Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Episode 77

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "In With The New", Part 3

Yesterday, the week began with Cy telling Conrad and Phil about his new boarder Renee.  Conrad still voiced a negative opinion while Phil offered a positive spin on it.  Meanwhile, the cleaning stuff at the Hyperion Police Station: Thomas, Polly, and Elmer, took a vote on who would quit, seeing as the staff had grown too big at three.
As we begin, the winner of the vote, Elmer, has decided to get it over with...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Elmer then walks his way over to Chief McIntyre's officer, to which the door is close, so Elmer gives it a swift knock.

"Come in." says Chief McIntyre.

"Hewwo, Chief." says Elmer as he walks inside.

"Ah, Elmer, what business do you wish to discuss?" asks Chief McIntyre.

"Chief McIntywe, I'm quitting." says Elmer.

"Why?" asks Chief McIntyre.

"Because I feew that thewe awe too many peopwe on the job as it is." says Elmer.

"That sounds like something Polly would say." says Chief McIntyre.

"I came up with this decision without Powwy's hewp." says Elmer.

"Elmer, I think it's fair to tell you that I often turn the intercom on to hear what's going on in the other room." says Chief McIntyre.

"How much do you know?" asks Elmer.

"I heard the thing you three just did." says Chief McIntyre.

"Can I stiww quit?" asks Elmer.

"Yes, you can." says Chief McIntyre.

"Goodbye, then." says Elmer, who then leaves the room.

"How did it go?" asks Polly.

"It went weww." says Elmer.

"Goodbye, friend." says Thomas.

"Same hewe." says Elmer, who then picks up his fiddle case and leaves the police station.

"He was a good worker." says Thomas.

"He never pushed this mop the whole time he worked." says Polly.

"You never let him." says Thomas.

"Remember that." says Polly.

At Cy's house, Cy himself is returning home. As he walks inside, he finds his boarder Renee, staring at his dining room painting.

"Nice work of art, isn't it?" asks Cy as he walks into the dining room.

"It looks nice." says Renee in a passive way.

"Don't begrudge this painting because of who painted it." says Cy.

"Who cares who painted it?" says Renee.

"The woman who painted this once was split into 16 different and separate personalities as the result of abuse no child should go through. It took the work of a dedicated pyschiarist to put her back together." says Cy.

"I still don't care." says Renee.

"You know, you're acting a little rough towards me." says Cy.

"You New Yorkers are all alike! You care about no one but your own." says Renee.

"What did I say to get that?" asks Cy.

"Just leave it alone!" says Renee, who then leaves the room.

"I've gotta get out of this house." says Cy.

Cy then makes his way to the front door and exits the house. Outside, he stops and ponders his next move. He then makes up his mind and proceeds forward. He makes his way over to the Shulman house. When he arrives, he walks up to the front door and gives it a swift knock.

"Yes, sir." says Joe III as he opens the door.

"Yes, I'd like to see your sister, Joanne." says Cy.

"She's not here at this moment." says Joe III.

"Then where is she?" asks Cy.

"She's over at the high school." says Joe III.

"I'll just go, then." says Cy.

"Thanks for coming anyway." says Joe III as he closes the door.

"I wonder what Joanne's doing at the high school." says Cy, before he takes off in the direction of the high school.

Over at the high school, Joanne is sitted in the principal's office. She looks around at the collection covering the sides of the office. The theme looks to be all about cows, with many things covered in the black-and-white spotted color scheme that covers most bovines.

"Where is that principal?" asks Joanne to herself.

"I'm here." says the principal as he enters the office.

"Hello there, Mr. Nixon." says Joanne.

"Same to you, Miss Shulman." says Mr. Nixon, who is reading a folder as he takes his seat behind his desk.

"I see you're reading my file." says Joanne.

"Yes, Miss Shulman, and I must say it's an interesting one." says Mr. Nixon.

"You can see my degree." says Joanne.

"Yes, a grad of the University of Michigan. I like that very much." says Mr. Nixon.

"And you can see my school file as well." says Joanne.

"A good student, through and through." says Mr. Nixon.

"So, what do you think?" asks Joanne.

"What do I think?" asks Mr. Nixon as he puts the file folder down.

"That's what I said." says Joanne.

"Miss Shulman, I read your file and find that you are good enough to teach here. The problem here is, is there room for you?" says Mr. Nixon.

"What do you mean, Mr. Nixon?" asks Joanne.

"I mean, I've been having a teacher shortage, but those still here have doubled their efforts and I don't know if they would slow down, just for you." says Mr. Nixon.

"I'll try my best to fit in." says Joanne.

"Miss Shulman, I think the best way to get you into this school is to hire you as a substitute teacher and then see which teacher first breaks under the strain." says Mr. Nixon.

"That's an interesting way to hire someone." says Joanne.

"Not really. I mean, I've always wanted to try that, and now, I get my chance." says Mr. Nixon.

"I'll be a great teacher." says Joanne as she gets out of her chair.

"That's the spirit. I have your number to call if a teacher goes bananas." says Mr. Nixon as Joanne walks to the door.

"Remember me." says Joanne as she walks out the office door.

"She'll be good." says Mr. Nixon.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Tomorrow, an interested person in Cy learns of his girlfriend's teaching dreams and we learn that some dreams have a message in them.
 
Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.
 
A production of WGN Chicago.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment