Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Episode 93

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Only 7 episodes until the 100th episode!

Today's episode: "The Truck Driving Man", Part 4

Yesterday, Thomas and Polly take stock of Cy's adventure to save Stacy as they look upon the cuffed Al, with Thomas coming to Cy's defense for his actions.  Meanwhile, Cy's father Mitch parked his big rig in Cy's driveway as he waited for his son to come home, which he does.  As Cy lets Mitch into his home, he's worried about how his father will take Renee and Stacy.
As we begin, Mitch has met Renee and now, Stacy enters the picture...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The same, once again." says Mitch.

"Let me explain." says Cy.

"Hello, dear sir." says Stacy as she enters the living room.

"Stacy, this man here is Cy's father, Mitch Jones." says Renee.

"Are you the owner of that big rig outside?" asks Stacy.

"That's mine all right." says Mitch.

"A truck driver?" asks Stacy.

"A long-hauler. Been that way since 1970, cruising the highways and the byways of this here great country." says Mitch.

"How interesting." says Stacy.

"Dad, let me tell you." says Cy.

"Is Stacy another boarder?" asks Mitch.

"No, she's... Renee's girlfriend." says Cy.

"In what way?" asks Mitch.

"The romantic way." says Cy.

"Well, that doesn't bother me." says Mitch.

"I thought you would flip your lid." says Cy.

"Have you forgotten what I am? I'm a trucker, and on the road, there is no discrimination, except to the police." says Mitch.

"Then are you in for a surprise when you really meet Phil." says Cy.

"I don't follow you." says Mitch.

"I'll leave it to Phil." says Cy.

"I wanna hear about your time on the road." says Stacy.

"I'll be glad to impart my life to your ears." says Mitch as he makes his way to the dining room, with Stacy and Renee following behind.

The next day, Cy is making his way to the green room. When he arrives, he finds only Conrad, playing a round of pinball.

"Conrad, I need to talk to you." says Cy.

"Please do." says Conrad, still playing.

"My father is making his presence very well-known." says Cy.

"How so?" asks Conrad.

"He met my boarder and her lover." says Cy.

"How'd he take it?" asks Conrad.

"I forgot how open-mined he was. Anyway, he then spent the day telling them about his life on the road." says Cy.

"He is always ready to do that." says Conrad.

"Conrad, I need something to do." says Cy.

"What can you do?" asks Conrad.

"I have no idea." says Cy.

"Me, neither. Why don't we talk about something else?" says Conrad.

"Fine with me." says Cy.

"I wanna talk about Polly's concert last Saturday. It was great." says Conrad.

"Your banjo was superb." says Cy.

"I wonder when the next show is." says Conrad.

"Beats me." says Cy.

"I hope it's soon. I wanna know what else you're gonna put in the band." says Phil as he enters the room.

"Knowing Cy, his mandolin is next." says Conrad.

"That's it. I know what to do." says Cy.

"With what?" asks Phil.

"The time he wants to spend away from his father." says Conrad.

"Remember the reason I put Conrad in the band in the first place?" asks Cy.

"So you could needed to hear a bigger sound." says Conrad.

"Why the bigger sound?" asks Cy.

"Because you wanted to make a demo album." says Conrad.

"And I think it's time we make it." says Cy.

"Check your hairline, Cy." says Conrad.

"Why do you say that?" asks Cy.

"I think you know why." says Conrad.

"It's nothing like that at all." says Cy.

"Why don't you spend more time with your father, Cy?" asks Phil.

"Because those two are estranged." says Conrad.

"Why can't a father and son ever get along?" asks Phil.

"There's nothing wrong between me and my father." says Cy.

"Then spend more time with him." says Conrad.

"I guess I can hold on the demo album until I've increased the sound some more. I'll talk to Tom about a few more Saturday concerts." says Cy.

"Good idea, and you can show your father around Hyperion." says Conrad.

"If you say so." says Cy.

Later that morning, Cy makes his way inside his home. As he does, he hears the sound of Mitch's voice in the dining room, talking to Stacy.

"I was making my way up a steep incline. In those days, the CB was a trucker's best friend, and there had been reports of smokies and traps in the region, so I carefully made my turn as I rounded the corner." says Mitch.

"Hello, dad." says Cy.

"Well, Mac. How was your show?" says Mitch.

"Just another Tuesday on the air." says Cy.

"That's great. I was just telling Stacy here about the time I made my way from Roanoke to Parkersburg." says Mitch.

"That's a great tale. Listen, dad, I decided something." says Cy.

"Well, what is it, Mac?" asks Mitch.

"I've decided that today, I'm gonna take you on a tour of Hyperion." says Cy.

"That's a great idea. I've been waiting for you to do that." says Mitch.

"That's helpful. I've make a statement down at the police station. Someone from Paw Paw." says Stacy.

"Renee's there now." says Mitch.

"Of course. I believe the county is gonna throw their weight at Al." says Cy.

"The things he did to me and to others." says Stacy.

"Let me take you downtown, then I'll take dad on the tour." says Cy.

"Good idea." says Mitch.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Tomorrow, Mitch has his tour of the downtown area, including a stop at the police station and a drink at Tom's Place.  What a tour!
 
Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.
 
A production of WGN Chicago.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment