Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Episode 83

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "An Act of Love", Part 2

Yesterday, we began our eighth serial of the series with Cy finishing up relating his discovery that his boarder Renee is a homosexual and that she is love with a girl named Stacy Castle.  After he finished, he was interupted by a phone call from Tom Morgan, who asked if Polly could perform there that Saturday, which he accepted.
As we begin today, Cy has gathered the members of the Sidewinders and Polly for an all-day rehearsal...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

That afternoon, Cy, Conrad, and Joanne have gathered at 214 Third Street, where Polly and the Sidewinders are rehearsing for their Saturday gig at Tom's Place. Conrad has joined the group on his banjo. As they rehearse, Cy and Joanne watch from the line of chairs.

"They sound great today." says Joanne.

"That they do." says Cy.

"And Conrad's really playing." says Joanne.

"I asked him to join them because I need to hear a bigger sound." says Cy.

"Why do you need a bigger sound?" asks Joanne.

"Because I'm thinking of making a demo album of Polly and I need more than the Sidewinders." says Cy.

"Where are you gonna get the money?" asks Joanne.

"I think I'll ask my secretary." says Cy.

"I'll see about that." says Joanne as Polly, the Sidewinders, and Conrad finish their song.

"That was great." says Cy.

"I think we need some more rehearsal." says Polly.

"We have aww night." says Elmer.

"That we do." says Cy.

"I'll think I'll sit the next song out." says Conrad, putting his banjo down.

"After all that picking, your fingers must be tired." says Joanne.

"I do feel a slight cramp in them." says Conrad as he takes a seat next to Cy and Joanne.

Polly and the Sidewinders then launch into another song as the three of them look on.

"Cy, I forgot to ask you, how's your new boarder?" says Joanne.

"Renee? Let me tell you." says Cy.

"Here we go." says Conrad.

"Quiet. Anyway, it seems that Renee has a slight dislike for me." says Cy.

"She hit you with a newspaper." says Conrad.

"Twice, to wake me up. Then, the following day, she tried to bash my head in with a baseball bat." says Cy.

"What happened?" asks Joanne.

"Well, I found that each of these wake-up calls was proceeded by Renee sneaking out of my house. So, I decided to follow her, with the help of a disguise." says Cy.

"And a bit of those inherited acting skills." says Joanne.

"Anyway, I followed her to Tom's Place. There, she was met by a woman." says Cy.

"A friend of hers?" asks Joanne.

"A really close friend." says Conrad.

"How close, Cy?" asks Joanne.

"Very close, as in me and you." says Cy.

"You're kidding?" asks Joanne.

"No, I have been living with a female homosexual, and don't say the word often used for it, for it's also a citizen of a Greek island, and I don't wanna hear it mangled." says Cy.

"I can't believe it." says Joanne.

"Believe it. Through my acting skills, I managed a quick conversation with this other woman. Her name is Stacy Castle and it seems that these two are in love." says Cy.

"That must be, if she's so distressed after meeting Stacy, Renee would wanna kill you." says Joanne.

"Can you understand what I need to do?" asks Cy.

"I can't." says Polly, stopping the rehearsal.

"Polly, have you been ease-dropping?" asks Cy.

"Just a little, but I heard enough." says Polly.

"Remember what you said, Conrad, about those people who don't see it the same way as me?" asks Cy.

"Yes." says Conrad.

"Polly is one of those people." says Cy.

"I can't believe you would rent out a room to one of those people." says Polly.

"I didn't know when I rented, and the room was free." says Cy.

"Good thing it's free. I don't wanna hear you spending on them." says Polly.

"They are people, Polly, no matter what your book says." says Cy.

"Didn't your mother teach you anything?" asks Polly.

"Yes, she taught me not to judge people, or you yourself will be judged." says Cy.

"Homosexuality is a sin, and you should know better, Cy." says Polly.

"I do know better. I know better than to slander good people." says Cy.

"They're not good people." says Polly.

"Just because of two lines in a book?" asks Cy.

"You're speaking of the Bible, Cy. Don't say anything bad about it." says Polly.

"I would never say anything bad about it. Besides, we're not talking about a sin." says Cy.

"That is what homosexuality is." says Polly.

"Love is not a sin, and I know love when I see it." says Cy.

"She nearly killed you, Cy." says Polly.

"Because something must have happened to Stacy to set her off." says Cy.

"You have to ask about that thing. What is causing all of this?" says Joanne.

"You're right, Joanne. I must look into it." says Cy.

"A sin is a sin, Cy, no matter how you look at it." says Polly.

"Love is no sin. I know that fact very well." says Cy.

"Believe what you will, Cy, you'll never convince me." says Polly.

"And I don't plan to. Another thing my mother taught me was to respect what people believe. You may not like it yourself, but you must give it its due, for that is what keeps us together." says Cy.

"At times, Cy, I wish people could hear what you say." says Polly.

"Any comparsions in order?" asks Cy.

"No one can compare to Him." says Polly.

"Well, I learn from the best." says Cy.

"So, what's your plan?" asks Conrad.

"And can I join in?" asks Joanne.

"Well, the first thing is to confront Renee and get her to talk about it." says Cy.

"And how are you gonna do that?" asks Conrad.

"Just trust me. I know what to do." says Cy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Tomorrow, a midnight meeting takes place for Cy, and a plan soon rolls downhill, which starts an adventure that he will never forget.
 
Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.
 
A production of WGN Chicago.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment