Thursday, September 9, 2010

Episode 69

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "Out With The Old", Part 2

Yesterday, we began our sixth serial of the series with Cy telling Conrad and Phil about Thomas' decision to move out to go live with his mother.  Both reminded Cy that he would alone again, while Cy defended himself, saying that new dog Liberty was company enough.  As we begin, we head across town from the WHYP green room...

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Inside Apartment B at the Baker Street Apartments, Mary is waking from her sleep, from her usual place, the sleeping mat in the bedroom, decorated the same as the rest of the apartment. As she awakens, she hears a knock on the door. Curious, she slowly makes her way to the front door, which she opens to find Thomas.

"Good morning, my son." says Mary.

"Good morning, mom." says Thomas.

"Please come in, Thomas." says Mary.

"Mom, I've got an idea I wanna share with you." says Thomas.

"Well, what is it, son?" asks Mary.

"I wanna move in with you." says Thomas.

"Already? We just got back together, Thomas." says Mary.

"I know this is sudden, but I feel I need to do this." says Thomas.

"Are you sure, Thomas?" asks Mary.

"I think I am." says Thomas.

"That's what your father said when he asked me to marry him." says Mary.

"It's nothing like that." says Thomas.

"It is, because I asked him to move in with me and he told me he wasn't gonna go that way." says Mary.

"I'm nothing like my father." says Thomas.

"Why not? You were raised by him and look where you ended up." says Mary.

"I made a few bad choices." says Thomas.

"Because your father never told you of the good ones." says Mary.

"It's my fault, not his." says Thomas.

"Give him some of the blame for what happened to you." says Mary.

"You still haven't answer my question." says Thomas.

"Let me think about it, Thomas." says Mary.

"When can I expect an answer?" asks Thomas.

"Tonight. I'll have you, Cy, and Darlene for dinner and I'll tell you my decision." says Mary.

"It's a deal." says Thomas.

A few hours later, as Cy enters his house, he finds the figure of Thomas, standing near the hallway that leads to the study. Thomas' appearence surprises Cy.

"I thought you were gone." says Cy.

"What made you think I was gone already?" asks Thomas.

"From what you said this morning, I felt you'd already were moved out." says Cy.

"I told you that I was moving out by the end of the week." says Thomas.

"You left here this morning, telling me that you were gonna ask Mary if you can move in with you." says Cy.

"That I did." says Thomas.

"And what did she say about it?" asks Cy.

"She told me that she would think about it." says Thomas.

"Did she tell you when she would have an answer for you?" asks Cy.

"Tonight, at dinner." says Thomas.

"I'd take it that she is inviting you over for another dinnertime meeting." says Cy.

"And she has invited both you and Darlene." says Thomas.

"And why not? The two of us helped in the reunion of a mother to her son." says Cy.

"Don't go overboard on this." says Thomas.

"I'll be a kind and gentle dinner guest, as always." says Cy.

"And so will Darlene." says Thomas.

"Speaking of which, I feel that my friendship with Conrad is starting to strain." says Cy.

"I thought it was already strained." says Thomas.

"It was taut, which is different from strained. At first, we just didn't see eye to eye, then we disagreed, and now, we're on opposite sides of this battle." says Cy.

"I still don't know you to follow." says Thomas.

"You should pick one, if you feel you're gonna continue dating Darlene." says Cy.

"I have to admit, me and Darlene's relationship is growing cold a bit." says Thomas.

"Is the ice re-forming?" asks Cy.

"No. Just that it's starting to lose its appeal." says Thomas.

"That happens. All relationships calm down." says Cy.

"I guess it's normal to feel like it was a fling." says Thomas.

"A fling? Is that how you see it?" asks Cy.

"I guess I do." says Thomas.

"Maybe it'll heat back up soon." says Cy.

"I hope so. I don't know if me and Darlene are meant to be together." says Thomas.

"You'll find out in time." says Cy.

The evening soon arrives in Hyperion, and over at the Baker Street Apartments, Cy, Thomas, and Darlene make their way inside the building itself.

"I wonder what Mary's answer will be." says Darlene as the trio make their way down the hallway to Apartment B.

"Ditto here, Darlene. I mean, this is a big decision, because it affects me." says Cy.

"You mean me, don't you, Cy?" asks Thomas.

"That's what I mean." says Cy.

"That's not an answer, Cy." says Thomas.

"It's all I have." says Cy.

"Guys, this decision that Mary is making is not something to be taken lightly." says Darlene.

"She's right, Thomas. I mean, you've nowhere else to live since you got back in this town, and now you do." says Cy.

"We don't know that yet, Cy." says Thomas.

"I know, but we must use every outcome to further our goal." says Cy.

"This is all mine, Cy." says Thomas.

"And the outcomes are yours, as well. Remember that." says Cy.

"I will, Cy." says Thomas.

"Here we are, guys." says Darlene as they reach the door.

"Once again, Thomas, you knock." says Cy.

"Okay." says Thomas, who then gives the door a good knock.

"Come in." says Mary's voice from inside.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Tomorrow, another fateful dinner decends on 221-B Baker Street.  If only Sherlock Holmes was around to see his home a center of mystery again.
 
Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.
 
A production of WGN Chicago.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment