Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Episode 78

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "In With The New", Part 4

Yesterday, Elmer turned in his notice and left.  Meanwhile, Cy learned that his girlfriend Joanne is a would-be teacher, who has applied for her first teaching job, as a sub at Hyperion High School. 
As we begin today, Joanne has left her job interview...

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As Joanne makes her way out of the school, she hears a whistle. She stops in her tracks and looks around and finds Cy, leaning up against the building.

"How did you know to find me here?" asks Joanne.

"I first went to the usual place and your brother told me you were here." says Cy.

"I guess you're wondering why I was in there." says Joanne.

"The thought had crossed my mind." says Cy.

"If you must know, I'm gonna be a teacher." says Joanne, who then continues walking.

"A teacher, as in one who shapes people's minds?" asks Cy as he gets underway behind Joanne.

"That's right, Cy." says Joanne.

"'Don't so hard at that stuff, Cy, or it will happen to you.'." says.

"Who said that to you?" asks Joanne.

"My mother, and she's right." says Cy.

"Just because I'm gonna be a teacher doesn't mean you should worry." says Joanne.

"Did you go away to college?" asks Cy.

"Yes, I did." says Joanne.

"Did you return to teach at the high school?" asks Cy.

"Yes, I did." says Joanne.

"Then welcome back, Joanne." says Cy.

"Cy, is there anything else you wish to talk about?" asks Joanne.

"I could talk about my new boarder." says Cy.

"What happened to Thomas?" asks Joanne.

"That will require a long story." says Cy.

"Just tell me the short one." says Joanne.

"Well, it turns out his mother is still alive and he went to live with her." says Cy.

"That's interesting." says Joanne.

"So, I decided to put an ad in the paper for a free room and I got a bite." says Cy.

"And does this bite have a name?" asks Joanne.

"Renee Wesner." says Cy.

"And how she is doing under your roof?" asks Joanne.

"Doing well, but I think something is off with her." says Cy.

"What do you mean?" asks Joanne.

"When I got home, she was looking at my painting and she was acting abrasive to me." says Cy.

"That's a little interesting." says Joanne.

"That's not all. Before I left, she told me that all New Yorkers are all alike, that all we care about is ourselves." says Cy.

"But that's not you at all." says Joanne.

"She thinks it is." says Cy.

"I wonder what caused her to get that point of view." says Joanne.

"Who knows? All I know is that I have to live with her now." says Cy.

"Why can't she move out?" asks Joanne.

"Because she says she has no choice." says Cy.

"It sounds like her life depends on living there." says Joanne.

"And that's not a safe route to take when living with someone." says Cy.

"You're safe, Cy." says Joanne.

"For how long?" asks Cy.

The next morning, at Cy's own house, he lays asleep in his recliner. In his dream, he thinks of Joanne, sitting down, dressed in an outfit out of a 19th-century French painting, with Cy, dressed the way he always is, with his head in her lap, looking up at her face, or he would be if his eyes weren't closed.

"Ah, Joanne, my life is trouble. That Barry & Terry give me fits." says Cy to the dream Joanne.

"I know, my dear Cy. You were a wonderful human being." says the dream Joanne.

"I wish I could be with you all the time." says Cy.

"What's stopping you?" asks the dream Joanne.

"I hold you so high. I can't ask you to step down from your pedestal." says Cy.

"I am your love, Cy. Treat as you please." says the dream Joanne.

Just then, Cy feels a hard sensation on the side of his head. This hit confuses him in his dream. He then feels another hit on his head. He then stirs out of his dream as he feels another hit in rapid succession. He then opens his eyes to find Renee standing over him, swatting him with the morning paper.

"What are you doing?" asks Cy.

"Oh, you're awake." says Renee as she stops her blows.

"You did a fairer job of it than my alarm clock." says Cy.

"You stupid New Yorker. How can anyone stand you?" says Renee.

"You're calling me stupid?" asks Cy.

"You all are. Your stupid accent and your stupid adtitude and your stupid clothes and your stupid way of treating people you love." says Renee, breaking into a sob as she runs away.

Some time later, Cy walks down the hallway at WHYP, holding the side of his head as he walks into the green room, in which he finds Phil, who is alone inside the room, pouring himself a cup of coffee as Cy walks up to the coffee pot.

"Good morning, Phil." says Cy.

"What's wrong with your head?" asks Phil.

"I had the most unusual encounter with my new boarder this morning." says Cy.

"How does that relate to your head?" asks Phil.

"I was dreaming a fine dream as I lay aslumber when I felt a hit on the side of my head." says Cy.

"That's interesting." says Phil.

"I managed to wake up, where I found Renee hitting me over and over with the paper." says Cy.

"Did she stop?" asks Phil.

"The minute I woke up. She tried to say sorry, but she launched into this thing about how stupid New Yorkers are." says Cy.

"That accent must get to her." says Phil.

"She's the first, truly, to let my voice get under her skin." says Cy.

"You better not let her hear your mother's voice." says Phil.

"That's a Jersey accent, and she had it until the day she died." says Cy.

"Did anything signal you as to why she was hitting you?" asks Phil.

"She did say that we New Yorkers treat stupidly the people someone loves." says Cy.

"The people someone loves? Must be a clue." says Phil.

"How can I know when I'm risking certain death now?" asks Cy.

"Whatever do you mean?" asks Phil.

"I mean, today the newspaper. What if tomorrow, she upgrades to a brick? I wanna live past 27." says Cy.

"Don't worry, Cy. I don't think she's gonna kill you." says Phil.

"Your life isn't in danger, so leave the worrying to me." says Cy.

"Whatever you say, Cy." says Phil.

"By the way, where's my faithful radio sidekick today?" asks Cy.

"He called this morning and said that he was taking a personal day." says Phil.

"I guess he decided that the only way to avoid the daily argument is to not come into work." says Cy.

"I hope he's here tomorrow." says Phil.

"Well, for today, you're my faithful radio sidekick." says Cy.

"I hope Mr. Gold doesn't notice my appearences and Conrad's disappearences." says Phil.

"He's too busy wheeling and dealing with donors and sponsors to notice what goes out on the air." says Cy.

"That is true." says Phil.

"Today, it's the usual Tuesday hum-drum." says Cy.

"I love the Tuesday hum-drum." says Phil.

"I'll even let you read any police announcments, if I see Officer Grace's name in them." says Cy.

"You're a great pal to have." says Phil.

"Tell that to Renee." says Cy.

"Maybe I will." says Phil.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Tomorrow, more blows come to Cy, who, in an effort to disfuse the situation, tells his mother's life story.  A tale just waiting to be told.
 
Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.
 
A production of WGN Chicago.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment