Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Episode 42

The Mutual Broadcasting System brings you another episode of Life in Hyperion.

Today's episode: "It Only Takes a Moment", Part 1

Yesterday, we finally ended our three-week-plus serial, "The Melting of the Iceberg", with Polly's performance lasting into the night.  As all scattered back home, Polly was met by a gentleman outside of Tom's Place.  Lead inside, the man talked about the performance and raised the interest of a second one.  We now begin our fourth serial of the series with the following note...

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The weekend soon passes and Monday morning arrives once again for Hyperion. In the WHYP green room, Cy is passing the time to the show reading the newspaper next to the pinball machine, which Conrad is playing, its very noise ringing throughout the room.
"Could you play that game any louder?" asks Cy.
"Aren't I covering up the sounds of Barry and Terry?" asks Conrad.
"Yeah, but I think you're overdoing it." says Cy.
"I've got a lot of my mind today, so leave me alone." says Conrad.
"Don't you have a handle on this human Darlene thing yet?" asks Cy.
"Where my sister's drinking herself to death?" says Conrad.
"Can't you get over that?" asks Cy.
"Never." says Conrad.
"Guys?" says the voice of Polly.
Cy and Conrad turn their heads to see Polly, nervously standing in the doorway. Cy puts down the newspaper on the pinball machine and walks over to where Polly is standing.
"Polly, what finally brings you to WHYP?" asks Cy.
"I came to ask a favor." says Polly, her eyes still scanning the room.
"What kind of a favor?" asks Cy.
"A special favor." says Polly.
"I'm already with someone." says Cy.
"Not that kind of an favor." says Polly, slapping Cy's arm.
"I'm sorry. Your behavior seems to read otherwise." says Cy.
"Leave her alone, Cy!" says Conrad.
"What's with him, Cy?" asks Polly.
"All that with his sister makes him cranky." says Cy.
"What's that supposed to mean?" asks Conrad.
"Beats me." says Cy.
"Can we get back to me?" asks Polly.
"Of course. Now, what brings you here?" says Cy.
"I need your musical talents again." says Polly.
"A second show at Cathy's Tavern?" asks Cy.
"No, this is big." says Polly.
"How big?" asks Cy.
"After Friday's show, I was met by a man at the back door." says Polly.
"Are you sure this is music-related?" asks Cy.
"Quiet. Now, he told me that he was the owner of Tom's Place." says Polly.
"Hyperion's premier honky-tonk, run by a true Hyperion native?" asks Cy.
"That's the place. Now, he told me that he was impressed by my voice and that he wants me to perform there this weekend." says Polly.
"That was fast. Most acts don't get those offers until two, three weeks down the line." says Cy.
"Well, I was so impressed about the gig, I told him that I would bring my band with me and he agreed." says Polly.
"Say no more. You just bring Elmer and I'll take care of the rest." says Cy.
"See you later, Cy." says Polly, who then departs the room.
"And a star is born." says Cy.
"No, a star is not born." says Conrad.
"Be on my side of this one. Polly is on the verge of musical stardom and fame." says Cy.
"Already?" asks Conrad.
"I may be a little over-reaching, but you can never tell what fate has in store for Polly." says Cy.
"Or my sister." says Conrad.
"And what fate might that be, as if I already know?" asks Cy.
"Dying a drunk at the age of 30, because of you." says Conrad.
"That, my friend, has a long and noble tradition." says Cy.
"And my sister doesn't deserve it." says Conrad, letting the pinball drop away and walking away from the machine.
"You'll see my side, one of these days." says Cy.
"We have a show to do." says Conrad, who then leaves the room.
"And I have a career to start." says Cy, who then departs the room as well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Tomorrow, Cy does begin starting Polly's career, with a few phone calls and a lot of words from Conrad, most of them negative, but not to the subject at hand.

Join us, won't you?
Yours truly, John Maxwell.

A production of WGN Chicago.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment