Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Episode 72

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "Out With The Old", Part 5

Yesterday, Cy shared Mary's decision to allow her son Thomas to move in with her with Conrad and Phil, who reminded Cy again of his upcoming return to loneliness.  Thomas then packed up his stuff and moved out, leaving Cy alone, who then got an idea.
As we begin, we check in on Thomas...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Some time later, Thomas makes his way inside the Baker Street Apartments. As he walks inside, he stops and looks around at his new home. He then continues forwards and makes his way to the door of Apartment B. Thomas waits a minute before giving the door a knock.

"Come in." says Mary's voice from within.

Thomas then opens the door and walks inside. There, he finds Mary, sitting on the floor, meditating peacefully.

"Good morning, mom." says Thomas.

"Quiet. Put your stuff down and remain silent as I meditate." says Mary.

"If you say so." says Thomas.

"Quiet." says Mary as Thomas moves around the apartment, trying to put his stuff down.

"I can't seem to find a place." says Thomas.

"Just put it down." says Mary.

"Okay." says Thomas.

Thomas then does so and proceeds to find a place to sit down. He finds a place at the dining table. He then stares at Mary as she meditates.

Two hours later, Thomas remains sitted as Mary stirs from her meditation and gets up off the room. She then walks over to the dining table, where Thomas is fallen asleep from waiting.

"Wake up, Thomas." says Mary.

"What?" says Thomas as he awakens.

"I'm here." says Mary.

"Finally came back to planet Earth at last?" asks Thomas.

"Don't get it wrong. Meditation isn't anything like that." says Mary.

"I don't know anything about that." says Thomas.

"Maybe I could teach you about it." says Mary.

"I don't think I should." says Thomas.

"Your father didn't want to learn either, and that's one of the reason I left him." says Mary.

"I'm not like my father." says Thomas.

"It's true, and I know it, for you're my son." says Mary.

"Last week, I thought I was no one's son." says Thomas.

"Now that has changed and if we are to live together, I think we should learn together." says Mary.

"Learn what?" asks Thomas.

"Whatever we can together." says Mary.

"I wonder what we could learn." says Thomas.

"I ask myself the same question and I hope together we will find the answer." says Mary.

"Is that what you did during your meditation?" asks Thomas.

"Did what?" asks Mary.

"Think of all that?" says Thomas.

"As I told you, don't get meditation wrong." says Mary.

"Then why do you do it?" asks Thomas.

"Because it helps one's mind if one explores it without problem." says Mary.

"Isn't that what thinking's for?" asks Thomas.

"Thinking rarely helps in the exploration of one's mind, for it always questions itself. Meditation gets around the questions." says Mary.

"You actually sound like you know what you're doing." says Thomas.

"I do, because I've been meditating since I was born." says Mary.

"How did my father ever put up with you?" asks Thomas.

"I'll tell you later." says Mary.

"You don't expect me to meditate with you?" asks Thomas.

"Not now, but if you ever ask, join me." says Mary.

"I'll take that under consideration." says Thomas.

"Come on, let me show you where you're gonna sleep." says Mary.

"Okay." says Thomas as he gets up from his chair.

"Follow me." says Mary as she makes her way to the bedroom.

Thomas follows Mary to the bedroom, where she stands, pointing to a mat on the floor.

"What are you pointing at?" asks Thomas.

"That's your new bed." says Mary.

"I'm sleeping on the floor?" asks Thomas.

"It's very natural." says Mary.

"I don't know if I wanna sleep on the floor." says Thomas.

"Trust me. If you wanna live here, you have to follow my rules." says Mary.

"I know you're my mother now, because you're talking like one." says Thomas.

"I believe it's time for lunch." says Mary, who then runs out of the bedroom.

"I'm starting to question my judgement here." says Thomas.

The next day, at WHYP, Cy happily makes his way into the green room, where he finds Conrad and Phil in the same places they were yesterday.

"Good morning, Cy." says Phil as he walks over with a cup of coffee.

"Thanks for the coffee." says Cy as he takes the cup.

"Cy, you're happy today." says Conrad, playing away at the pinball machine.

"I am, and do you know why?" asks Cy.

"Please tell me." says Conrad.

"Well, I was thinking yesterday about Thomas' departure." says Cy.

"That's interesting." says Conrad, sarcastically.

"Just keep your pinball in play, Conrad." says Cy.

"Leave me alone." says Conrad.

"You invited that, my friend." says Cy.

"I'll try to avoid it for the rest of the morning." says Conrad.

"Get off my case this morning, Conrad." says Cy.

"Make me." says Conrad.

"I will." says Cy.

"Cy, get back to your original conversation." says Phil.

"Okay, I was talking to Liberty about my loneliness." says Cy.

"You were talking with Liberty?" asks Phil.

"Don't worry, Liberty was talking like a dog does, with barks and woofs." says Cy.

"You had me going there for a second." says Phil.

"Anyway, I was talking with Liberty when suddenly, I got an idea." says Cy.

"What kind of an idea?" asks Phil.

"I should seek out ways of ending my loneliness." says Cy.

"What a brilliant idea." says Conrad.

"Leave it, Conrad. Anyway, I went into my study and thought about it for a while and then, I found it." says Cy.

"Found what?" asks Phil.

"I've decided to rent out my bedroom to boarders." says Cy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Tomorrow, Conrad and Phil discuss Cy's idea, with plenty of negative opinion, mostly from Conrad, but then, what is new?
 
Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.
 
A production of WGN Chicago.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment