Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Episode 73

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "Out With The Old", Part 6

Yesterday, Thomas finally moved into Mary's apartment to live together as mother and son.  However, things got off on the wrong foot as Thomas has to wait for Mary to stop meditating for a proper greeting.  Meanwhile, Cy finally told Conrad and Phil what idea he had earlier.  As we begin, he has told them that he is opening his home to boarders...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

"Have you lost your mind, Cy?" asks Conrad as he ends another game.

"No, I have not, Conrad." says Cy.

"But this sounds crazy." says Conrad.

"Just because something sounds crazy doesn't mean it is." says Cy.

"What's that suppose to mean?" asks Conrad.

"I mean, just because you wish your sister to remain frozen doesn't mean it's a crazy idea." says Cy.

"I know you don't mean that." says Conrad.

"How can I be sure of your sanity?" asks Cy.

"What makes you think I'm insane?" asks Conrad.

"I think you know already." says Cy.

"Yeah, and it's driving me nuts." says Conrad.

"See, you admit it." says Cy.

"Cy, can we get back to your idea?" asks Phil.

"Yes. As I was saying, I've decided to rent out the bedroom to boarders, in the same manner as I did to Thomas." says Cy.

"I don't know about that idea, Cy." says Phil.

"I do, Phil. It's Cy's attempt to end his loneliness." says Conrad.

"It's nothing like that. I just feel like I need to do this." says Cy.

"I know why you're doing, so drop it." says Conrad.

"How much are you charging for rent?" asks Phil.

"The same rate I charged Thomas." says Cy.

"But he didn't pay any rent." says Phil.

"And that's the brilliant part of my idea. I'm gonna rent out the room for free." says Cy.

"And that proves that this is nothing but an attempt to end your loneliness." says Conrad.

"Conrad, you must be pretty lonely yourself if you keep pointing that out. Don't you have a sister to help with that?" says Cy.

"I do, but we don't have to be together always." says Conrad.

"You're so much for Darlene to re-freeze that you've actually broken contact with her?" asks Cy.

"I have not broken contact." says Conrad.

"Then talk to her like the human being she is now." says Cy.

"I can't do that, not without thinking about the past." says Conrad.

"Then forget the past." says Cy.

"If you knew the past, you wouldn't say that." says Conrad.

"I've been wanting to know but you haven't been forthcoming with that information." says Cy.

"Because it's none of your business." says Conrad.

"So you'll just fight against this without giving me your side of the battle." says Cy.

"Guys, can't you go one morning with attacking each other?" asks Phil.

"I'm beginning to wonder that myself." says Cy.

Later that morning, Conrad makes his way over to the library. As he walks inside, he spies Darlene gathering some books off one of the reading tables. He then walks over to where she is as she begins walking away from the table.

"Darlene, I have to talk to you." says Conrad.

"Again? Can't you be silent on your own time?" asks Darlene.

"I must talk to you about Cy." says Conrad.

"A nice change of pace." says Darlene as she and Conrad arrive at the front desk.

"I'm beginning to think that he's losing his mind." says Conrad.

"Just because of what's happened to me?" asks Darlene.

"No, because of what's come up with today." says Conrad.

"What has he come up with?" asks Darlene.

"He's decided to rent out his bedroom to boarders for free." says Conrad.

"That is a little weird." says Darlene.

"I know that, Darlene." says Conrad.

"Well, maybe he's just trying something out." says Darlene.

"You don't understand, Darlene. The reason Cy's doing this is that people keep leaving him." says Conrad.

"What do you mean?" asks Darlene.

"First his father was never around long enough, so he was practically gone. Then, his mother's finacee died, his mother died, and now Thomas has moved out. Face it, people do have a habit of leaving him." says Conrad.

"You're still here." says Darlene.

"That's not the point. The point is that Cy's been alone for the past five years and that Thomas' departure compels him to do this stupid plan to get out of being lonely." says Conrad.

"Is that what you think, Conrad?" asks the voice of Cy, behind Conrad.

"I didn't see you back there, Cy." says Conrad, turning around.

"I saw you come here and I thought I should see how you're contacting Darlene today." says Cy.

"He's not doing a good job of it." says Darlene.

"Don't you have anything else to do?" asks Conrad.

"Not really." says Cy.

"Cy, why don't just admit it?" asks Conrad.

"This is not to get out of loneliness. It's just that I enjoyed having a boarder and I feel I should have another one." says Cy.

"I'm the only one who can see through that." says Conrad.

"See what you want, Conrad. My idea is sound." says Cy.

"Like your idea to have my sister drink an entire bottle of whiskey?" asks Conrad.

"I only said drink from the bottle. I didn't tell her to drink the whole thing." says Cy.

"But it was your idea!" says Conrad.

"Guys, this is a library." says Darlene.

"Keep it up, Cy, or I'll leave you, too." says Conrad.

"I'm not afraid of that, so find something else." says Cy.

"When do you expect your first applicants?" asks Darlene.

"I called it in yesterday and they put it in today's paper, so I think tomorrow." says Cy.

"I wonder who will answer it?" asks Darlene.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Tomorrow, the sixth serial of the series comes to a swift end as the fallout from Thomas' decision to move in with Mary finally hits him square.
 
Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.
 
A production of WGN Chicago.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment