Monday, September 13, 2010

Episode 71

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "Out With The Old", Part 4

Last week, we ended our fifth serial of the series with Thomas deciding that, since he now has a living relative in his mother, he should live with her.  Thomas soon shared this decision with her mother as the sixth serial of the series began, who, after some time, allowed Thomas the pleasure of moving in with her.  As we begin this week, the next day has begun and we make our way over to WHYP...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The next morning quickly for Cy as he makes his way down the hallway to the green room. As he enters, he is spotted by Phil, who is walking over with a cup of coffee in his hands.

"Good morning, Cy. Here's your coffee." says Phil, handing the cup over.

"Thank you, Phil. You're a lovely intern." says Cy.

"So, how was your first night along in weeks?" asks Conrad, playing a game of pinball.

"That's tonight, I got a reprive yesterday." says Cy.

"How did that happen?" asks Phil.

"Well, Thomas went over to Mary's place and asked if he could move in. She told him that she would think about it and give her answer at dinner." says Cy.

"Sounds interesting already." says Phil.

"Mary then invited me and Darlene to that dinner." says Cy.

"Must be an important decision to include you two." says Phil.

"Anyway, the three of us then meet at Mary's place for a hippie dinner and her answer." says Cy.

"I can guess that her answer was yes." says Phil.

"You guess correctly." says Cy.

"You finally gonna be alone again, Cy." says Conrad, finishing up his game.

"I'm not gonna be alone. I have Liberty to keep me company." says Cy.

"A dog can't talk to you when you need it, Cy." says Conrad.

"At least I won't be lonely." says Cy.

"You mean, for long?" asks Conrad.

"What does that mean, Conrad?" asks Cy.

"It means that you will feel alone eventually, even with Liberty." says Conrad.

"I'll be happy, just the same." says Cy.

"Face it, you'd thought you had filled that void left by your mother's passing, but again, it's gone." says Conrad.

"Stop digging at my past, seeing how I can't dig at yours." says Cy.

"What does that mean?" asks Conrad.

"It means you keep mentioning something in Darlene's past that made her freeze and that's what you do when I ask you about it." says Cy.

"Because it's none of your business." says Conrad.

"Is that so?" asks Conrad.

"Guys, will this fighting over Darlene ever end?" asks Phil.

"I wonder that question myself." says Cy.

"Ditto. I don't know what to do." says Conrad.

"How about accepting it?" says Cy.

"Leave it alone, Cy." says Conrad.

"Leave what alone, Conrad?" asks Cy.

"You know what I mean." says Conrad.

"Do I?" asks Cy.

"Guys, quit it." says Phil.

"I guess we can once again hold our arguement until after the show." says Cy.

"We never get back to it after the show." says Conrad.

"Not going after it this time." says Cy.

The rest of the morning and the show soon pass and Cy makes his way home. When he gets there, he finds Thomas, making his way out of the front door with his belongings.

"Hello, Cy." says Thomas.

"Don't you mean goodbye, Cy?" asks Cy.

"I guess I do." says Thomas.

"Good thing you waited until I got home to leave." says Cy.

"I wanted to give you the chance to say goodbye." says Thomas.

"Goodbye then." says Cy.

"Take your time with this one." says Thomas.

"I don't know what to say." says Cy.

"Say something." says Thomas.

"Something." says Cy.

"You know what I mean." says Thomas.

"Thomas, I remember when you came to the green room a few weeks ago, looking for Phil." says Cy.

"And you met me, too." says Thomas.

"A lot of things happened to you here your first week back in Hyperion." says Cy.

"I tried to go back home and I ended up in jail." says Thomas.

"Where I bailed you out and gave you a home for a while." says Cy.

"And I'll never forget that." says Thomas.

"So why the disappearing act?" asks Cy.

"For the longest time, I felt I had no family to call my own. Now, I find I have a living mother and I own it to myself to move in with her and learn more about her." says Thomas.

"I guess I can't hold it against you for wanting that." says Cy.

"Tell the truth, if you found that your mother was still alive, would you move in with her?" asks Thomas.

"In a cold minute." says Cy.

"Now you see my point." says Thomas.

"I guess I do. Remember what I taught you, and what you plan to do." says Cy.

"I will." says Thomas.

"Maybe you and your mother can move back into that old house." says Cy.

"Maybe. Gotta go now." says Thomas.

"See you later." says Cy.

"Ditto." says Thomas, who then walks away.

Cy then makes his way into his house as Thomas walks his way down the street. As Cy enters, he spies Liberty, waiting for him.

"Hello, Liberty." says Cy.

"Arf!" says Liberty.

"Well, it's now just you and me." says Cy.

"Woof!" says Liberty.

"Just you and me and my mother." says Cy, gazing at the urn on the mantle.

"Woof!" says Liberty as Cy walks over to the mantle.

"Mama, I'm alone again. How do I become unalone again?" says Cy to the urn.

"Arf!" says Liberty.

"Thanks, Liberty, but I need human contact." says Cy.

Then, Cy gets an idea in his head. He looks over at the mantle, down at Liberty, and around the living room. Then, he grabs onto the idea and then runs into the study, along with Liberty.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Tomorrow, we learn what idea has entered Cy's head, and Thomas settles into his home, with a few pains along the way.
 
Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.
 
A production of WGN Chicago.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment