Thursday, September 16, 2010

Episode 74

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "Out With The Old", Part 7

Yesterday, Conrad and Phil weighed in on Cy's decision to open his home to boarders.  Conrad himself shared concerns with both Cy and Darlene, to whom Conrad admitted that in Cy's mind, this plan is to combat the idea that people keep leaving him.   Cy then shares his opinion with the both of them. 
As we begin, we check back in on Thomas...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Evening soon falls on Hyperion, and at 221-B Baker Street, Thomas sits down at the dinner table as Mary mixes up some food to eat in the kitchen.

"Dinner has finally arrived." says Thomas.

"Another wonder meal as mother and son." says Mary as she puts some food on a plate.

"I can't wait to see what I get to eat today." says Thomas.

"I'm bringing it now." says Mary as she walks out of the kitchen with two plates.

"I can't wait." says Thomas.

"Here you go." says Mary as she sets down Thomas' plate, a collection of fresh vegetables and fruit.

"This is dinner?" asks Thomas as Mary sits down with her plate.

"It's what I eat, and it's what you're gonna eat." says Mary.

"I guess I have to." says Thomas.

"I don't blame your reaction. You were raised on all that unhealthy food." says Mary.

"I enjoy steak." says Thomas as he fiddles with a piece of broccoli.

"I don't expect you to give up those foods. I just want you to eat what I eat, for a change." says Mary.

"My palate went with Cy's endless recipes." says Thomas.

"Does he cook?" asks Mary.

"All the time, but he's letting Joanne cook a few meals." says Thomas.

"It's really getting serious between those two. The first time he was here, he couldn't talking about that kosher meal she cooked up for him." says Mary.

"Same here." says Thomas.

"And those stories he told about his mother." says Mary.

"Can't get enough of them." says Thomas.

"You're barely listening to me. You're just gazing at that food." says Mary.

"I can't help it. I'm still getting used to it." says Thomas.

"This is your second day here." says Mary.

"And I'm sticking around." says Thomas.

"So pick up that piece of broccoli and eat it." says Mary.

Thomas then picks up the piece of broccoli and puts it in his mouth. After a few strained bites, Thomas swallows it down.

"There." says Thomas.

"That wasn't so bad, now, wasn't it?" asks Mary.

"Sure. Let's go with that." says Thomas.

"Tell you what. I'll let you go the store tomorrow and you can buy whatever you want." says Mary.

"With whose money?" asks Thomas.

"Yours, of course." says Mary.

"I'm sure I can buy whatever I need with pocket change." says Thomas.

"Don't be like that. I'm sure your job is doing fine." says Mary.

"I only do my job when Polly has to play." says Thomas.

"You'll get lucky when she gets lucky." says Mary.

"When will that be?" asks Thomas.

"Just eat your food, for me." says Mary.

"Okay." says Thomas, who then pops another piece of broccoli in his mouth.

"You're learning." says Mary.

Just then, the phone rings.

"I'll get it." says Thomas, getting up from his chair.

Thomas then rushes over to the phone and picks up the receiver.

"Hello?" asks Chief McIntyre's voice on the other end.

"Hello, Chief McIntyre." says Thomas.

"Thomas, I know you've just started working for me." says Chief McIntyre.

"I know that very well." says Thomas.

"And I'm still wanting to see how well you do your job." says Chief McIntyre.

"That is true, sir." says Thomas.

"So, I've decided to hire you full time here at the station." says Chief McIntyre.

"Just like that?" asks Thomas with surprise.

"I know it's sudden, but I feel that if I had you around whenever Polly's musical career came calling, I'd feel better about her having one." says Chief McIntyre.

"That does seem to be a valid reason, sir." says Thomas.

"You start here on Monday. Same rates apply." says Chief McIntyre.

"Thanks, sir. You don't know how grateful you made me." says Thomas.

"See you on Monday." says Chief McIntyre, who then rings up the phone.

"What did Chief McIntyre want?" asks Mary.

"He's decided to hire me full time at the police station." says Thomas.

"See? You're moving up in the world." says Mary.

Some time later, Thomas heads into the bedroom and walks his way over to his sleeping mat that Mary set up for him.

"My second night, and still no bed." says Thomas as he walks up to it.

"I'll do." says Mary, walking in behind him.

"Well, at least no more surprises once bedtime rolls around." says Thomas as he lays down on the mat.

"Not quite." says Mary.

"What surprise do you have up your sleeve tonight?" asks Thomas.

"I thought I would save this until the second night, after we've spent a full day together." says Mary.

"What surprise would require that?" asks Thomas.

"When I slept last night, I didn't feel right." says Mary.

"What must you do to feel right when you sleep?" asks Thomas.

"This." says Mary, who then starts removing pieces of her outfit, going on until nothing is left and nothing else is on.

"You sleep... without clothes on?" asks Thomas.

"I've done it for a long time, and I feel it helps me sleep my best, for it's how people should sleep." says Mary as she walks over to her sleeping mat.

"I'll keep my clothes on." says Thomas.

"I didn't expect you to join me in this." says Mary as she lays down on the mat.

"I guess all that left is to say good night." says Thomas.

"Good night." says Mary, who then drifts off to sleep.

Thomas then sits up on the mat as he thinks over the last two days. His eyes repeatly gaze over at the naked body of his sleeping mother and he decides to head out on the town. He then gets off the mat and makes his way of the apartment and the building .

He makes his way down to Tom's Place, where the Friday night crowd is beginning to gather. At one table sits a woman, crying into a newspaper, looking over the classified section, looking for something.
 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Tomorrow, we begin our seventh serial of the series with a answer to a question asked out of loneliness and another question, whose answer is a mystery to be found.
 
Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.
 
A production of WGN Chicago.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment