Monday, September 6, 2010

Episode 66

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "Believe Me When I Tell You", Part 12

Last week, interesting and shocking news decends on Cy's boarder Thomas when he is told by a hippie named Mary Hartman that she is his mother.  Soon, the news passes around and reaches Conrad and Phil, who feel that Thomas needs time to process the news.
As we begin this week, Thomas has enlisted Darlene to join him as he heads back to the Baker Street Apartments, location of Apartment B, home of Mary Hartman...

--------------------------------------------------------------------

In her apartment, some time later, Mary, fresh from her meditating, is making herself a leafy dinner. As she tears apart a lettuce leaf, she hears a knock. Curious, she makes her way to the door and opens it to find Thomas, along with Darlene.

"Hello, Thomas. Who's your friend?" says Mary.

"I'm Darlene Harris. I'm Thomas' girl." says Darlene.

"May I come in?" asks Thomas.

"Please do." says Mary as Thomas and Darlene step inside.

"The place hasn't change since I was last here." says Thomas.

"You were only here yesterday." says Mary.

"Cy told me to say that when I got here." says Thomas.

"I could tell his mark on it." says Darlene.

"I wasn't here. This is a nice place." says Darlene.

"Thank you, Darlene." says Mary.

"How have you been?" asks Thomas.

"Fine as can be. I've been meditating all day." says Mary.

"I wish I could that." says Darlene.

"Don't you ever work?" asks Thomas.

"I sell flowers at the farmers market during the summer. I earn enough money for a year." says Mary.

"I'm a librarian myself." says Darlene.

"That sounds like a good job." says Mary.

"It is. I mean, it's a great job to have. Maybe I could get you a job there." says Darlene.

"No thanks. I have no need to be around books all day." says Mary.

"I know what you mean. I get that feeling myself at times." says Darlene.

"But it's your job." says Mary.

"I used to be indifferent to it, but then again, I was indifferent to everything." says Darlene.

"Do go on." says Mary.

"I was what Cy termed a human iceberg. Cold, unfeeling, and uncaring." says Darlene.

"What happened to you?" asks Mary.

"Cy, for my birthday for the past five years, has given me a bottle of whiskey." says Darlene.

"Sounds like him already." says Mary.

"Anyway, on my last birthday, after I told him off with his mother... " says Darlene.

"That's a bad idea." says Thomas.

"Quiet, Thomas." says Mary.

"He dared me to drink the latest one." says Darlene.

"And did you?" asks Mary.

"The whole thing in one swallow. After I finished, I fainted." says Darlene.

"What happened after that?" asks Mary.

"Several hours later, I came to, and I felt different. I felt warm and kind and human." says Darlene.

"My guess is you never felt like that before." says Mary.

"That's right. As it turned out, the whiskey had melted my icy core and turned me human." says Darlene.

"A wonderful story, and it's all true?" asks Mary.

"That it is." says Darlene.

"I wish I could with people like you." says Mary.

"Maybe you should open a flower shop." says Thomas.

"I have no idea how to run a business." says Mary.

"Me, neither." says Thomas.

"I could help you. I know a couple of books on that." says Darlene.

"Thomas, can we get around to why you came here." says Mary.

"I came here to see if you are who you say you are." says Thomas.

"Thomas told me about that happened yesterday." says Darlene.

"I wish you could convince him for me." says Mary.

"Me, too. I mean, it sounds so interesting. Thinking that your mother is dead when she is actually alive?" says Darlene.

"You can believe it all you want, but I won't." says Thomas.

"I am your mother, Thomas. I've watched you grow." says Mary.

"I've seen you before in my life." says Thomas.

"Yes, you have." says Mary.

"When did I ever see you?" asks Thomas.

"A few times, when you were little. The last time is when you were about seven." says Mary.

"I still don't remember." says Thomas.

"It was at the little park down the street from where you lived. I talked to you about your behavior with a little boy." says Mary.

"That must be Phil. He works with Cy now." says Thomas.

"You must remember what I said to you." says Mary.

"I do remember talking to someone, but it couldn't be you." says Thomas.

"It was me. You told me that I wasn't your mother and I wasn't able to tell you what to do, just like you're doing now." says Mary.

"What a terrible thing to say about your mother." says Darlene.

"It was true then and true now." says Thomas.

"It is true and you know it. Otherwise, why did you come here?" says Mary.

"Please, Thomas. Believe what she says." says Darlene.

"I can't believe it and part of me doesn't wanna believe it." says Thomas.

"You mean, the part of you that takes after your father?" asks Mary.

"I'm nothing like my father!" says Thomas.

"After what you told me, I think so now." says Darlene.

"You are, because he felt I wasn't able to raise our son, so I left." says Mary.

"My mother died giving birth to me!" says Thomas.

"I'm your mother and I'm alive." says Mary.

"Thomas! She is your mother!" says Darlene at the top of her lungs.

"It's not true! It's not true! It's... not... true... " says Thomas as his solid resolve disappears.

"That's better, Thomas." says Darlene.

"Believe me when I say that I'm your mother and I love you very much." says Mary.

Thomas then grows silence and makes his way over to where Mary is standing. There, after a moment, he buries his head on Mary's shoulder, sobbing as he does.

"I love you, too." says Thomas.

"There, there, baby. My mommy's here, for good." says Mary as the two then embrace and comfort each other.

"I'm here for you, too." says Darlene.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Tomorrow, we end the fifth serial of the series with an interesting announcement from Thomas, which starts off events that will lead adventures beyond.
 
Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.
 
A production of WGN Chicago.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment