Thursday, September 2, 2010

Episode 64

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "Believe Me When I Tell You", Part 10

Yesterday, Cy and Thomas' dinner with Mary Hartman the hippie took an interesting turn when she revealed to Thomas that she was Thomas' long-thought dead mother.  In total shock, Thomas soon made his leave.  Cy, after a while, followed behind and gave Thomas a chance to reflect on the news as he headed off to work, the both of them.
As we begin today, Cy has arrived at WHYP...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Some time later, Cy is walking down the hallway to the green room at WHYP. As he enters, he finds both Conrad and Phil on opposite sides of the room. Conrad is playing pinball and Phil is getting a cup of coffee.

"Good morning, Cy." says Phil as he walks over with an extra cup of coffee.

"Is the coffee in my hands yet?" asks Cy, holding a hand like a cup was already in it.

"No. I've just gotten it." says Phil.

"Then put it in my hand." says Cy.

"Okay. Here we go." says Phil as he puts the cup in the ready hand.

"Thank you, Phil." says Cy, who then takes a sip.

"Good coffee?" asks Phil.

"Yes, it is. Boy, what a day yesterday was." says Cy.

"You had a busy day?" asks Phil.

"Not so much as busy as life-changing." says Cy.

"Do tell, Cy." says Conrad with a hint of sarcasm.

"Don't mind Conrad. He was part of it." says Cy.

"I'm sure I'll have something to say when the time comes." says Conrad.

"Go ahead, Cy." says Phil.

"It started when I was leaving the building here." says Cy.

"Here we go." says Conrad.

"Anyway, Me and Conrad saw that Mr. Gold was messing with a stray dog." says Cy.

"People aren't enough for him?" asks Phil.

"Let me continue." says Cy.

"Please do." says Phil.

"After hearing Mr. Gold saying that he would turn the dog over to those who would put it to sleep after seven days and shoo-ing it away, I told him I would take it." says Cy.

"What a start." says Phil.

"It gets better. As I started to walk home, the dog pulled alongside, like it heard me. So, I could the dog home, but that's not all." says Cy.

"There's more?" asks Phil.

"Yes. As I was walking home, I was met by Chief McIntyre outside the police station." says Cy.

"What did he want?" asks Phil.

"He wanted me to get Polly's career in order by getting someone to sub for her when her new music career takes over her job from time to time." says Cy.

"Then what happened?" asks Phil.

"I got home to find that Thomas had company." says Cy.

"What's so unusual about that?" asks Phil.

"It wasn't Darlene. It was a relative of his named... Mary Hartman." says Cy.

"Mary Hartman? I'm sorry." says Phil.

"Don't worry, I've decided to not fight it, and to think, I thought it was always strange that they did that." says Cy.

"What happened next, Cy?" asks Phil.

"Anyway, I found that Mary had gone on a trip without moving, if you know what I mean." says Cy.

"That I do." says Phil.

"Moving on, I managed to talk Thomas into coming with me to become the fill-in janitor at the police station, since Chief McIntyre told me to get one for tomorrow." says Cy.

"That's quick." says Phil.

"Thomas got the job, which he started today, but the day doesn't end there." says Cy.

"What happened next?" asks Phil.

"Me and Thomas went to the library to check on Darlene and we found Conrad trying his best to converse with her." says Cy.

"And there's my cue." says Conrad, walking away from the pinball machine.

"When Conrad got around to me, he proceeded to scream at me." says Cy.

"I was a little ticked-off at your behavior." says Conrad.

"You basically called your sister a drunk and a whore, each made by me and Thomas, in that order." says Cy.

"That was anger talking." says Conrad.

"What are you, Sybil? Anyway, Conrad does leave and we head back home to find Mary, safely back on planet Earth." says Cy.

"So, Cy Scott and Mary Hartman finally meet." says Phil.

"And that meeting featured an invite to her place, Apartment B at the Baker Street Apartments." says Cy.

"A trip to 221-B Baker Street." says Phil.

"But instead of Sherlock Holmes, we found a hippie crash pad belonging to Mary. After finding Mary meditating on the floor, we sat down to eat a hippie dinner." says Cy.

"Leafy greens and anything out of the ground." says Phil.

"During the dinner, Mary tells us that she wants to talk to Thomas about his childhood and his own mother." says Cy.

"Close relative to discuss that." says Phil.

"Moving on, Thomas tells her that his mother died giving birth to him." says Cy.

"I know, and so do you." says Phil.

"But Mary added that the information is a lie. Then, she reveals to Thomas that she herself is Thomas' mother." says Cy.

"You mean Thomas' mother is an old hippie?" asks Phil.

"Old but not dimmed in spirit. Anyway, Thomas doesn't wanna believe. Eventually, he just storms out of the place. I talked to him about it this morning but he has no idea what to do." says Cy.

"Maybe he could accept the fact his mother is now alive." says Phil.

"He's not like me. Unlike him, I know my mother is dead, but he had to rely on what his father said and the way he tells me, his father is very proud of himself, enough to lie." says Cy.

"It'll be hard to accept." says Phil.

"But he will. I know he will." says Cy.

"I'm just interested that you met someone named Mary Hartman." says Conrad.

"I just told you, she's no housewife from Ohio." says Cy.

"Still, you should consider something else." says Conrad.

"What should I consider?" asks Cy.

"What if Thomas finally believes it and he changes his last name?" says Conrad.

"I don't... I get it." says Cy.

"Get what?" asks Phil.

"His name would be Thomas Hartman, which is a short walk to Tom, and that was Mary's husband." says Cy.

"I get it now. Your life is more like that show all the time." says Phil.

"Don't remind me. " says Cy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Tomorrow, Thomas begins his first day as janitor for the Hyperion Police Department with interesting things on his mind and another flashback to December 1994 reveals something more interesting.
 
Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.
 
A production of WGN Chicago.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment