Monday, October 4, 2010

Episode 86

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "An Act of Love", Part 5

Last week, we ended our seventh serial and began our eighth with Cy's discovery and relaying of the news that his new boarder is a homosexual and in love with a girl named Stacy, who has a would-be boyfriend named Al, who abuses Stacy, causing Renee pain.  After learning that Al has threaten Renee with death if she sees Stacy again, Cy decides to do something.
As we begin this week, Sunday has arrived in Hyperion and Cy rolls his plan into action...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday night soon rolls around and as the sun sinks beneath the horizon, Cy waits around for his time to sneak out. As he waits, he spies Renee, roaming the house, not saying a word to Cy. Soon enough, Renee heads off to bed and 10:00 pm rolls around.

Darkness surrounds the house as Cy, dressed in his Mr. Burroughs disguise, minus the beard, quietly makes his way out of the house. He sneaks down the stairs, looking around for anyone as to not be spotted.

As he makes it to the bottom, Joanne, dressed in a coat, covered the top of a long nightgown, with her hair covered by a kerchief, creeps up from the side of the stairs and walks up behind Cy.

"Hello, my darling Cy." says Joanne, startling Cy.

"Joanne, what the hell are you doing?" asks Cy, stopping him in his tracks.

"I've decided to help you." says Joanne.

"I can see you thought about it." says Cy.

"I just couldn't stand it. I tried to stay out of it, but I don't wanna see you hurt." says Joanne.

"Don't worry. You were my contact number in case of injury." says Cy.

"That's reassuring." says Joanne as Cy gets back underway.

"Cy, think about this for a moment." says Joanne, following behind.

"What do I have to think about?" asks Cy.

"How about the fact that you have no idea where to begin." says Joanne.

"That is a problem." says Cy.

"Renee could have come from Kalamazoo." says Joanne.

"No, it has to be local. Otherwise, Al would have noticed right away." says Cy.

"So, what if you're right? You can't fight this." says Joanne.

"See this," says Cy as he pulls a gun from his coat, "a couple of shots with this, and he'll never do it."

"Think for another moment." says Joanne as Cy returns the gun to his coat.

"Yesterday, you were all for this." says Cy.

"I was for the both of us doing it, not you alone." says Joanne.

"What part can you play in this whole thing?" asks Cy.

"I can defend myself and maybe talk to this Stacy character and help her as well." says Joanne.

"You are so selfless." says Cy.

"I know." says Joanne.

"I wouldn't think so, considering your upbringing." says Cy.

"Well, you're not an actor." says Joanne.

"That's a good point." says Cy.

"Cy, where are you going?" asks Joanne.

"Where am I going?" says Cy.

"That's right. If you're gonna help Stacy and Renee, maybe you should figure out where to go first." says Joanne.

"Let's start with Tom's Place." says Cy.

"Are you sure it's open?" asks Joanne.

"I asked Tom yesterday, and he told me that he likes being open every night." says Cy.

"You sure get around." says Joanne.

"I have my powers, and you have yours, Ms. Shulman, teacher of young minds." says Joanne.

"Not yet, Cy, not yet." says Joanne.

The duo soon arrive at Tom's Place. The place is packed with a rougher crowd than most nights as Cy and Joanne walk inside.

"This place is covered with riffraff. There should be someone who knows about Al and Stacy." says Cy.

"I trust your mind." says Joanne.

Cy and Joanne walk their way up to the bar and sit down.

"Now, we ask around for some information." says Cy.

"How do we do that without revealing ourselves?" asks Joanne.

"Easy, I'm Dallas Burroughs and you're... Marie." says Cy.

"Interesting name." says Joanne.

"Excuse me, can you tell me anything about a guy I'm looking for?" asks Cy to a man next to him in his gruff voice.

"What guy are you looking for?" asks the man in a Sheldon Leonard-type voice, with a matching look.

"A man named Al and his squeeze Stacy." says Cy.

"Al Turnan and Stacy Castle? I think I've heard of them guys. Why you ask?" says the man.

"I need to know a little about them." says Cy.

"Well, he's a very tough man. He grew up in Brooklyn and it shows." says the man.

"How well?" asks Cy.

"He surrounds himself with toughies, but they aren't like him. That makes him feel very powerful." says the man.

"I need to know where he is." says Cy.

"He live in the south part of town, the seedy part. A brown house on Bowman Street, number 137." says the man.

"Thanks for your time." says Cy as he gets up, along with Joanne.

"No problem, sir." says the man.

"Now, we got a place to go." says Cy as he and Joanne exit the place.

"You did all the talking, Cy." says Joanne.

"Now, we have to make sure we find Stacy and not Al." says Cy.

"A wise choice." says Joanne.

"This makes getting a boarder all worthwhile." says Cy.

"Cy, I have to talk to you about that." says Joanne, stopping in her tracks.
 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Tomorrow, Cy and Joanne have a much-needed discussion on love, pictures, and how that affects us in life.  What a talk!
 
Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.
 
A production of WGN Chicago.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment