Friday, September 24, 2010

Episode 80

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "In With The New", Part 6

Yesterday, Cy, after receiving another attack from Renee, decided to tell his mother's life story, to answer a question from Renee if she was a New Yorker like him.  After the story was done, little had changed, althought Cy might rule victory as his mother is safe from Renee's attacks.
As we begin today, another day has passed...

------------------------------------------------------------------------

That night, Cy lays asleep in his easy chair. This time, he is deep in slumber. As he sleeps, Renee once again sneaks out of her room and makes her way to the front door. She soon makes it out the door.

The morning arrives once again. As Cy lays sleeping, he himself stirs from his slumber, as he feels something in the air. He opens his eyes. They take a moment to focus but when they do, he spies Renee, armed with a baseball bat over her head, aimed at his.

"Die, New Yorker, die." says Renee.

Renee then swings the bat forward and Cy stops it just in time.

"What are you doing?" asks Cy as Renee puts the bat down.

"I can't believe you New Yorkers, going after a loved one like that." says Renee.

"This is an argument that I have no idea what the other side is." says Cy.

"I know perfectly well what the other side is, seeing how you New Yorkers stick together and talk to each other and warn each other." says Renee.

"Okay, for my sake, let's just say I know what you're talking about. You mind giving me names?" says Cy.

Renee then breaks down into a sob and runs away once more, leaving Cy to ponder the conversation.

Some time later, Cy makes his way to the green room. As he enters, he finds Phil and Conrad. Cy then makes his way over to Phil.

"Phil, I'm close to my deathbed." says Cy.

"Whatever do you mean?" asks Phil.

"This morning, I awoke to find Renee with a baseball bat, aimed at my head." says Cy.

"Seeing how you're still here, you stopped it in time?" asks Phil.

"But I may not be lucky tomorrow. I think that she snuck out again." says Cy.

"Then why don't you follow her and see the cause of all of this. If you do, you might stop the wake-up calls." says Phil.

"That's a fine idea." says Cy.

"I'm just full of them." says Phil.

"I gave you the material." says Cy.

That night, Cy lays in his easy chair, dressed in his own idea of a disguise. His disguise includes a fake beard and long leather overcoat with a neckerchief tied around his neck, although he is still wearing his own cowboy hat.

"I hope this get-up escapes notice." thinks Cy.

Soon enough, Cy hears the closing of Renee's front door. He soon turns on his side, looking towards the mantle, hoping to escape being noticed. He soon puts on a quick snore as Renee sneaks out the door.

Quickly, Cy leaps from the easy chair and makes his way to the front door. Quietly, he manages to leave without alerting Renee and Cy soon follows behind quietly, watching her every step.

The trail that Renee follows soon leads to Tom's Place. The current time might be about 1:00 am, but the place is full of the late Thursday night crowd. Renee makes her way inside and Cy follows suit, making sure that his arrival doesn't alert Renee. Cy soon makes his way over to the bar while Renee takes a table.

Several minutes past as Cy orders a beer and Renee orders nothing, while acting like she's waiting for something. While all this is going on, another woman enters the place.

Her very appearence is very interesting, with hair alternating between blonde and brunette. Her dress include a low neck-line shirt and blue jeans, almost sending mixed signals to those around her. The woman makes her way over to Renee's table.

"Renee, nice to see you." says the woman.

"Sit down, Stacy." says Renee to the woman, offering a seat.

"Once again, we meet at Tom's Place." says Stacy as she takes a seat.

"We have to, or risk death." says Renee.

"How are you with that Cy fellow?" asks Stacy.

"Well, today, he told me that his mother was a famous actress." says Renee.

"Maybe I've heard of her." says Stacy.

"Her name was Debralee Scott, I think." says Renee.

"Doesn't ring a bell." says Stacy.

"Well, after our last meeting, I was feeling a bit angry over what Al had done to you, so I decided to take it out of Cy again." says Renee.

"I still think you're quick to judge Cy based on his origin." says Stacy.

"According to him, he was born in Burbank." says Renee.

"I think I believe that." says Stacy.

"Anyway, I found a baseball bat and I almost hit him with it while he was sleeping." says Renee.

"I hope he woke up." says Stacy.

"He did. I tried to explain but I was too overcome again. Besides, I don't think he would be on my side if I told him." says Renee.

"There you go again, judging him too quick. Give him a chance." says Stacy.

"I roamed through that house of his. I think I judged him right." says Renee.

"Well, he must have some redeeming qualities." says Stacy.

"He keeps his mother's ashes on his mantle." says Renee.

"There, you see. He must love people enough." says Stacy.

"Only himself, it seems. I've yet to see a picture of a loved one besides his mother." says Renee.

"Does he have a loved one?" asks Stacy.

"He's mentioned someone named Joanne." says Renee.

"He does love someone." says Stacy.

"I've never met her, and for all I know, she's a figment of his imagination." says Renee.

"She must exist, to him." says Stacy.

"I'm telling you, he only cares for himself." says Renee.

"Whatever you say, Renee. I love you despite your nature." says Stacy.

"I just wish some people could see that." says Renee.

"Show me your trust in me." says Stacy.

The two then lean in and they give each other a kiss.

"Get the idea?" asks Renee.

"I did. I can't believe Al would drive us apart." says Stacy.

"He has no right." says Renee.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Next week, our seventh serial comes to a close and our eighth one begins with Cy relating his discovery at hand and deciding to take action, to the opinions of those around him, including a surprise opinion from Joanne, of all people.
 
Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.
 
A production of WGN Chicago.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment