Monday, September 20, 2010

Episode 76

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "In With The New", Part 2

Last week, we ended our sixth serial and began our seventh.  As the sixth serial drew to a close, Cy got the idea to open his home to boarders, which caused a lot of talk from Conrad, who felt that the idea was Cy's way around loneliness, to which Cy denied.  Meanwhile, Thomas moved in with his mother and learned that life with a hippie isn't easy.
As we begin this week, Cy has let in his first boarder, a girl named Renee Wesner, and now, the weekend has passed...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The following Monday morning, Cy makes his way into the green room. As he enters, he is met by Conrad, holding two cups of coffee.

"Here's your coffee, Cy." says Conrad, holding out a cup.

"Thanks, Conrad. Where's Phil today?" says Cy.

"He's in the control room, overseeing Barry & Terry." says Conrad.

"Our feared rivals." says Cy.

"So, how's your hunt for a new boarder going?" asks Conrad.

"Better than I imagined. I actually got one." says Cy.

"Your ad was in the paper for one day and it worked?" asks Conrad.

"I guess I'm more lucky than I thought." says Cy.

"Same here." says Conrad.

"Her name is Renee Wesner and she is about Joanne's age, if not a little more." says Cy.

"What did you do to get her?" asks Conrad.

"Nothing. She accepted right away." says Cy.

"Did she say why?" asks Conrad.

"She told me that she had no choice." says Cy.

"Sounds interesting." says Conrad.

"Not really. I'm the only one offering a free room these days." says Cy.

"Cy, are you sure this whole thing isn't an attempt to get out of being lonely?" asks Conrad.

"Maybe a little. I mean, no person should be alone, ever." says Cy.

"Good wisdom there." says Conrad.

"My mother taught me well." says Cy.

"Did she see the urn?" asks Conrad.

"Yes, and she also saw the painting." says Cy.

"I can't believe you actually bought that thing." says Conrad.

"I bought for its beauty, not for who painted it." says Cy.

"Still, she's seen your surprises." says Conrad.

"I just hope she doesn't have any of her own." says Cy.

Down at the police station, Polly is busy mopping a section of floor, as both Elmer and Thomas stand by, watching the scene. The two men look on in deep thought.

"I can't bewieve that she's wowking wike this." says Elmer.

"Me, neither, Elmer." says Thomas.

"You think that she wouwd ask one of us to hewp hew." says Elmer.

"It doesn't seem like it." says Thomas.

"Maybe it's because they are three people working at cleaning the floor." says Polly.

"What's that suppose to mean?" asks Thomas.

"It means that this job began with one but somehow increased to three." says Polly.

"Weww, I was given the job without asking." says Elmer.

"And I was hired to replace you when your music career take over the job." says Thomas.

"Which means that, somehow, things have grown past a nice size." says Polly.

"What is a nice size?" asks Thomas.

"About one person." says Polly.

"That's not the point. The point is that this job was once worked by one person and now, three people work for one job, with two of those people work in the stead of the other." says Polly.

"That's being redundant." says Thomas.

"And that leads me to the person who responsible for all of this: Cy." says Polly.

"What's wrong with Cy?" asks Thomas.

"He had my uncle hire you to replace me, like I wasn't doing my job right." says Polly.

"Polly, you and Elmer must work on your music career." says Thomas.

"What career? So far, I've only had two gigs and four rehearsals. I wouldn't call that a career." says Polly.

"It will take off, just wait." says Thomas.

"That's what Cy keeps saying." says Polly.

"Well, I trust him." says Thomas.

"So do I." says Polly, taking a break from mopping and walking over to where Thomas and Elmer are.

"Guys, it's obvious that one of us needs to quit." says Elmer.

"And which one of us is that?" asks Thomas.

"The one pewson who has nothing to wose fwom quitting." says Elmer.

"That leaves me out." says Thomas.

"All three of us have nothing to lose from quitting." says Polly.

"That's a good point." says Elmer.

"Now, one of us has to go." says Polly.

"How do we chose?" asks Thomas.

"I have no idea." says Elmer.

"We must look into what do we have to lose and the one who has the least to lose has to quit." says Polly.

"Well, I need a means to support me and my mother." says Thomas.

"And I need to work until my record deal comes through." says Polly.

"I guess I'm the one with the weast to wose." says Elmer.

"Now the loser has to go into Chief McIntyre and hand in his resignation." says Polly.

"See ya water, guys." says Elmer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Tomorrow, Elmer gives his two-weeks notice and Cy is too weak to notice a streak in his new boarder's personality.
 
Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.
 
A production of WGN Chicago.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment