Friday, October 1, 2010

Episode 85

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "An Act of Love", Part 4

Yesterday, Cy confronted his boarder Renee about her relationship with Stacy, and reveals the existance of Stacy's would-be boyfriend Al, who chased Renee away and abuses Stacy for not loving him.  Cy tried to give his best comfort to Renee by pointing out that Al and him are different, despite being from the same place, but Renee doesn't believe him.
As we begin, Saturday has arrived in Hyperion...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday night rolls around and down at Tom's Place, the Saturday night crowd is beginning to pour in as Polly and the Sidewinders set up on the stage. Cy himself is busy helping Conrad set up his banjo.

"Are you sure you want me to play?" asks Conrad.

"I wanna hear this sound in front of an audience." says Cy.

"How big a sound do you want?" asks Conrad.

"Big enough to put on record." says Cy.

"Well, how big is that?" asks Conrad.

"I'll decide." says Cy.

"You know, during rehearsal yesterday, I began to notice something about all this." says Conrad.

"What did you notice?" asks Cy.

"If I were you, I'd check my hairline." says Conrad.

"I think I see Thomas. Gotta go." says Cy, walking away.

"I hope I'm good enough." says Conrad.

"Hello, Thomas." says Cy as he walks up to Thomas' table.

"Hello, Cy." says Thomas, taking a sip from a bottle.

"How's life with Mary Hartman?" asks Cy.

"I don't know how to tell you." says Thomas.

"Tell me anyway. I'll get it no matter how you put it." says Cy.

"It's been a little below how I like to live." says Thomas.

"Do go on." says Cy.

"First, my diet is nothing but fruits and veggies. Second, I found that she likes to sleep in the nude." says Thomas.

"That's something that the other Mary never really done." says Cy.

"Well, it's been gettting to me. I think I've spent every night here drinking my cares away." says Thomas.

"Careful, Thomas. We don't wanna lose the use of our liver." says Cy.

"Can I move back in?" asks Thomas.

"Sorry. When you left, I opened my house to boarders and I have one." says Cy.

"How's that working out for you?" asks Thomas.

"Ask me later." says Cy, who then walks back to the stage.

"I saw you talked to Thomas. I hope he's taking life with his mother well." says Polly, setting up a microphone.

"As well as he can do." says Cy.

"That's good to hear." says Polly.

"Meanwhile, I have a problem that needs fixing." says Cy.

"Not your boarder again." says Polly.

"I confronted her about what was going on and she told me about this guy named Al, who's a boyfiend to Stacy and has threaten to kill Renee if he sees her with Stacy again." says Cy.

"Even I don't agree with that." says Polly.

"Which part, I ask you?" asks Cy.

"The killing. Killing is a sin." says Polly.

"But which sin is the worse one? That way, I can please my client." says Cy.

"Sins are all equal." says Polly.

"Are you sure about that, Polly?" asks the voice of Joanne, behind Cy.

"Hello, Joanne. How much of my problem did you hear?" says Cy.

"Just enough." says Joanne.

"If you have any idea, please tell me." says Cy.

"I trust that you'll find a way." says Joanne.

"I don't know why he should help those two commit a sin." says Polly.

"I must tell you, it's Renee's birthday on Monday and I'm trying to figure out a way to bring them together on that day." says Cy.

"Why on Earth for?" asks Polly.

"Because no one should spend a birthday alone." says Cy.

"Any part of your mother in this?" asks Joanne.

"She always made sure never to be alone on her birthday, all 52 of them." says Cy.

"I still think what you're doing is wrong." says Polly.

"I can't change your beliefs, but I think I can change your mind." says Cy.

"You can't even change that." says Polly.

"I wish I could bring those two together without earning the wrath of that Al character. He sounds like he means everything he says." says Cy.

"Maybe you can fight him, because you can lie." says Joanne.

"It's called acting and maybe you have something there, Joanne." says Cy.

"What idea is forming in your head?" asks Joanne.

"I think I can fight Al and free Stacy from his grasp. Then, she and Renee would be free to be in love for the rest of their lives." says Cy.

"You can't fight anyone." says Polly.

"Are you saying I'm weak?" asks Cy.

"No. I'm just saying that you would lose against someone like him." says Polly.

"I'll fight and I'll win. I know how to beat him." says Cy.

"Can I join you?" asks Joanne.

"No, it's too dangerous. Al has bodyguards and I don't wanna risk a hostage situation." says Cy.

"I can defend myself against those fools." says Joanne.

"I can't take the chance. I must go it alone." says Cy.

"Whatever you say, Cy." says Joanne.

"Time to begin." says Cy.

"Luck, Polly." says Joanne as she leaves the stage.

"Good evening, people," says Cy as he walks up to the microphone, "Ladies and gentlemen, Tom's Place, with the help of the management and certain parties, have managed to bring back the sensation that sweeping Hyperion. Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome Miss Polly McIntyre!"

As Cy runs off the stage, the Sidewinders and Conrad launch into a song, with the help of Polly's guitar. Polly then walks up to the microphone and starts singing up a song.

"Polly's gonna do well." says Joanne as Cy arrives at her table.

"I'll keep my eye on Conrad, see if he can keep up." says Cy.

"He's doing well. By the way, when are you gonna fight Al?" says Joanne.

"Tomorrow night." says Cy.

"You seem so sure." says Joanne.

"I must be a better actor than I thought." says Cy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Next week, the adventure of a lifetime decends on Cy, who receives an unexpected companion for the adventure, who gets Cy to speak his piece on a subject he's been avoiding.  Sounds exciting, doesn't it?
 
Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.
 
A production of WGN Chicago.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment