Thursday, September 30, 2010

Episode 84

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "An Act of Love", Part 3

Yesterday, Cy and company joined Polly and the Sidewinders for their all-day rehearsal for Polly's upcoming gig at Tom's Place.  Cy managed to tell Polly about his discovery about Renee.  Polly, as a typical Christian, said the usual things about homosexuals, with Cy countering that Renee and Stacy are in love, which is no sin.  Cy then said that he was forming a plan to help Renee.
As we begin, the day has again passed from Hyperion...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

That night, Cy lays in his easy chair, half asleep waiting to see if Renee sneaks out again. Sure enough, around midnight, Cy hears the closing of the bedroom door. He then sees the outline of Renee sneaking out of the front door. Around 3:00 am, Renee sneaks back into the house.

"Hello, lady." says a gruff voice in the darkness.

"Mr. Burroughs?" says Renee.

"Otherwise known as Cy Scott." says Cy as he turns on a light.

"I had a feeling that was you." says Renee.

"Now, you know, and now I know." says Cy.

"You're the kind of guy I thought you were." says Renee.

"My mother was an actress. That alone should have triggered any thought that she might have passed her talent down to me." says Cy.

"The way you act, I thought you might not use it." says Renee.

"You're right, I don't. My mother told me never to follow in her footsteps." says Cy.

"Hardly a redeeming quality in a New Yorker." says Renee.

"I haven't lived in New York since March of 2005, and that's a long time ago." says Cy.

"Do you ever plan on going back?" asks Renee.

"Sometimes." says Cy.

"New Yorker!" says Renee.

"Watch it. Don't wake up Liberty." says Cy, pointing to the dog, sleeping by the easy chair.

"You care more about that dog than me." says Renee.

"I care about you as a person." says Cy.

"You know what I am." says Renee.

"And I accept you regardless, and I wanna help you." says Cy.

"Why do you wanna help me?" asks Renee.

"Because I help other people, no matter who they are." says Cy.

"You don't wanna help me as a person." says Renee.

"You are a person, no matter what some people say." says Cy.

"How can you help me?" asks Renee.

"How about telling me what's causing you to awaken me in interesting fashions?" asks Cy.

"Because you're a New Yorker." says Renee.

"And that means that one is very responsible for your pain." says Cy.

"His name is Al and he's Stacy's boyfriend." says Renee.

"Does she go both ways?" asks Cy.

"She used to, until Al showed his New York colors." says Renee.

"What do you mean?" asks Cy.

"Me and Stacy used to go together. We were in love. Then, Al came in and threaten me to no end. Then, he told me to get out or he'll kill me." says Renee, breaking into tears.

"He sounds very mean." says Cy.

"And you're a New Yorker, just like him." says Renee.

"Don't put every New Yorker in the same pile. I live there for 15 years and I found every type of person there." says Cy.

"There's no difference." says Renee.

"There is every bit of difference." says Cy.

"You're lying, like the New Yorker you are." says Renee.

"I didn't lie about my mother. I would never do that." says Cy.

"Your devotion to your mother knows no bounds, it seems." says Renee.

"She taught to think of others first, and I always do." says Cy.

"Then where are the pictures of loved ones?" asks Renee.

"Because I don't have any right now." says Cy.

"You have that silly Joanne." says Renee.

"I haven't gotten around to her picture yet." says Cy.

"Stop lying. All you New Yorkers are alike." says Renee.

"In my life, I've never seen a city with more differences than New York." says Cy.

"Liar! You're nothing but a self-centered liar who uses his mother to hide his true feelings." says Renee.

"Trust me when I say, I'm nothing like that, and by the way, don't ever drag my mother down. She raised me for twenty-one years the best she could and you have no idea what she was like." says Cy.

"Maybe you're right about your mother, but I'm right about you." says Cy.

"The same goes for me. You have no idea who I am." says Renee.

"I have every idea who you are." says Renee.

"Just trust me." says Cy.

"It's hard to trust you." says Renee.

"Because of Al?" asks Cy.

"He just abuses Stacy. She's a sack of nothing in his eyes." says Renee.

"Well, it's not like Al has made good on his promise." says Cy.

"Tonight, he came in to find Stacy and found us two together." says Renee.

"Well, he's an abuser. He needs his victim." says Cy.

"He took out a gun tonight and promised to shoot me if he found us together again." says Renee.

"From the way he sounds to me, I don't doubt he'd pull the trigger without a second thought." says Cy.

"The two of us were planning my birthday when he found us." says Renee.

"Your birthday?" asks Cy.

"This Monday. I turn 24." says Renee.

"Birthdays to some people are very important." says Cy.

"Why does he do that?" asks Renee.

"Do what?" asks Cy.

"Abuse the people they love." says Renee.

"There is no reason to abuse anyone. It's an illogical thing that needs getting rid of." says Cy.

"And why does he go after me?" asks Renee.

"Because an abuser, when they select their target, always look out for things that would interupt the abuse. A guy like him is surrounded by thugs as a means of protecting himself." says Cy.

"You're right. Three guys act as his bodyguards." says Renee.

"He's probably has given them the same command he gave you." says Cy.

"And there's no way I'll see Stacy again." says Renee, who then runs away to her room, sobbing.

"Not if I can help it." says Cy to himself.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Tomorrow, Polly has her gig, a plan moves forward, and a relationship takes a sharp turn into an area it needs to go.
 
Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.
 
A production of WGN Chicago.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment