Friday, September 10, 2010

Episode 70

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "Out With The Old", Part 3

Yesterday, Thomas managed to tell his mother that he was gonna move in with her.  Rather than answer right off, she told him that she would give her answer at dinner that night, and also invited Cy and Darlene to attend.  As we begin, evening has decended on Hyperion and Cy, Darlene, and Thomas have arrived at the Baker Street Apartments and Apartment B...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thomas slowly opens the door and the three of them step inside. As Cy walks inside, his nose detects an interesting smell in the air, reminding him of a certain plant as he takes it in. Meanwhile, Mary is standing by the dining table, with four settings already put down and filled with food.

"Wasting no time with the food, I see?" asks Thomas.

"Right on the money." says Mary.

"I smell that you spent some time elsewhere without going anywhere." says Cy.

"You have a very sentitive nose, Cy." says Mary.

"I had a few friends who take trips in this manner." says Cy.

"Cy, let's just sit down." says Thomas, making his way over to the dining table.

"Thomas, settle down. Let us take some lettuce before Mary imparts her decision." says Cy as he follows again, with Darlene doing the same.

All three and Mary sit down at the table and take a look at their plate, loaded with fresh veggies and fruit.

"Nice food." says Darlene.

"It's the hippie national diet, Darlene. Hers is a culture as well." says Cy.

"Very good, Cy." says Mary.

"When will give your decision?" asks Thomas.

"Thomas, can't I impart some dinner conversation on ourselves first?" asks Cy.

"What subject have you in mind?" asks Mary.

"I think I will impart my knowledge of the hippie culture itself." says Cy.

"And what knowledge do you have on my people?" asks Mary.

"Just that there are about three generations of hippies living today." says Cy.

"Interesting." says Darlene.

"And I know that you're a second-generation hippie, raised by those of the first generation. Of course, each generation adds its own cultural and tries their best to pass those on, while encouraging new traits." says Cy.

"Cy, I wanna hear what Mary has to say." says Thomas.

"Then I shall tell you." says Mary.

"What is your decision then?" asks Thomas.

"I've decided to let you stay with me." says Mary.

"That's great." says Thomas.

"But we must discuss this first." says Mary.

"Good idea." says Cy.

"You keep out of this." says Thomas.

"I think Cy should be involved. After all, it is Cy's house you will moving out of." says Mary.

"Thanks for including me on this." says Cy.

"No problem." says Mary.

"That's just great. I'm moving out and I need to consult you." says Thomas.

"You're moving out just in time, because cabin fever seems to have set in." says Cy.

"I agree with you, Cy." says Mary.

"Me, too." says Darlene.

"I guess I have no choice." says Thomas.

"What are your points on this, as we continue this strain of dinner conversation?" asks Cy.

"First, I wanna ask you if this request is based on really wanting to move or to move out?" asks Mary.

"Doesn't the last couple of minutes answer that question?" asks Cy.

"I wanna move in with you. Until a few days ago, I thought I was alone in the world." says Thomas.

"That's true. Next question, how will you live if you move in here?" asks Mary.

"What does that mean?" asks Thomas.

"It means that where will you sleep in here and how will you live." says Mary.

"I've got some work, filling in for the janitor at the police station." says Thomas.

"How often is this job?" asks Mary.

"Whenever her music career overtakes her job." says Thomas.

"What music career?" asks Mary.

"I guess this is where I jump in. The current janitor happens to be my client, Miss Polly McIntyre, future country music star." says Cy.

"I see, and when her career comes calling, Thomas steps in?" asks Mary.

"I got him that job after Chief McIntyre, her uncle, ask me to get a replacement as he felt that Polly was spending too much time on her career." says Cy.

"That's interesting." says Mary.

"Can we get back to the subject at hand?" asks Thomas.

"Okay. Next question: how soon can you move in?" says Mary.

"How about tomorrow?" asks Thomas.

"It's a deal." says Mary.

"Great. I guess tomorrow I'll be evicting you from my home." says Cy.

"I guess you will." says Darlene.

"Thomas, I'm officially evicting you from my home." says Cy.

"I accept those terms." says Thomas.

"Can we get back to Cy's topic that we started with?" asks Darlene.

"Well, I guess it would be nice, but I feel another topic coming on." says Cy.

"And what topic is that?" asks Mary.

"Your namesake, so to speak." says Cy.

"I don't think you've ever said anything about your mother's show that wasn't a point to be made." says Darlene.

"Well, since we're in the company of a Mary Hartman, we should talk about the Mary Hartman, who lives in Fernwood, Ohio with husband Tom and daughter Heather." says Cy.

"Do go on." says Mary.

"Well, where should I begin?" asks Cy.

"Maybe you can start with when your mother was hired." says Darlene.

"Well, that would take me back to 1974, to a small apartment in Los Angeles, Cailfornia. I believe it was another Cailfornia day... " says Cy as he begins to speak.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Next week, Thomas finally moves out of Cy's home, who then makes a plan to combat loneliness, which will lead to a person, who will lead to an adventure, which will lead to...
 
Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.
 
A production of WGN Chicago.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment