Thursday, September 23, 2010

Episode 79

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "In With The New", Part 5

Yesterday, Joanne shared with boyfriend Cy her dreams of becoming a great teacher, to the happiness and memory of Cy, who feels that he's one step away from Welcome Back, Shulman.  Meanwhile, another rain of blows lands on Cy, who tells of the attack to Conrad and Phil, who give their comfort to a worried man.
As we begin today, the day has passed from Hyperion...

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Night soon decends on Hyperion and Cy ends up in his easy chair. As he lays there, he alternates between sleep and awake, keeping one eye open as he tries to slumber in peace.

"If I see something like a brick, run." thinks Cy.

Cy then manages to drift a bit off to sleep, but five minutes later, he is stirred by a door closing. He opens one eye and spies the figure of Renee, moving around in the dark, slowly and quietly.

"I wonder what she's doing up?" thinks Cy.

Renee sneaks her way past the living room as she walks her way up to the front door. Then, quietly, she opens the door slowly and when it is wide enough, slips out of it. She then closes the door behind her.

"That's an odd thing to do." thinks Cy.

Cy then begins to wonder why Renee has left in the middle of the night, but decides against following her. He then drifts back to sleep, quietly, with nary a worry on his mind, except one, how will Renee wake him the next morning?

The following morning, Cy lays asleep, quietly dreaming. As the sun pours its early light into the window and onto Cy, the newspaper comes down on him. Cy quickly stirs from his slumber to encounter the same scene from yesterday.

"Take that, you New Yorker!" screams Renee.

"Renee, stop this at once." says Cy.

Renee then stops her attack. She then tries to speak but break down into a sob and runs away.

"This has to stop." says Cy.

Some time later, Cy makes his way into the green room. As he enters, he is met by Conrad, standing by the door, waiting for him.

"Good morning, Cy." says Conrad.

"So, you decided to come into work this morning?" asks Cy.

"I had to, so let's not get into a fight." says Conrad.

"Right, and I'm gonna help by talking to Phil this morning." says Cy.

"He's in the control room." says Conrad.

"I'll see you in a few." says Cy, who then makes his leave.

"That was odd." says Conrad.

Cy makes his way into the control room, where he finds Phil looking into the studio, observing Barry and Terry once again.

"Good morning, Phil." says Cy as he enters the room.

"The same to you, Cy." says Phil.

"I need to talk to you about a matter of importance." says Cy.

"What do you wish to discuss?" asks Phil.

"Once again, my new boarder Renee." says Cy.

"How did she wake you today?" asks Phil.

"The same as yesterday, but this time, her anger was more directed." says Cy.

"In what way?" asks Phil.

"Apparently, she has some hook-up on New Yorkers." says Cy.

"I wonder why." says Phil.

"That's not all. As I tried to sleep and keep an eye out last night, I saw Renee sneak out of the house." says Cy.

"That is interesting. Do you have an idea on where she went?" says Phil.

"I don't know, but it sure stirred her into hitting me again, and she broke down before she could explain." says Cy.

"That's also interesting." says Phil.

"I keep thinking to myself that I will live with Renee but I don't know what she'll use tomorrow to wake me up." says Cy.

"Don't worry, Cy. I'm sure she'll get use to you." says Phil.

"I don't know about that." says Cy.

"Trust me." says Phil.

Some time later, Cy returns home and finds Renee, standing by the mantle, looking at the urn with Debralee's ashes.

"Good day, Renee. I realize I didn't get to say it this morning when you were using the newspaper as an alarm clock." says Cy as he walks up to the mantle.

"Tell me, Cy, was your mother a New Yorker like you?" asks Renee.

"That depends on the question." says Cy.

"Was she born there?" asks Renee.

"Close to it. Elizabeth, New Jersey." says Cy.

"The same thing." says Renee.

"Then she moved to a town called Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania. There, she spent the rest of her childhood." says Cy.

"Then to New York." says Renee.

"Then to San Francisco, California, where she was cast in her very first movie." says Cy.

"She was an actress?" asks Renee.

"I think I may have mentioned it. Anyway, it was the classic Dirty Harry." says Cy.

"As what?" asks Renee.

"The naked corpse they pull from the sewer." says Cy.

"That's interesting." says Renee.

"She was also Hotsie Totsie on Welcome Back, Kotter." says Cy.

"That was set in New York." says Renee.

"Then she was cast as Cathy Shumway, the sister to the world-famous and apathic Mary Hartman." says Cy.

"Who cares about that?" asks Renee.

"She didn't mean that, Mama." says Cy to the urn.

"When did she move to New York?" asks Renee.

"After she decided to end her career, in 1990. I was around then, having been born in Burbank, on April 15th, 1983." says Cy.

"I don't care about that, or anything you just said. All I care about is what a New Yorker you are." says Renee.

"Don't drag my mother into this. She raised me right." says Cy.

"That's what you say, you... New Yorker!" says Renee, who then leaves the room.

"I hope it won't affect how I wake up in the morning." says Cy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Tomorrow, the son of the actress Debralee Scott resorts to the familiar skills in order to learn the reason for the blows he's been receiving lately.
 
Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.
 
A production of WGN Chicago.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment