Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Episode 103

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "Why Not Your Baby", Part 1

Yesterday, we ended our tenth serial with Cy and Darlene telling Conrad that he is the temporary uncle of a new-found baby.  Conrad voices a little distrust but he is letting it roll off his back.  However, as we begin today, Conrad is letting his opinions get their voice again...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cy and Darlene make their way over to the stairs. Meanwhile, Conrad is getting out of the easy chair and making his way towards them.

"I can't believe you're really doing this." says Conrad.

"Me, neither, but we're doing it." says Cy.

"Aren't you happy for me?" asks Darlene as she, Cy, and Conrad begin to walk up the stairs.

"Are you, Conrad?" asks Cy.

"Maybe." says Conrad.

"Want us to give you a minute?" asks Cy.

"Listen, Cy. I just know you put my sister up to this." says Conrad.

"Why must you blame me for what your sister has done?" asks Cy.

"Because of what you did on her birthday." says Conrad.

"I swear, Conrad, this whole thing is stuck on you like flies on the wall." says Cy.

"But you admit it." says Conrad.

"I admit that what happened has helped her." says Cy.

"And how does turning her into a drunk help her?" asks Conrad.

"She doesn't drink that much anymore, I believe." says Cy.

"I think she is drinking more." says Conrad.

"How do you know? You never talk to her anymore." says Cy.

"Quiet, you guys. You'll wake up the baby." says Darlene.

"There, she's acting like a mother already." says Cy.

"What makes you think she can take care of a baby?" asks Conrad as they reach the second floor.

"She can. I know she can." says Cy.

"That's your opinion, Cy." says Conrad.

"Can you take care of one?" asks Cy.

"I don't know." says Conrad.

"Then don't judge Darlene because she wants to prove herself as a warm and loving mother to a little baby who's had a rough entry into the world." says Cy.

"Don't make this into a grand thing, Cy. After all, your father might have something to do with this." says Conrad.

"How can my father have anything to do with this?" asks Cy.

"He must have pushed your buttons enough to make you go into this without looking ahead." says Conrad.

"You're actually starting to doubt me, aren't you?" asks Cy.

"I might be, Cy. After all, your actions lately haven't been up to snuff." says Conrad as they reach the stairs to the attic.

"Here we are, little girl. Your temporary home." says Darlene as they walk up the attic stairs.

"Listen to how she is to that baby, Conrad. I can tell she's a good mother." says Cy.

"What makes you an expert? Wait, don't tell me, your mother." says Conrad.

"I've also seen bad mothers setting bad examples, both personally and second-hand." says Cy.

"And that makes you an expert?" says Conrad.

"You know, your behavior is starting to get on my nerves." says Cy as he stops on the stairs, causing Conrad to also stop.

"Maybe it's because of what your behavior is making you do." says Conrad.

"You tolerated it before. I know, because this is nothing new." says Cy.

"Maybe it's because of what you've done to my sister." says Conrad.

"What I did to your sister or did not do must have really gotten to you, because it happened over a month ago." says Cy.

"Maybe you have that kind of affect on people." says Conrad.

"Guys, come on up here." says Darlene from the attic.

"Let's go see the baby in its temporary home." says Cy as he resumes going up the stairs.

"Let's do that, let's do that... " says Conrad as he follows behind.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Tomorrow, we see the place where Darlene has made her home in the one she shares with Conrad, and the baby gets its name.  Can you figure out what it is?
 
Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.
 
A production of WGN Chicago.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment