Thursday, October 28, 2010

Episode 104

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "Why Not Your Baby", Part 2

Yesterday, we began our 11th serial of the series with Darlene taking the baby to her living space in the house: the attic.  Meanwhile, Conrad has been voicing his opinion on the whole temporary parent issue, mostly in his usual negative tone. 
As he begin today, Cy and Conrad are about to enter Darlene's room...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cy and Conrad enter Darlene's attic loft of a room and Cy is taken in by the furnished trapping of the room itself. The room is filled with a writing desk, a brass bed, a table, and some chairs.

"This room is fit to live in." says Cy.

"It was my sister's choice to live here." says Conrad.

"Back when she was a human iceberg and needed a place to remain frozen. A cold attic is the right place." says Cy.

"I've made a few changes since then." says Darlene as she takes the sleeping baby out of the box.

"I can see them. Attempts to warm the place up, so to speak." says Cy, looking around.

"How are you gonna raise a baby up here?" asks Conrad.

"I'll figure that out." says Darlene.

"This is one big learning experience. I hope you're ready for it." says Cy.

"I know I am." says Darlene.

"That baby hasn't uttered a word since she was found." says Cy.

"Maybe it's dead." says Conrad.

"No, babies are well-known for being sound sleepers. They can sleep for up to 20 hours, which is why they keep their parents up for the same amount of time when they're awake." says Cy.

"Wonderful observation." says Darlene.

"I know it is." says Cy as he sits down at the writing desk.

"How long will this baby stay here?" asks Conrad.

"Just until a permanant home can be found." says Cy.

"You know, I'm getting tired of hearing this child not being refer to by name." says Darlene.

"That's because she doesn't have one." says Cy.

"She needs one." says Darlene.

"Shouldn't the real parents name the baby?" asks Conrad.

"I'm making up the role of temporary parent as I go along and I think the temporary parent should use a placeholder name until adoption." says Cy.

"So, what kind of name should we use?" asks Darlene.

"Names are very important. They reflect something about a person." says Cy.

"Is that so, Cyrus McLean Scott?" asks Conrad.

"Any ideas, Conrad Phillip Harris?" asks Cy.

"None comes to mind." says Conrad.

"It should be a girl's name. I think I have an idea." says Cy.

"We're not naming this baby after your mother, Cy." says Conrad.

"Why not? My mother was very proud of her moniker, for she was the only one to have it." says Cy.

"How did she get that name, Cy?" asks Darlene.

"If I remember, and seeing how you've forgotten since I rarely tell it, it was my grandfather who gave her that name." says Cy.

"How did he do that?" asks Darlene.

"Well, as I recall, one suggestion was Debra and another was Lee. Both are perfectly valid names and both were tied for the baby's name. My grandfather, always inventive, just combined the two and made the name Debralee." says Cy.

"A wonderful story." says Conrad with a sneer.

"At least it's a true story." says Cy.

"Baby Debralee." says Darlene.

"That's what my grandmother said when my grandfather first said it, only as a question of his sanity." says Cy.

"No, that's the name I give this child." says Darlene.

"Once again, a Debralee has entered the world." says Cy.

"But only temporary, remember?" says Conrad.

"I know that. I'm glad someone took it. I've passed that as a baby name suggestion for five years of writing to old friends, who have their own broods, with not a member sharing that name." says Cy.

"Baby Debralee, welcome to the world." says Darlene as the baby finally awakens in her arms.

"Look, she likes that name." says Cy.

"She's also awake." says Darlene.

"I noticed." says Cy.

"She hasn't utter a cry yet." says Conrad.

"She's happy to see me." says Darlene.

"If we're lucky, she'll always think of you as her mother and forget what has happened until now." says Cy.

"I'm your mama, little Debralee." says Darlene.

"That name still rings sweet in my ears." says Cy.

"Now, how are we gonna tell the both of them apart, Cy?" asks Conrad.

"Who cares? Darlene's a mother now." says Cy.

"She's a temporary mother and who knows what's gonna happen tomorrow?" says Conrad.

"A dark streak has entered your mind and making everything you say negative." says Cy.

"Quiet. Don't disturb the baby." says Darlene.

Taking a hint, Cy and Conrad make their leave of the attic and close the door behind them as they walk down the stairs to the second floor.

"Now that we're outta earshot, now maybe you can get what's off your chest." says Cy.

"What's on my chest is this whole Darlene as a temporary parent thing." says Conrad.

"What about this is eating you?" asks Cy.

"The fact that if someone other than her adopts that baby, the effects on her mind will be terrible." says Conrad.

"I'm sure Darlene will pass with flying colors." says Cy.

"What makes you so sure?" asks Conrad.

"I'm betting on certain things." says Cy.

"What things?" asks Conrad.

"Let's just leave it at that." says Cy, who then walks away and down the stairs and out of the house, leaving Conrad to think over what has been said.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Tomorrow, we end the week with a trip to WHYP, where Cy delivers a lesson in radio to young intern Phil, while Conrad offers only more opinions on things.
 
Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.
 
A production of WGN Chicago.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment