Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Episode 92

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "The Truck Driving Man", Part 3

Yesterday, Cy's father, Mitch Jones, awakened from his sleep and stepped out from his truck to greet the gang gathered around it.  All gave him a warm welcome, except Cy, who proceeded to give the cold shoulder to his own father, which amazed Phil, who wondered how a son could act this, considering the lengths he go to for his mother.
As we begin, Phil has expressed in allowing everyone else to meet Mitch, who Cy feels isn't a fit anywhere.  We now head across town...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Down at the police station, Al sits in a chair, his hands hand-cuffed behind him, as Thomas and Polly look on at the sight before them.

"I can't believe what I'm seeing." says Polly.

"Believe it." says Thomas.

"He actually did what he say he'd do." says Polly.

"Cy never really lies." says Thomas.

"I thought he was." says Polly.

"When Cy lies, it's called acting." says Thomas.

"Another trait from his mother." says Polly.

"After what he did, he's the world's greatest." says Thomas.

"Don't say that. He was just lucky." says Polly.

"You heard that guy's story. Cy had him in a virtual staring contest for five hours." says Thomas.

"He could have been shot." says Polly.

"Not Cy. He managed to get the better of that guy." says Thomas.

"Al could have shot him." says Polly.

"Cy knew he wouldn't, because I know that when faced with a gun, you wait for a reason to shoot." says Thomas.

"Just having a gun pointed at you is reason enough." says Polly.

"The reason you wait for is when it stops being murder and starts being self-defense." says Thomas.

"That's a reason?" asks Polly.

"I know because I can understand his thought process." says Thomas.

"Probably from all that time spent living with Cy. Now, he has two sinners in his home." says Polly.

"They're not sinners. They're in love." says Thomas.

"It's not love in my book." says Polly.

"It is in Cy's book." says Thomas.

"His mother wrote it for him." says Polly.

"Polly, he is his own person." says Thomas.

"I guess so. He's gone out of his way to begin a music career for me." says Polly.

"That's true. I mean, he's see potential in you that no one else has really seen." says Thomas.

"Did you see it?" asks Polly.

"The moment I first heard you sing, I heard the potential." says Thomas.

"Anything else?" asks Polly.

"What do you mean by that?" asks Thomas.

"I've seen the way you look at me sometimes." says Polly.

"What kind of look are you looking at?" asks Thomas.

"A certain look, with a feeling behind it." says Polly.

"What kind of feeling would that be?" asks Thomas.

"I think you know, Thomas." says Polly.

"Maybe once or twice, I looked at you that way." says Thomas.

"Maybe I'll see it again." says Polly.

"Maybe today." says Thomas.

"I can hear you over here." says Officer Grace as she walks over to where Thomas and Polly are standing.

"We were just talking." says Polly.

"Sounds to me more than talking." says Officer Grace.

"What did it sound like to you?" asks Thomas.

"The sound of Cupid's arrow in the air hitting something." says Officer Grace, who then walks away.

Later that morning, Cy is making his way home as he walks up to the driveway of his home. Already parked in it is Mitch's big rig, which sticks out among the more natural markers in the neighborhood. Mitch is leaning up against the truck, looking around.

"Hello, Mac." says Mitch as Cy walks up.

"Hello, dad. What are you doing outside the house?" says Cy.

"I was waiting for you to show up and let me inside." says Mitch.

"That's very kind of you." says Cy as he continues to make his way to the front door, now with Mitch following behind.

"I didn't wanna ruin anything inside." says Mitch.

"Nothing much inside, although I should tell you about a few things." says Cy as he reaches the front door.

"Spill 'em, Mac." says Mitch.

"Well, I've recently got a dog." says Cy as he unlocks the front door.

"That's nice. A dog to keep you company." says Mitch.

"That's not all that's keeping me company." says Cy as he opens the door.

"What else is keeping you company?" asks Mitch as he and Cy walk inside the house.

"I think I should let you find out yourself." says Cy as he closes the door.

"Suit yourself." says Mitch.

"I think the first thing you should see is what on the mantle." says Cy, pointing towards it.

"Thanks, son. I think I should see how Debralee is doing." says Mitch as he makes his way up to the mantle.

"She's doing fine." says Cy.

"I still can't believe that I'm still here and she isn't." says Mitch.

"Believe it." says Cy.

"'One of these days, Mitch, you're gonna make a bad turn.' she once said to me." says Mitch.

"'Not with my rig.' That's what you said about that." says Cy.

"You remembered that." says Mitch.

"It was said during one of your many goodbyes." says Cy.

"Cy?" says a voice from the bedroom.

"Is that a woman's voice I hear?" asks Mitch as he makes his way back over to where Cy is standing.

"That's another thing keeping me company." says Cy.

"Who is that man?" asks Renee as she enters the living room.

"The same to you." says Mitch.

"This is Renee Wesner, my boarder." says Cy.

"Where does she sleep?" asks Mitch.

"In the bedroom." says Cy.

"Then where do you sleep, Mac?" asks Mitch.

"In that easy chair." says Cy.

"Why?" asks Mitch.

"I have no idea." says Cy.

"Well, nice to meet you, Renee." says Mitch.

"Cy, who is this man?" asks Renee.

"This is my father, Mitch Jones." says Cy.

"Nice to meet you." says Mitch.

"Who is that?" asks another voice.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Tomorrow, Mitch meets Stacy, and Cy waits for his father's reaction, which is one Cy himself, the judge of human character, did not expect.
 
Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.
 
A production of WGN Chicago.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment