

"Off to Kalamazoo, then Baton Rouge, then to parts unknown." says Cy.

"A trucker's life. We didn't even get to say goodbye." says Stacy.

"With him, you never do." says Cy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Tomorrow, we begin our tenth serial of the series with a visit to the local library and the children's reading hour, hosted by.... well, just tune it and find out.
 
Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.
 
A production of WGN Chicago.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment