Monday, October 11, 2010

Episode 91

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "The Truck Driving Man", Part 2

Last week, we ended our eighth serial of the series with Cy's daring adventure to save Stacy from Al and reunite her with Renee.  Eventually, all went well, Al ended up into custody and Renee and Stacy are together again.  However, Cy's mood was ruined when he spotted a big rig in the WHYP parking lot, which happens to belong to his father, Mitch Jones.
As we begin this week, Cy, Conrad, Phil, and Joanne have gathered around the truck, with the sleeping Mitch inside...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just then, a figure appears in the forward cab. The figure looks out and spots the group outside the rig. The driver's side door then opens as the figure steps out of the cab. The man is dressed in a trucker's traditional wear, complete with cap. His hair shows signs of brown, grey, and white. His face shows a million miles wore upon it.

"Good morning, people." says the man in a southern accent.

"Good morning, dad." says Cy.

"Howdy do, Mac." says the man.

"Phil, Joanne? I want you to meet Mitch Jones, truck driver." says Cy.

"A long-hauler man." says Mitch.

"This is your dad, Cy?" asks Joanne.

"Who is that pretty lady next to you?" asks Mitch.

"This is Joanne." says Cy.

"Charmed." says Mitch.

"He seems like a nice guy." says Joanne.

"That's his southern charm." says Cy.

"I'm drownin' in it." says Mitch.

"I'm Phil Turner, WHYP's lone intern." says Phil.

"Nice to meet you, Phil. You one of Cy's friends?" says Mitch.

"Since I started here." says Phil.

"He must be teachin' you a lot 'bout the radio business." says Mitch.

"As much as he can." says Phil.

"Conrad, it's sure nice to see you again." says Mitch.

"Nice to see you again, Mitch." says Conrad.

"And how's that sister of yours?" asks Mitch.

"Dad, let's save that for later." says Cy.

"Why, Mac?" asks Mitch.

"Because it's a touchy subject for Conrad now." says Cy.

"I don't care, I just wanna see my son." says Mitch as he walks over to where Cy is standing.

"Dad, I don't have time for this. I have to plan my radio show." says Cy.

"Say, Mitch, how did you find Cy? I mean, he's doesn't really talk to you." says Conrad.

"Well, I had been wonderin' that myself. One day, I heard a trucker tell me he heard someone with your name on this here radio station. When I had a chance, I ran up this way and I heard your voice." says Mitch.

"How long do you have until you have to go back on the road?" asks Cy.

"A few days. My next assignment is due to come in then." says Mitch.

"So, that means we get a chance to really enjoy your father, Cy." says Joanne.

"And I get to meet all of his friends." says Mitch.

"Don't expect Cy to lead the way." says Conrad.

Just then, Mr. Gold walks up to the station and spies the scene going on.

"What's going on here?" asks Mr. Gold as he walks up to where the group is standing.

"Nothing, Mr. Gold. We were just welcoming my father. Dad, this is my boss, Mr. Gold." says Cy.

"Mitch Jones, long-haul trucker." says Mitch.

"So, you're Scott's father?" asks Mr. Gold.

"That's right." says Mitch.

"And that is your truck, I presume?" asks Mr. Gold.

"That's right." says Mitch.

"You mind moving it out of my parking lot?" asks Mr. Gold.

"Better do as he says, he holds my job in his hands." says Cy.

"But I have nowhere to move it to." says Mitch.

"Why don't you park it at Cy's house?" asks Phil.

"I don't think that's a good idea." says Conrad.

"I don't mind. You can park it in my driveway." says Cy.

"Thanks, son. I'll move in now." says Mitch.

"Another good idea." says Mr. Gold as Mitch gets inside his rig.

The truck then roars to life and pulls out of the parking space. It then makes its way out of the parking lot with ease.

"Your father seems like a nice guy. I can't understand why you don't mention him more often." says Joanne.

"I'll explain later." says Conrad as Cy quietly heads inside the radio station.

"Must be a touchy subject." says Phil.

"Wait, Cy." says Conrad as he goes inside the building.

"Leave me alone, Conrad." says Cy as he makes his way to the green room.

"Can't we talk?" asks Conrad as he catches up to Cy.

"Not when my father stopped by." says Cy.

"So he's gonna be here a week. It's not that bad." says Conrad.

"I just had a great adventure where I helped two people. Then, when I'm actually enjoy my success, my father shows up." says Cy.

"He is your father, Cy." says Conrad.

"Then where was he during my childhood?" says Cy as he and Conrad arrive at the green room.

"That's no excuse." says Conrad.

"What can I do? I practically invited over to my house, where two women are engaged in romantic activities, my father, who might not be as open-minded as I." says Cy.

"Cy, be a good son, for at least a week." says Conrad.

"How can I?" asks Cy.

"Just think, with your mother gone, it's done to you and him." says Conrad.

"Don't remind me." says Cy.

"Hey, Cy." says Phil as he enters the room.

"Hello, Phil." says Cy.

"I never thought I would meet your father, Cy. He seems nice." says Phil.

"That's what everyone says." says Cy.

"That must be why your mother liked him." says Phil.

"So it seems." says Cy.

"I just wonder why you never really said anything about him." says Phil.

"Because you have never asked." says Cy.

"I never asked about your mother, yet I feel I know her." says Phil.

"That's true, Cy." says Conrad.

"I can't wait for him to meet the rest of us." says Phil.

"Sure, you can." says Cy.

"What's that supposed to mean?" asks Phil.

"You'll find out." says Cy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Tomorrow, Cy's father makes his home at Cy's house, where inside, two lovers are reuniting, which causes Cy to think how his father will take it.
 
Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.
 
A production of WGN Chicago.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment